The Sox need a bench

VAfan

We may have one of the weakest benches of any team in the majors.

Orlando Hudson -- he's horrible.

John Danks -- not ready for the bench yet. Needs real playing time to be productive in backup role.

Ray Olmedo -- just a body once we traded Escobar, who was probably our best bench player.

Tyler Flowers -- the best of the lot, only because he can catch the ball. His hitting is as bad as the rest.

These last two games against KC where we had multiple subs against sub-par KC pitching and scored only 3 runs prove that the bench is a valuable part of any team that aspires to win something meaningful.

-- I'd rather see DeWayne Wise over Jordan Danks at the moment.

-- We really need to cut Hudson and send Olmedo back down and find a good utility infielder -- switch hitter would be nice.

-- I'd love to see a right handed power guy who could pinch hit and help rest Dunn against lefties. If he's good enough, he might also give Konerko a breather.

-- Flowers has to stay, for better or worse. But we need him to be the only sub in games he plays.

I have no idea who may be available. But we can't wait for September call-ups to fill these holes.

Get on it, Kenny!

Perhaps this could be added as a subtitle of the Paul Konerko: Mild Concussion thread, which dwells mostly on our anemic bench? I did search post headings before I added this, and it wasn't obvious the Konerko thread would start this topic.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
There's a reason bench players are bench players. Yes, the Sox bench hasn't hit at all, but chances are anyone acquired to be a bench player isn't going to be a huge upgrade.

The reality is we pretty much used our bench guys to get starters for the major league roster. The bench could look a whole lot better, but then we'd have Brent Morel playing 3rd and Phil Humber still in the starting rotation.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
There's a reason bench players are bench players. Yes, the Sox bench hasn't hit at all, but chances are anyone acquired to be a bench player isn't going to be a huge upgrade.

The fact is Hudson & Olmedo can't hit, so even a .250 hitter would be a big upgrade. Hudson can only play one position well, so there's plenty of room to upgrade there.

Upgrades might not make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things, but one extra pinch hit or ball fielded can make a significance in close games. If we make the playoffs, we'll wish had better role players on the bench.

It just seems unlikely that KW is comfortable having to start Olmedo or Hudson probably once a week to cover for Youk and his injuries. I thought the last two games highlighted the need for an addition or two to the bench. Marty's probably the only person on this board that will agree with me, but getting someone like Pierre to play a few games in LF against tough righties would really help this team out. If this was last year, I'm sure Abreu would have been brought in and forced to play in the field.

This kinda hits it.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/8/9/32312...t-bench-players

The 2012 White Sox do not have a very deep bench. There is an outfielder, a catcher, and two utility men. None are particularly good at hitting. Hopefully that can be amended. If it can't, it's what we'll live with.

"BUT WE DESERVE A MORE COMPETENT BENCH! WHY CAN'T IT BE STRONGER?!?!?! THE 2005 WHITE SOX BENCH WAS MIGHTY AND HELPFUL AND PERFECT!!!!!"

Other than Frank Thomas, the 2005 bench kind of sucked at hitting. They weren't quite as bad as our current bunch, but they weren't much better. Backup catcher Chris Widger had the strongest season with an OPS of .679. Willie Harris? .647. Pablo Ozuna? .643. Timo Perez? Geoff Blum? Ross Gload? .562, .506, .419.

This team is a contender as long as multiple position players don't go down at once. A night of Orlando Hudson DHing is not the end of the world.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 08:21 PM)

So the 2005 bench basically had 4 players with a higher OPS than anyone on the Sox bench (not counting Olmedo's 1-3)? I don't think anyone is asking for the Sox to go out and acquire superstars for the bench, but it sure seems like guys like Fontenot and Pierre would be significant upgrades over the players they'd be replacing on the bench.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 07:33 PM)
Yeah, the bench isnt very important unless you have injuries. If we make the playoffs they wont see any time unless we make the WS.

Are you on board with Viciedo playing the rest of the way regardless of his struggles against RHP? Not meant sarcastically, wondering what your opinion on him was. It's actually ironic that if PK is out a week, I think there are some decent options to contribute at 1b/DH. If it was Alexei or Youk...oh boy

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
So the 2005 bench basically had 4 players with a higher OPS than anyone on the Sox bench (not counting Olmedo's 1-3)? I don't think anyone is asking for the Sox to go out and acquire superstars for the bench, but it sure seems like guys like Fontenot and Pierre would be significant upgrades over the players they'd be replacing on the bench.

The way the team is set up, the back up OF is going to have to be able to play all 3 positions. Juan Pierre in LF is bad enough, in CF or RF, oh my. And I'm still not seeing Fontenot as an upgrade. He doesn't hit with authority, has never played in the AL. His projected production has Orlando Hudson-level written all over it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)
The way the team is set up, the back up OF is going to have to be able to play all 3 positions. Juan Pierre in LF is bad enough, in CF or RF, oh my. And I'm still not seeing Fontenot as an upgrade. He doesn't hit with authority, has never played in the AL. His projected production has Orlando Hudson-level written all over it.

About 3 weeks until Pierre and Danks can be on the roster at the same time :)

If the Sox do have to DL Konerko, I really hope they don't bring up Morel.

Other than a horribly failed bunt, Danks has done fine as the bench OF, and he has speed and plays good defense at all three positions. I see no reason to upgrade there.

Flowers has struggled, but actually looked better the last few times he hit. And changing C's can have an affect on the pitching staff, so, I'd just assume keep him too.

But Hudson and Olmedo? Need some help there, if we can find it.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
We may have one of the weakest benches of any team in the majors.

Orlando Hudson -- he's horrible.

John Danks -- not ready for the bench yet. Needs real playing time to be productive in backup role.

Ray Olmedo -- just a body once we traded Escobar, who was probably our best bench player.

Tyler Flowers -- the best of the lot, only because he can catch the ball. His hitting is as bad as the rest.

These last two games against KC where we had multiple subs against sub-par KC pitching and scored only 3 runs prove that the bench is a valuable part of any team that aspires to win something meaningful.

-- I'd rather see DeWayne Wise over Jordan Danks at the moment.

-- We really need to cut Hudson and send Olmedo back down and find a good utility infielder -- switch hitter would be nice.

-- I'd love to see a right handed power guy who could pinch hit and help rest Dunn against lefties. If he's good enough, he might also give Konerko a breather.

-- Flowers has to stay, for better or worse. But we need him to be the only sub in games he plays.

I have no idea who may be available. But we can't wait for September call-ups to fill these holes.

Get on it, Kenny!

O RLY?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)

Great post. The bench isn't going to be improved this season.

The key is Viciedo to pull his head out of his ass and start hitting like he's capable of. A .250 batting average with horrible on base percentage isn't cutting it. He's just not having a very good season. Has anybody noticed Alexei's on base percentage this year is horrible with his 10 lousy walks as well?

If Beckham, Lexi and Viciedo were able to have a great final six weeks, our lineup might be amazing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 04:04 PM)
Great post. The bench isn't going to be improved this season.

The key is Viciedo to pull his head out of his ass and start hitting like he's capable of. A .250 batting average with horrible on base percentage isn't cutting it. He's just not having a very good season. Has anybody noticed Alexei's on base percentage this year is horrible with his 10 lousy walks as well?

If Beckham, Lexi and Viciedo were able to have a great final six weeks, our lineup might be amazing.

I don't mind Alexei's low OBP as much as the complete disappearance of his power. I'm used to him not taking walks, I can live with that, I'm not used to him having only 4 HR.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 08:16 PM)
I don't mind Alexei's low OBP as much as the complete disappearance of his power. I'm used to him not taking walks, I can live with that, I'm not used to him having only 4 HR.

Then again, his RISP performance has been so sensational that you don't mind the lack of power.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
Other than a horribly failed bunt, Danks has done fine as the bench OF, and he has speed and plays good defense at all three positions. I see no reason to upgrade there.

Flowers has struggled, but actually looked better the last few times he hit. And changing C's can have an affect on the pitching staff, so, I'd just assume keep him too.

But Hudson and Olmedo? Need some help there, if we can find it.

Ya, I don't quite people hating on Danks. Danks has been an effective bench player. Flowers is an effective back-up. The problem with the White Sox is outside of those 2 guys, the rest of there bench players are absolutely awful.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
I dunno. John Danks will be spending quite a bit of time on the bench this year.

Jordan Danks. Good catch!

I don't get to see all the games, but in the last Angels game, he came up with Alexei on third with a one-out triple. He did nothing and looked completely overmatched. I also read a post where with Pierzynski and De Aza on, he bunted into a double play when AJ fell asleep at second.

He might not be terrible as an occasional replacement for Viciedo or De Aza, but he has no ability to pinch hit, and isn't fast enough to scare anyone as a pinch runner. Plus, Robin doesn't think he's much of a defensive upgrade or he'd get some time for Viciedo in games where we have a close lead late.

The thing is, we have an option now -- DeWayne Wise. His .778 OPS is a lot better than Danks' .565. (Danks has one double out of 11 hits. Wise has 7 extra baggers in 16 hits, 3 doubles, a triple, and 3 HRs.) Wise also has 7 steals without being caught, making him our best potential pinch runner. Danks can't be out of options. I would replace him with Wise right now.

For the infield, we'll have to look elsewhere to replace both Olmedo and Hudson. I can't believe there aren't options out there. What I'd really like is a right handed bat with enough power to spell Dunn against lefties, or hit for Konerko if the concussion problem lingers. That might cost us something, but it's needed. Think how many games Youk helped us win when he came over. This race is likely going to the wire. 1-2 games could be the difference.

Edited by VAfan