Ozzie Guillen, fired

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)
Excellent post. I do disagree that he cussed OUT his coworkers. He cussed around them a lot. He did call out his boss and got canned for it.

So if you agree with that post, why do you think Ozzie deserved another year? If anything, the Marlins are saving him from himself.

I imagine he's going to have a tough time finding another managerial job as it is. If he were to have 2 more years like the one he just had, he wouldn't be able to land a job managing the Bad News Bears.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 10:21 PM)
So if you agree with that post, why do you think Ozzie deserved another year? If anything, the Marlins are saving him from himself.

I imagine he's going to have a tough time finding another managerial job as it is. If he were to have 2 more years like the one he just had, he wouldn't be able to land a job managing the Bad News Bears.

Cause he signed a four-year deal. Getting rid of a guy after one year is kind of brash. Now if they blamed it on the Castro thing, I guess that's fine to axe him after one.

There is absolutely no evidence at all he is a "horrible manager." Did he suck this past season? Yes. But so did many other facets of that team.

Ozzie Guillen's record last six seasons - 475-496 (.489)

Ozzie Guillen's teams' average payroll last six seasons - $113,000,000

/evidence

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
Cause he signed a four-year deal. Getting rid of a guy after one year is kind of brash. Now if they blamed it on the Castro thing, I guess that's fine to axe him after one.

Considering his body of work the last couple of years, they probably made the right decision. Nothing he has said or done has indicated that it was going to get any better in the next 3 years.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)
Ozzie Guillen's record last six seasons - 475-496 (.489)

Ozzie Guillen's teams' average payroll last six seasons - $113,000,000

/evidence

Fair enough. In your guys' opinion who IS a good manager. I'm thinking there are no good managers out there under your guys' criteria.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
Fair enough. In your guys' opinion who IS a good manager. I'm thinking there are no good managers out there under your guys' criteria.

+1 here for Bruce Bochy. He's been the manager for all of the Padres post season appearances including a world series and has now taken the Giants to 2. He is an above .500 manager even though he's been in charge of some really terrible low payroll teams.

He played nearly 10 seasons as a catcher before taking the reigns with the San Diego Padres in 1995. He took a franchise that had not been all that good historically to the 1998 World Series and four National League Western divisional titles before moving up the coast to San Francisco to replace Felipe Alou for the 2007 season.

All Bochy has done with the Giants was guide the team to their first World Series championship since they moved from New York in 1958 two years ago.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)

Look a couple hundred miles north of Miami. Joe Maddon is the best manager in baseball, by far.

He gets dealt teams with $40 and $50 million payrolls and has won 84 games or more in every season since 2008. That's what you call doing more with less. It's also worth mentioning he led the Rays to two playoff appearances in the past 4 years, once to the World Series.

Edited by chw42

You can argue whether he's a good manager or not...but is he worth the headache is the main question. I honestly have a hard time seeing any teams besides 1 or 2 MAYBE that would even take a chance on him in the next year or so.

There is absolutely no evidence at all he is a "horrible manager." Did he suck this past season? Yes. But so did many other facets of that team.

This is two straight teams that he significantly underperformed the manager he either succeeded, or was succeed by, even when he had much more talent than the other manager. That alone tells a lot.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 23, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
Ozzie won't manage on a one year contract. considering how the last 2 seasons have gone, why would any team give him more than one year? I really don't think he is too upset about today's announcement, but it will probably keep him from managing again unless he has been humbled enough to work on one year contracts.

He would be stupid to work in baseball. It would void the 3 years of his Marlin contract.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
Winning the WS so quickly in Chicago was as much a curse for Ozzie as a blessing. Obviously it's a great honor & accomplishment and he will always be remembered in Chicago.

But it raised his already inflated ego through the f***ing roof. Also, he suddenly thought that managing was so easy and he knew everything. When his teams started to falter, he just cried & b****ed & made a fool of himself instead of you know, managing the team. He was never humbled, and I doubt this will do it either. I don't see how a team could hire him as manager, unless Caracas gets a MLB franchise.

He's the MLB version of Ditka.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
Speaking of Ozzie being fired, was Cowley fired as well? I haven't heard anything come from that jerkoff's mouth in a while.

I think he's the Bulls' beat writer now for the Sun Times. His columnist days were ova before Ozzie even got canned. 2012 was not kind to Team Guillen.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 08:14 PM)
Yeah, like when he was going to make a stupid trade thinking the Colts were going to draft Ricky Williams.

If doing a few stupid things made a person unintelligent we'd all be considered half wits.

Its doing it repeatedly that makes me doubt ozzies intelligence.

Edited by MAX

This latest Loria fiasco should rejuvenate Ozzie's career. Loria is a disgrace to the game with this trade with Toronto. I just wish the Sox fleeced him like Toronto did. Anyway, Ozzie should be fine again with Loria the laughingstock of sports. Nobody can or should work for Loria. I wish Oz's contract would let him get another job, though. He shouldn't have to sit around collecting paychecks but doing nothing else. Loria's the one who fired him. I think when the Royals fire Yost next season in May, Oz would be perfect for KC.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 11:10 PM)
This latest Loria fiasco should rejuvenate Ozzie's career. Loria is a disgrace to the game with this trade with Toronto. I just wish the Sox fleeced him like Toronto did. Anyway, Ozzie should be fine again with Loria the laughingstock of sports. Nobody can or should work for Loria. I wish Oz's contract would let him get another job, though. He shouldn't have to sit around collecting paychecks but doing nothing else. Loria's the one who fired him. I think when the Royals fire Yost next season in May, Oz would be perfect for KC.

Ozzie is the worst fit for KC.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 12:10 AM)

Loria still got him the talent last year and the team failed....I wish Loria would have kept the team around just to see if they could turn it around under new management like the Sox did after Ozzie.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 11:10 PM)

Ozzie had a whole lot to do with that roster failing. This doesn't help him at all.