Ozzie Guillen, fired

southsider2k5

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 01:15 AM)
Happy Birthday? How are your physical problems? You OK these days/weeks?

Lmao, thanks Greg. It was a few days ago. Seizures have been gone for months and with them my injuries went too. Thanks for asking :)

Also, you've been cloned.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 23, 2012 -> 09:24 PM)
Reasonable points, but how do you guys avoid talking about Passon's position

No one has argue PASSAN'S (I mean, not to be a grammar nazi, but jesus, it's a dude's name, and IT'S PRINTED ON THE ARTICLE YOU CITED) position. Loria is a f***ing terrible owner. He's the absolute worst owner in all of sports. You can argue Clippers or whatever hockey owner you like, but there's no changing my position on that. That team was destined to fail.

It was not destined to fail to the point of the worst team in 13 years. That is absolutely, entirely, 100% on the manager. Terry Bevington would have won (at least) 73 games with that team.

and how he agrees with me.

I don't think Jeff Passan agrees with you. If anything, you agree with Jeff Passan.

Jeff Passan is an award winning writer. He is the BEST baseball columnist on the planet right now. In the article you posted (in the Marlins thread), he never defends Ozzie Guillen. He merely points out the faults of the WORST OWNER IN SPORTS.

In fact, that article had literally nothing to do with Ozzie Guillen. It merely had to do with the job vacancy as manager for the Marlins and how terrible the job really is.

---

I tweeted Passan to see if he believes that Ozzie did a terrible job despite Loria. Here's hoping he tweets back :cheers

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 12:26 AM)
Is anyone else enjoying the irony of Greg taking shots at a fat closer who failed to get the job done for Ozzie?

Also, the Castro comments would be akin to Ozzie saying something along the lines of "f*** the Irish people" in Chicago.

Or calling Blago a good governor...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 03:08 AM)
No one has argue PASSAN'S (I mean, not to be a grammar nazi, but jesus, it's a dude's name, and IT'S PRINTED ON THE ARTICLE YOU CITED) position. Loria is a f***ing terrible owner. He's the absolute worst owner in all of sports. You can argue Clippers or whatever hockey owner you like, but there's no changing my position on that. That team was destined to fail.

It was not destined to fail to the point of the worst team in 13 years. That is absolutely, entirely, 100% on the manager. Terry Bevington would have won (at least) 73 games with that team.

I don't think Jeff Passan agrees with you. If anything, you agree with Jeff Passan.

Jeff Passan is an award winning writer. He is the BEST baseball columnist on the planet right now. In the article you posted (in the Marlins thread), he never defends Ozzie Guillen. He merely points out the faults of the WORST OWNER IN SPORTS.

In fact, that article had literally nothing to do with Ozzie Guillen. It merely had to do with the job vacancy as manager for the Marlins and how terrible the job really is.

---

I tweeted Passan to see if he believes that Ozzie did a terrible job despite Loria. Here's hoping he tweets back :cheers

Guillen took a team that won 72 games the previous year. He got Buehrle, Reyes, Bell, and Zambrano added to the team and managed to lose three MORE games than the previous year. If that doesn't say that Ozzie did a horrible job with the Marlins, I don't know what does. I didn't think they would win the division, just because there are some really good teams in the NL East, but 69 wins and last place? That is a joke. That clearly shows the manager was a net detriment to the team.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 12:30 AM)
I personally think greg is reveling in his newfound celebrity. He's become the most popular person on the board. Even moreso than the awful kalapse. greg doesn't really care for ozzie THIS much. oh and q, happy late b-day. i saw that you had just turned 20 but was too drunk too send a pm.

:lol:

LOL, I love how the team was set up poorly even though it was universally lauded the team he finally got after languishing with the under talented White Sox was the hands down favorite in their division. He literally took a team that ADDED top level pieces including all stars and got LESS out of them.

Second. Ozzie is a HORRIBLE fit for a young team. With one of those clubhouses someone needs to be the adult and LEAD, 2 things Ozzie has a hard time doing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 01:56 AM)
Finally. Somebody answers each of my points! Thank you!

Is Q only 20? Really? Quintana? Much younger than I thought.

I don't care about popularity. I'm loyal to Ozzie for what he did for me (Sox).

He made my happy in 2005, mighty happy.

You're welcome but where's your rebuttal.

P.S. Happy Belated Birthday Q!

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)
I guess Ozzie will now recognize how good he had it in Chicago.

But can anyone actually say they didn't see this coming?

i know one person. and another person pretending to be one person

Winning the WS so quickly in Chicago was as much a curse for Ozzie as a blessing. Obviously it's a great honor & accomplishment and he will always be remembered in Chicago.

But it raised his already inflated ego through the f***ing roof. Also, he suddenly thought that managing was so easy and he knew everything. When his teams started to falter, he just cried & b****ed & made a fool of himself instead of you know, managing the team. He was never humbled, and I doubt this will do it either. I don't see how a team could hire him as manager, unless Caracas gets a MLB franchise.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 06:11 AM)
1. It gets old.

2. In the heavily Cuban Miami that's just a stupid, stupid thing to say. It's that kind of stupidity/lack of thinking before he speaks that will keep him out of the booth.

3.That fatboy closer was coming of 3 straight all star seasons including back to back Rolaids Relief Awards...at around the same size.

4.They ADDED Carlos Lee, team still sucked somehow, then they traded and gave up, it was useless.

5. It wasn't just the comments on Loria that got him fired but I'm sure it was the straw that broke the camels back.

6. Loria gave him a SOLID team that should have no doubt been a contender, many experts thought that.

But Buehrle must be awful because Loria brought him in right?

1.) Why does the cussing get old? I still say Loria is a hypocrite for laughing his butt off at the F bombs and loving Oz's personality before all the losing began.

2.) Maybe, but I don't think he's said crazy things in as studio host.

3.) Can you deny Heath Bell loafed in the offseason to get that lousy?

4.) The Miami players failed. Again this is a case of assessing too much blame to a manager. Players play.

5.) I think Loria was pissed he got called out by a guy who was supposed to be afraid of the big, bad owner.

6.) Loria didn't give him a solid team. Bell was a critical piece who was a joke. Lotta bums in that clubhouse, but one stud admittedly in Mark. They don't need Buehrle now in rebuilding. We have pieces to trade. Get him back IMO.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)
1.) Why does the cussing get old? I still say Loria is a hypocrite for laughing his butt off at the F bombs and loving Oz's personality before all the losing began.

4.) The Miami players failed. Again this is a case of assessing too much blame to a manager. Players play.

5.) I think Loria was pissed he got called out by a guy who was supposed to be afraid of the big, bad owner.

6.) Loria didn't give him a solid team. Bell was a critical piece who was a joke. Lotta bums in that clubhouse, but one stud admittedly in Mark. They don't need Buehrle now in rebuilding. We have pieces to trade. Get him back IMO.

So you believe Ozzie doesn't deserve much credit for 2005 anyway, since it's the players that play? Interesting point greg, I'm sure many here agree with you.

Greg, you are being a hypocrite. You posted to get some posts removed but wonder why Ozzie's cussing would get old. Isn't baseball a family sport?

I just wonder where he goes from here. I don't think anyone wii offer him multi-years to manage. Roger said something yesterday that if he wanted to manage again he probably would have to coach first, and said if he coached, somehow it would screw up his pension. I also read Fox didn't want him back for the WS this year as his work ethic wasn't the best. If he were to broadcast, whoever hired him would be a wreck because he could cuss at anytime let alone insult all the listeners.

Edited by Dick Allen

How is that? This is a team that added about half a billion dollars worth of all-star players, and got three games worse.

The team Ozzie left lost three big players, and ended up six games better.

What do those have in common? The worse teams had Guillen as a manager, despite having much more talent then the former team.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
So you believe Ozzie doesn't deserve much credit for 2005 anyway, since it's the players that play? Interesting point greg, I'm sure many here agree with you.

I think the 05 players deserve the most credit and for the most part I've been very loyal to them as well. But Oz was the manager so I tend to want to thank/praise him a lot as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 06:41 PM)
You only think that now, at the beginning of the season you thought they were very good and favorites.

Only because everybody else was saying that. I didn't know much about the team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 06:47 PM)
How is that? This is a team that added about half a billion dollars worth of all-star players, and got three games worse.

The team Ozzie left lost three big players, and ended up six games better.

What do those have in common? The worse teams had Guillen as a manager, despite having much more talent then the former team.

Miami added a few players but tell me you think that team had WS champ written all over it? One thing is for sure, Ozzie is going away, far away out of the public eye and you guys that dislike him have it made. I mean he'll have absolutely no forum anymore so he gawn. We're not going to hear much if anything from Ozzie Guillen (except for any upcoming stories re. his Miami firing) for years to come unless some team hires him as manager like the Jays or Rockies.

Edited by greg775