Banning Father Daughter dances in school

greg775

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 04:14 PM)
No, what I said fits in perfectly. You can still teach these kids values like that to help them avoid danger. But just because you are doing that doesn't mean you can't help remove some of the dangers from their lives.

Example:

1) Remember to look both ways and always cross at a crosswalk

-Yet schools still regularly supply crossing guards to keep the children from getting run over by a car.

2) Scissors are dangerous

-Yet schools still often require children in grads 1-4 to have those harmless plastic scissors

Schools are responsible for teaching children but also providing them with a safe environment. If the school has numerous children violently allergic to peanuts, they have to assure their safety just as they have to assure anyone else.

Like I said, just don't eat peanuts, OR, bring your own lunch if you have a highly specialized diet...or, the school should be able to not f*** that up and make sure the kid gets no peanuts...I don't think it's too much to ask of these people who just begged for raises...

What we do instead of punish all the kids that aren't allergic to peanut butter...I just find it absurd. Today it's peanut butter for X reason...tomorrow is something else for Y reason...and before you know it, you can eat a protein tablet with purified water and nothing else for Z reason.

Edited by Y2HH

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
I'm not saying special ed kids suing. Just a regular kid so hurt by getting cut that he doesn't want to go to school anymore. I can picture the parent: "Why can't my son be on the team? He is willing to go to practices and games just like the kids who are on the team? Let my son on the team dammit or we are suing you!!! My son is emotionally distressed over this."

What.

Tryouts. Can't be hurt by them because they're tryouts. There's literally no way that case would win.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
:lolhitting

Right, I forgot that you are an expert in the field of political correctness. Nevermind the fact that I'm in a journalism class that's entire purpose is understanding cultures and how to be politically correct. Nope, you're the expert. No discrimination goes on anymore in the US. Political Correctness can go away, because it's not needed. I guess we can all call Obama the n-word now.

I wasn't saying it's just white people who can be politically incorrect either. I know non-white commentators cross that line.

Oh, and if anyone mentions comedians, you're argument sucks. Carlin was as politically incorrect as they come.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
Right, I forgot that you are an expert in the field of political correctness. Nevermind the fact that I'm in a journalism class that's entire purpose is understanding cultures and how to be politically correct. Nope, you're the expert. No discrimination goes on anymore in the US. Political Correctness can go away, because it's not needed. I guess we can all call Obama the n-word now.

I wasn't saying it's just white people who can be politically incorrect either. I know non-white commentators cross that line.

Oh, and if anyone mentions comedians, you're argument sucks. Carlin was as politically incorrect as they come.

Um...no. Carlin wasn't racially incorrect, and theres a difference...so no, the comedian argument doesn't suck. Political correctness isn't just one aspect of being "correct", it's many. Being racially insensitive is part of that...and that's a HUGE part of the political correctness spectrum that other races can ignore. But go ahead and ignore that fact if it makes you feel better about yourself.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
Like I said, just don't eat peanuts, OR, bring your own lunch if you have a highly specialized diet...or, the school should be able to not f*** that up and make sure the kid gets no peanuts...I don't think it's too much to ask of these people who just begged for raises...

What we do instead of punish all the kids that aren't allergic to peanut butter...I just find it absurd. Today it's peanut butter for X reason...tomorrow is something else for Y reason...and before you know it, you can eat a protein tablet with purified water and nothing else for Z reason.

But the issue isn't kids with peanut allergies grabbing a peanut butter sandwich because he feels left out. It's that peanut residue can be on the table they eat at, and get digested by the kids.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 04:55 PM)
Um...no. Carlin wasn't racially incorrect, and theres a difference...so no, the comedian argument doesn't suck. Political correctness isn't just one aspect of being "correct", it's many. Being racially insensitive is part of that...and that's a HUGE part of the political correctness spectrum that other races can ignore. But go ahead and ignore that fact if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Yeah, but he was religiously incorrect. And I said he was politically incorrect. He was. We are talking about being politically correct. You said it's many aspects. Other than race, he was politically incorrect in every way imaginable.

And I know that other races can ignore it. Is it fair? No. Cry me a river.

But go ahead and ignore the fact that political correctness includes more then race, for example the topic that started this thread, if it makes you feel better about yourself.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 04:59 PM)
But the issue isn't kids with peanut allergies grabbing a peanut butter sandwich because he feels left out. It's that peanut residue can be on the table they eat at, and get digested by the kids.

Seems like a reach. If a kid is THAT allergic to something, maybe they should stay home and be home schooled...but it's absurd to have to change everything for every other kid.

Peanut Butter was a HUGE part of my childhood...so I find it absolutely absurd that we now have to deny our children that same thing in school because of a few kids that -- apparently -- will burst into flames if the sun touches the skin.

Shark jumped.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 05:04 PM)
Yeah, but he was religiously incorrect. And I said he was politically incorrect. He was. We are talking about being politically correct. You said it's many aspects. Other than race, he was politically incorrect in every way imaginable.

And I know that other races can ignore it. Is it fair? No. Cry me a river.

But go ahead and ignore the fact that political correctness includes more then race, for example the topic that started this thread, if it makes you feel better about yourself.

We agree.

Just like it's not fair that all kids can't eat peanut butter because one kid is allergic to it. ;) Maybe that kid should cry me a river, too.

I'm not ignoring the "fact that policial correctness includes more than race", if you read the post you replied too, you'd see I actually wrote exactly that... :P

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
We agree.

Just like it's not fair that all kids can't eat peanut butter because one kid is allergic to it. ;) Maybe that kid should cry me a river, too.

I'm not ignoring the "fact that policial correctness includes more than race", if you read the post you replied too, you'd see I actually wrote exactly that... :P

I know you wrote that, but we were talking about being PC. In no world was Carlin PC. We have censors because of the man.

And the peanut butter thing is still f***ing stupid.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 05:09 PM)
I know you wrote that, but we were talking about being PC. In no world was Carlin PC. We have censors because of the man.

And the peanut butter thing is still f***ing stupid.

Oh, by no stretch would I say Carlin was politically correct...

I'm not politically correct, either...nor will I ever be. I have little to no respect for political correctness. :P

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)
"I really hate political correctness" generally translates to "I really wish there weren't such consequences for being an unapologetic asshole."

I think I'd respect people's complaints about it more if they just said that instead.

You must hate political correctness then... ;)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)

I'm sure your attitude would be slightly different if your kid died because some random kid in class accidentally smeared peanut butter on them.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 09:20 PM)
I'm sure your attitude would be slightly different if your kid died because some random kid in class accidentally smeared peanut butter on them.

Still doesn't mean I think the entire world needs to adapt to my kid. It's logic like this that confuses and annoys me. This is more entitlement minded bulls***..."my kid is sooo important that I'm entitled to everyone else having to change what they can eat/do while around them". How about no...I want no part of that.

Would that be the best of situations for any parent, including myself? Hell no, of course not. But on the flip side, I don't want my kid living in a bubble wrapped world...but that's exactly what you just asked for. If my kid has some sort of deficiency to THAT insane of a degree, I'd home school them, because who's to say some kid won't bring some peanut butter to school and do it anyway just to see what happens?! Oh, that's right...nothing.

In other words, there is danger out there...and if you don't want them to ever be in any potential danger, wrap them in a bubble and keep them indoors and lifeless throughout your days...but this is no alternative IMO.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 07:01 AM)
Still doesn't mean I think the entire world needs to adapt to my kid. It's logic like this that confuses and annoys me. This is more entitlement minded bulls***..."my kid is sooo important that I'm entitled to everyone else having to change what they can eat/do while around them". How about no...I want no part of that.

Would that be the best of situations for any parent, including myself? Hell no, of course not. But on the flip side, I don't want my kid living in a bubble wrapped world...but that's exactly what you just asked for. If my kid has some sort of deficiency to THAT insane of a degree, I'd home school them, because who's to say some kid won't bring some peanut butter to school and do it anyway just to see what happens?! Oh, that's right...nothing.

In other words, there is danger out there...and if you don't want them to ever be in any potential danger, wrap them in a bubble and keep them indoors and lifeless throughout your days...but this is no alternative IMO.

Actually yes, you are insisting that the entire world needs to adapt to your kid, including the ones allergic to peanut butter.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 04:01 AM)

Talk about overreaction...sheesh. It's not like they're taking away sunshine and oxygen from these kids. It's peanut butter. Last I checked peanut butter isn't some essential nutrient that is required by everyone in order to exist. If you can save some lives by avoiding it at school then so be it. Stop clinging to your guns, religion, and peanut butter! :P