Chris Sale Cy Young Watch

shago

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 02:11 AM)
Yep. It's got to be Price. His numbers are ridiculous.

How did you leave Verlander off the list though?

I know Win/Loss record is not solely on the pitcher but it definitely comes into play which will definitely be working against Felix and Verlander. Think at this point it is between Price/Weaver and if both of them falter Chris Sale/Verlander be next in line. Verlander does have a chance to beat out Sale because of his popularity but the first 2 mentioned are in command of it atm.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 12:19 AM)
I know Win/Loss record is not solely on the pitcher but it definitely comes into play which will definitely be working against Felix and Verlander. Think at this point it is between Price/Weaver and if both of them falter Chris Sale/Verlander be next in line. Verlander does have a chance to beat out Sale because of his popularity but the first 2 mentioned are in command of it atm.

Weaver has the lowest ERA+ and the lowest WAR of all five. I would put it at Price, Verlander, Sale, Felix, Weaver.

Weaver's WAR is only 2.9 according to baseball-refernce. The rest of them are 4+.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 02:25 AM)
Weaver has the lowest ERA+ and the lowest WAR of all five. I would put it at Price, Verlander, Sale, Felix, Weaver.

Weaver's WAR is only 2.9 according to baseball-refernce. The rest of them are 4+.

Even the dudes at ESPN are not giving Verlander any love...

Price, Weaver, Felix, Sale.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 12:32 AM)
Even the dudes at ESPN are not giving Verlander any love...

Price, Weaver, Felix, Sale.

Wait, do we care about ESPN again, all of the sudden? Verlander is leading the league in ERA+ and his WAR is the highest of them all, right at 6.0. That is good. No way he's not in the hunt.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 10:34 PM)
If he can beat Verlander in those 2 games and the Sox win the division I think he wins it.

Anyone know if that last start against TB lines up to be Price?? That could decide it right there too.

Isn't the voting done prior to the last week of the season? I know that post season stats don't count.

AL Ranks:

Innings:

Hernandez 1

Verlander 2

Price 5

Sale 15

Weaver 19

Wins:

Price 1

Weaver 1

Sale 3

Hernandez 7

Verlander 7

WHIP:

Weaver 1

Verlander 2

Sale 3

Hernandez 4

Price 5

ERA:

Price 1

Verlander 2

Hernandez 3

Sale 4

Weaver 5

K/9:

Verlander 4

Price 6

Sale 7

Hernandez 10

Weaver 22

K/BB:

Sale 1

Verlander 3

Hernandez 5

Weaver 11

Price 12

I'd say it's very close between Price, Verlander, and Sale, with Hernandez a bit behind them and Weaver a bit farther behind. Sale's biggest detriment is his innings count. 20 extra innings is a lot of added value when comparing guys whose other stats are similar.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 11:31 PM)
He's got 7 more starts.

8-28 at Bal

9-2 at Det (Sunday night vs verlander)

9-8 vs KC

9-13 vs Det (verlander again)

9-19 at KC

9-24 vs Cle

9-29 vs TB

Got to figure they'll rest him for one of those somewhere. 3 of those are on 5 day's rest, the remainder are normal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 08:32 AM)
Got to figure they'll rest him for one of those somewhere. 3 of those are on 5 day's rest, the remainder are normal.

Why is that? They could have used a 6 man the past 10 days, and instead pitched Sale on 4 days rest twice. This is the final push, with 39 games left. The rotation is set up for Sale to pitch Game 163/WC/Gm 1 ALDS.

Unless they really blow it open (unlikely), they're probably sticking with the rotation they have and not skipping anyone.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
Why is that? They could have used a 6 man the past 10 days, and instead pitched Sale on 4 days rest twice. This is the final push, with 39 games left. The rotation is set up for Sale to pitch Game 163/WC/Gm 1 ALDS.

Unless they really blow it open (unlikely), they're probably sticking with the rotation they have and not skipping anyone.

Honestly, it's because I'll be shocked if we get through the next 5+ weeks without Sale having another tired arm/89 mph fastball day.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 05:27 AM)
The Tigers have only won 60% of Verlander's starts.

No way he's in the Top 3 right now...and the Tigers are in 2nd place.

This I agree with. Verlander is one of the top 5 in this league for sure but neither he nor the Tigers have been dominating. I think it is a run bedtween Price, Weaver and Sale with Feliz possibly in the mix.