AJ Did Not Test Positive; No Story Here

flavum

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 09:00 PM)
Here is a good counter argument :

http://majorleagueaholes.com/2012/08/29/why-aj-is-clean/

His doubles are way down.

Also don't forget his 2011 ended early because of injury.

But that gave him more time to get ready for

Jesus, that is not a good counter argument. In fact, that's the argument for why Barry Bonds STARTED using steroids.

If his doubles are down, it means he is turning more of them into home runs. You like doubles in the minors for guys that are 19-22 because they will still fill into their bodies a bit more and develop power. Guys have hit for more power as they've gotten older, but they usually haven't been catchers. Oh, and injured and gave him more time to get ready for 2012? How about steroids to help heal the injured area and then steroids to help him lift and get into better physical shape.

I didn't read the article, and don't feel the need.

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 06:10 AM)
according to mully and hanley this morning, MLB has flat out denied that this story has any truth to it

they did not issue a "no comment" or "can't confirm/deny" statement, Mike Mulligan said they flat out called it false

FWIW

Does this mean the press conference in which the White Sox forgot to invite the press is cancelled? A lot of people around the country are going to be pissed. A few on this board as well.

Seems like there's reason to be optimistic...and reason to believe it's true. We hear that a guy says it's legit and there will be a press conference today, and we hear that MLB says it's false.

Like someone else asked: If we hear nothing today, does this go away or does it still loom?

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:02 PM)
Actually most catchers are pretty smart. Cannot remember any catchers being tied to PEDs/steroids/etc.

Um....Tyler Flowers.......Whats his name, the big power hitting, strong armed catcher that started with Texas, played for Detroit, Miami (won World Series), Yankees, I think.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 07:10 AM)
Um....Tyler Flowers.......Whats his name, the big power hitting, strong armed catcher that started with Texas, played for Detroit, Miami (won World Series), Yankees, I think.

Ivan Rodriguez. Never caught, but in my opinion as obvious of steroid user as there has been. As soon as the testing and suspensions started, he came back the next season skinny as hell. It was almost comical in my opinion.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 07:13 AM)
Ivan Rodriguez. Never caught, but in my opinion as obvious of steroid user as there has been. As soon as the testing and suspensions started, he came back the next season skinny as hell. It was almost comical in my opinion.

Yeah, that's him.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 07:10 AM)

Never heard someone describe Ivan Rodriguez as power hitting but he was definitely a roider, also It is highly likely Mike Piazza was a roider.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)
Never heard someone describe Ivan Rodriguez as power hitting but he was definitely a roider, also It is highly likely Mike Piazza was a roider.

The guy had a 7 year run where he hit 19, 20, 21, 35, 27, 25, 19 homers. That's a power-hitting catcher.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:35 PM)
Worst post ever. You have no idea who is or isn't using steroids across the league, yet you want to punish 24 innocent (as far as we know) people for a bad decision made by one teammate. I've never quite understood your position on steroids.

I don't want to have my own brain put an asterisk on the season. How many games have we won because of big plays by AJ (or for that matter, Rios, etc.)

I find out one of them tested positive, and the Sox make the playoffs, my brain is going to spend the whole time adding up how many wins we got because of the suspended guy. I go out for drinks with yankee fan friend of mine tonight, I'm going to have to say "yeah, that sweep where AJ helped us win a game with 3 hits...was crap." I don't want to have to defend my team when they have success, I don't want to have to come up with excuses like "well your guys are probably doing it too", I want to be able to brag about my team when they win.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 07:18 AM)
Seems like there's reason to be optimistic...and reason to believe it's true. We hear that a guy says it's legit and there will be a press conference today, and we hear that MLB says it's false.

Like someone else asked: If we hear nothing today, does this go away or does it still loom?

If we hear nothing today, it might kinda loom, this thread will get bumped a few times, but I consider "Hearing nothing" to be tantamount to "AJ passed every test that he took this season". If he somehow got out on a technicality, that's passing unless we somehow get details on the technicality and it winds up being Ryan Braun style crap.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 06:17 AM)
Does this mean the press conference in which the White Sox forgot to invite the press is cancelled? A lot of people around the country are going to be pissed. A few on this board as well.

Press conference is probably a rumor too. I don't see anything online about one.

Coop on the score now, says he hasn't heard anything about this and isn't even worth talking about since it's just a rumor

Mully clarified the MLB response. Sox front office heard the rumors, and contacted MLB yesterday/last night about this situation and were told there's nothing to it

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)

The guy the Cubs just traded to Texas too...Giovanny Soto, is that his name?

Great now that this is over it's time to grab the pitchforks & take out the bulls***ter.

Funny this came from WSI.

Controversial opinion? Ban.

Fart in the presence of a lady? Ban.

Run your little yapper about one of the greatest catchers & one of the most influential players in Sox history? Welcome aboard!