AJ Did Not Test Positive; No Story Here

flavum

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
Don't crucify the guys who have gotten caught, because they are simply the unlucky/careless ones.

They are still the one's caught and they should be crucified. They cheated. Just cause others are getting away with it, doesn't mean that if someone tests positively for PEDS, they shouldn't be booed for the rest of their career.

If there are two categories of PED users:

1) guys who know how to work the system and not get caught

2) guys who are careless or

Dumb and have a chance of being caught

Wouldn't AJ be in category 1 if he was hypothetically

using PEDs

Actually most catchers are pretty smart. Cannot remember any catchers being tied to PEDs/steroids/etc.

And I haven't heard anything about a press conference

Tomorrow.

Edited by sunofgold

On a sidenote, if true, next man up. Flowers has done a good job as a backup this year. Defensively he's solid and he's been calling good games and offensively, he's looking better as he's gotten more AB's. I still think Flowers has a shot to be a solid starting catcher in this league and if AJ did in fact get busted, then Flowers is going to get a hell of an opportunity here.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
If this is true then good on AJ for trying. It's a shame he got caught but after Melky and braun there's not doubt in my mind that this is running rampant in the league again.

I don't know. It would seem that at least a greater chunk of players are getting caught. I don't know if testing is getting better or if players just think they can get away with it. I also won't be surprised when they make the penalties harsher in the offseason.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:00 PM)
They are still the one's caught and they should be crucified. They cheated. Just cause others are getting away with it, doesn't mean that if someone tests positively for PEDS, they shouldn't be booed for the rest of their career.

Couldn't disagree more. The guys who are using and getting away with it are ok and we can still root for them, but the guys who get caught are evil and should be ostracized? Ok.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
Couldn't disagree more. The guys who are using and getting away with it are ok and we can still root for them, but the guys who get caught are evil and should be ostracized? Ok.

It's the same way with the law. We know we are among undetected criminals, but we aren't a dick to everyone just in case they're a criminal. No, we just focus on those that are caught. It's the only way to do it that doesn't make the innocent catch s*** they don't deserve.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:29 PM)
It's the same way with the law. We know we are among undetected criminals, but we aren't a dick to everyone just in case they're a criminal. No, we just focus on those that are caught. It's the only way to do it that doesn't make the innocent catch s*** they don't deserve.

Except these criminals are harming innocent people. Players using PEDs aren't harming anyone else.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 09:20 PM)

Look, I don't know who is using. But that doesn't mean those that do get caught should get a free pass because others are getting away with it. Should we not punish people just because other people get away with it?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
Except these criminals are harming innocent people. Players using PEDs aren't harming anyone else.

They are harming those players who aren't using? If your success is solely related to drugs, then you are taking the spot of another player who could be up at the majors making that paycheck (without cheating). If I was a clean player, I'd be livid.

And from everything I've heard and can tell, the majority of players are clean.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:31 PM)
They are harming those players who aren't using? If your success is solely related to drugs, then you are taking the spot of another player who could be up at the majors making that paycheck (without cheating). If I was a clean player, I'd be livid.

And from everything I've heard, there are still plenty of people in baseball that are clean.

I suppose I'm far more cynical on the subject than most. But it's based off of what I know, what I've seen and what I've been told.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
I suppose I'm far more cynical on the subject than most. But it's based off of what I know, what I've seen and what I've been told.

A few years ago, I had been told the majority was juicing. From everything I've been told the numbers have been drastically reduced. Still not to where it is perfect and there is probably on average 2-3 guys per 25 man roster using, but that is down significantly from what I had always heard the use was.

And this is still all speculation based upon what I've heard from various people within the majors/minors.

It hurts me. I hold baseball, my team, and my team's players in very high regard. My propensity as a fan and lover of the game is to romanticize the game and those in it. It sucks when my heroes are publicly humiliated, especially when it is for cheating. For that reason alone I should be allowed to be mad at AJ if I want.

I know that we are supposed to just see these guys as flawed human beings, yada yada. I don't care much about their personal lives if they want to be flawed husbands, fathers, friends, etc. This is a form of entertainment, and the nice thing about entertainment is that it often gives us something purer or simpler than reality. I support efforts to keep the on-field game from being corrupted, even if I generally think steroids are not morally offensive at this point it is still a performance advantage that others will not enjoy.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 10:31 PM)

And from everything I've heard and can tell, the majority of players are clean.

It's also cheating to gain more income. Costs are always passed on to the fans.

There is another angle to this story. The Hawk Harrelson angle.

We do know that AJ and hawk have some connection. And

AJ's mom has a last name of Harrelson (learned this on another thread on this website).

Some speculated that AJ and Hawk are related. not sure. Hawk did help to

get KW to sign AJ in '05 as a free agent.

Has the Hawk sounded sad or acting/announcing differently the last few

games?

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 12:12 AM)
There is another angle to this story. The Hawk Harrelson angle.

We do know that AJ and hawk have some connection. And

AJ's mom has a last name of Harrelson (learned this on another thread on this website).

Some speculated that AJ and Hawk are related. not sure. Hawk did help to

get KW to sign AJ in '05 as a free agent.

Has the Hawk sounded sad or acting/announcing differently the last few

games?

lol idk, he LEFT the booth before the end of Tuesday's drubbing :lolhitting

If this stuff turns out to be true, I will be very interested in how Hawk addresses it if at all. I assume he will since it would be harder not to do it than to simply acknowledge it, even if he doesn't offer a real opinion.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:14 PM)
lol idk, he LEFT the booth before the end of Tuesday's drubbing :lolhitting

If this stuff turns out to be true, I will be very interested in how Hawk addresses it if at all. I assume he will since it would be harder not to do it than to simply acknowledge it, even if he doesn't offer a real opinion.

I forgot what Hawk's stance is on PEDs. I am guessing that he against

it bc they didn't use back in the day. Only alcohol.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)
If this is true, who here thinks the Sox can keep their focus and finish the season strong? Something that does hurt if he's out is having to make Flowers face 3 or 4 very tough righties against the Tigers next week.

If this is true I don't think there's any chance they make the playoffs. Focus is gone, big part of the team gone...everything unravels from here. It could have unraveled anyway, but this would put an end to it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 12:24 AM)
If this is true I don't think there's any chance they make the playoffs. Focus is gone, big part of the team gone...everything unravels from here. It could have unraveled anyway, but this would put an end to it.

This is a likely ending, but it's possible that it gets twisted the opposite direction and motivates the hell out of everyone. Maybe they hated him and will be happy he's gone ;)

I also have to wonder if this isn't even a drop in the bucket of absurd things an MLB player may deal with on a daily basis.

grobstein made a shoutout to WSI on the air, no mention of soxtalk though

it was hilarious because he was being asked by a caller to show some online sources of this rumor and Les mentioned WSI but couldn't find the link lmao

it's because WSI removed public viewing of that thread, so afaik soxtalk is the only site that allows non-public viewing of this discussion