Peavy hires Berry as agent

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,0,517113.story

By Mark Gonzales Tribune reporter

11:59 a.m. CDT, October 5, 2012

Jake Peavy has enlisted the help of an agent who has negotiated some of the biggest contracts with the Chicago White Sox as well as some of the most lucrative deals in major league baseball recently.

Jeff Berry of CAA will represent Peavy, who will be one of the most sought-after free agent pitchers this winter.

Peavy’s hiring of Berry can’t hurt the Sox. Since assistant general manager Rick Hahn, the Sox’s chief negotiator who is expected to take over the GM duties soon, joined the Sox in 2001, he and Berry have agreed to terms on more than $170 million in contracts for Mark Buehrle, John Danks and Mark Teahen.

“Jake loves his teammates and the organization,” Berry said Friday. “Having said that, he’s excited to experience the free agent process for the first time in his career.

“He’s open to everything.”

In the past 12 months, Berry has negotiated more than $250 million in deals for pitchers Matt Cain, Buehrle and Danks. Cain signed a six-year, $127.5 million contract with San Francisco before the 2012 season that made him the highest-paid right handed pitcher.

Peavy and the Los Angeles Angels’ Zack Greinke are expected to be among the most attractive free agent pitchers this winter.

“Jake is 31, a three-time All-Star, a Cy Young winner, one of the best competitors in the game and pitching as well as ever,” Berry said.

Peavy rebounded from a detached latissimus dorsi muscle near his right shoulder in July of 2010 to lead the Sox with 219 innings, 32 starts, 194 strikeouts and four complete games in 2012 while staying injury-free the entire season.

His complete games were a career high, and his innings, starts and strikeouts were his most since his 2007 season with the Padres when he won the National League Cy Young Award.

In the past years, Peavy had been represented by Barry Axelrod, who is leaving the agent profession to join the Arizona Diamondbacks.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the hell can Jake as the article stated "be one of the most sought after" free agents this winter? Bye bye Jake. I do hope he goes to the NL so we don't have to face him, although I could picture Dunn hitting some bombs off Jake who throws a good number of meatballs up there per game. He's a good pitcher, but by no means dominant. And the fact he demands to stay in the game gives you some extra hacks against him in the later innings when he's done.

Since assistant general manager Rick Hahn, the Sox’s chief negotiator who is expected to take over the GM duties soon, joined the Sox in 2001, he and Berry have agreed to terms on more than $170 million in contracts for Mark Buehrle, John Danks and Mark Teahen.

There isn't anything more to this than the normal "If he's still here, Hahn will take over when Kenny leaves" is there?

How the hell can Jake as the article stated "be one of the most sought after" free agents this winter? Bye bye Jake. I do hope he goes to the NL so we don't have to face him, although I could picture Dunn hitting some bombs off Jake who throws a good number of meatballs up there per game. He's a good pitcher, but by no means dominant. And the fact he demands to stay in the game gives you some extra hacks against him in the later innings when he's done.

Agentspeak to the media really shouldnt be taken too seriously.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)

Uhhh maybe because minus wins he was a top 25 pitcher in baseball??? That might make him pretty sought after right??

17th ranked in yahoo fantasy baseball. (I know that means squat but ya, that happened)

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
I know it's good riddance. Seriously, who cares other than grammar nazis?

I'm usually not but that just stuck out for some reason since I'd never seen it before.

The ones I usually see are:

for all intensive purposes (for all intents and purposes)

mute point (moot point)

take for granite (take for granted)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)

Because he pitched really well for over 200 innings and there are only so many guys hitting the market. Sometimes I feel like this board doesn'[t understand context. You can't judge that statement without considering what is available in free agency. There's Greinke, Haren, Peavy, and E. Santana, and Peavy had a better season than all of them, except maybe Greinke.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
There isn't anything more to this than the normal "If he's still here, Hahn will take over when Kenny leaves" is there?

The talk is that Hahn is taking over now and that Kenny is going to be promoted to VP of Baseball.

Considering how much money the Sox paid Peavy over 3 1/2 seasons while getting about 1 1/2 years of valuable production, I understand the sentiment to see him leave.

I don't see the chairman paying up for a 31 year old pitcher who has had health issues.

Considering we control Floyd for one season, I predict we stay with him and the lefties.

From a winning perspective, with money aside for a minute, is having Peavy and Floyd as your primary RH weapons enough to contend for a championship?

Even if you ignore all injury risk, the fact remains that we are talking about 2 guys with diminished fastballs, both sitting around 91. Now I didn't watch Floyd's last few starts but I doubt he was up at 93-94 like old Floyd. Think about that AND THEN add injury risk.

I just don't think 90-91 gets it done from the right side against good hitters. Do we need a stud from the right side for 2013? In a perfect world for me, Peavy returns as our 2nd best RH starter.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
If we can get the kind of bargains we got on Buehrle and Danks there's absolutely no reason to let Peavy walk. This is fantastic news.

Danks is no bargain. Let someone else pay him, he's a #3 at this point in his career at by the end of his next contract he'll be a a #4.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
From a winning perspective, with money aside for a minute, is having Peavy and Floyd as your primary RH weapons enough to contend for a championship?

Even if you ignore all injury risk, the fact remains that we are talking about 2 guys with diminished fastballs, both sitting around 91. Now I didn't watch Floyd's last few starts but I doubt he was up at 93-94 like old Floyd. Think about that AND THEN add injury risk.

I just don't think 90-91 gets it done from the right side against good hitters. Do we need a stud from the right side for 2013? In a perfect world for me, Peavy returns as our 2nd best RH starter.

I think they're the type of guys that can get you into the playoffs, but not win you a championship.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 06:21 PM)
Danks is no bargain. Let someone else pay him, he's a #3 at this point in his career at by the end of his next contract he'll be a a #4.

Danks has zero trade value right now. They would have to pick up money to trade him because of the shoulder injury. Realistically they can't trade him until he proves he is healthy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 10:55 PM)
Danks has zero trade value right now. They would have to pick up money to trade him because of the shoulder injury. Realistically they can't trade him until he proves he is healthy.

Poorly worded on my part. I meant let someone else pay Peavy. Danks is a liability.