AJ will not return to Sox

Big Hurt35

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 08:50 PM)
I saw him playing for the Albuquerque Isotopes last year. Still has big power and can't hit a fastball.

I saw him play in the minors and was convinced with his strikeouts he would never hit MLB pitching. His defense sucked on defense.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 09:41 PM)
Flowers on AJ: "He was a very mature, positive influence on me this year, helping me understand baseball and life and fatherhood." -- Merkin

Such a scumbag that AJ is.

If the best thing you can say about a team mate is that he was mature and a positive influence, it says it. It's just a player being polite and not saying "he really had not time for me."

How about "he was a great guy and I'm going to miss him."

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 05:14 AM)
I'd love to see a poll that asked MLB GM's who'd they rather have as their starting catcher going forward: AJ or Flowers. I bet most of you guys would be surprised. Hahn had the choice. He chose Flowers. Deal with it.

For one year? Yeah, there is not a GM in baseball who would go with Flowers.

my one input before i go to bed... we are better off without AJ

I'm tired of people holding onto players for far too long, that only leads to bad contracts, etc.

How can we develop players when we do not let them play, lets remember TFlo at one point had a nice rave about him, lets put some trust into Hahn.

Has anyone thought about brian mccann?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)

one year on a semi-cash strapped team? I think you would be surprised. There are many doubters in AJ's year last year, wouldnt be surprised for him to be below career AVGs next year

Sometimes thinking like a business owner > ***

Edited by staxx

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 05:18 AM)
one year on a semi-cash strapped team? I think you would be surprised. There are many doubters in AJ's year last year, wouldnt be surprised for him to be below career AVGs next year

Sometimes thinking like a business owner > ***

Oh, I have no doubt this was a business/saving payroll move.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 12:16 AM)

Well, assuming it was a vacuum choice, obviously AJ is more likely to produce offensive numbers this season. However, if they had Flowers in the waiting, no longer developing, and capable of providing better defense, comparable power and a better walk rate immediately at a fraction of the cost...I bet plenty of GM's would make the same choice as Hahn.

There weren't exactly droves of suitors out there for AJ.

That said, my sentimental half will miss him and his dickishness.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 11:16 PM)

I call BS. He's an awful defender. He had a career year in his mid 30's. If he was anybody else, we'd all be convinced he was cheating. He's a DH playing an important defensive position. For the life of me, I can't understand the butt hurt. I really can't. Granted, I've always disliked the guy, but I'll root for a guy I don't like, if it's the right move. Resigning AJ clearly wasn't the right move. The only thing he had going for him was hitting from the left side. I'd make a decent wager Flowers puts up a better WAR with more HR's and walks. Its pretty evident Rick Hahn agrees.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 10:20 PM)
Oh, I have no doubt this was a business/saving payroll move.

As do I, but personally at this point in time believe we have little shot versus the tigers this year, why not try to develop flowers? What if he turns into a legit .260/20/75 threat? Hahn will look like a magician, But yes i know, what if he doesnt, well then were all in for a long summer.... go D'Backs?

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 04:23 AM)
As do I, but personally at this point in time believe we have little shot versus the tigers this year, why not try to develop flowers? What if he turns into a legit .260/20/75 threat? Hahn will look like a magician, But yes i know, what if he doesnt, well then were all in for a long summer.... go D'Backs?

He won't. Tyler Flowers is awful. I know we are a little out of MLB season and we may be forgetting some, but it was just a few months ago where we all wanted him gone because he wasn't a good enough back-up catcher. One that barely played. Now he's our starting catcher. Well, I don't think he will be. Hopefully Hahn has another move.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
He won't. Tyler Flowers is awful. I know we are a little out of MLB season and we may be forgetting some, but it was just a few months ago where we all wanted him gone because he wasn't a good enough back-up catcher. One that barely played. Now he's our starting catcher. Well, I don't think he will be. Hopefully Hahn has another move.

This is the key. It's time to see how he produces offensively with consistent at bats. He did show flashes of MLB capabilties last year. We know it's an improvement defensively.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)

I really hope Hahn has another move, because I don't want flowers as our catcher. I was speaking simply in terms of what if. Far too many times have I seen him whiff at pitches. My point was I thought that AJ's time had run out, BUT we need something better than TFlo

7.5 million is not close to what the Sox would have paid if they could have gotten him on the cheap. I honestly see that money going towards one of the trade target's contracts.

If we unloaded more players during last season I would have expected us to sign Saunders as they tried to acquire him last season. Now I assume after we unload Floyd we are going to reinvest in the pen/OF

It's like people have completely ignored how much of an offensive force Tyler Flowers was in the minors. His numbers look just as good, if not better, than Mike Napoli's, and he doesn't show the incredible LH/RH splits that Napoli has.

With the amount of vitriol thrown around by those who favored AJ coming back, it reminds me of when Ventura was hired - except that nobody liked the Ventura hire. There was no way the Sox would have brought him, nor should there have been. It's time to start developing the catcher of the future that was acquired 4 years ago.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)
7.5 million is not close to what the Sox would have paid if they could have gotten him on the cheap. I honestly see that money going towards one of the trade target's contracts.

If we unloaded more players during last season I would have expected us to sign Saunders as they tried to acquire him last season. Now I assume after we unload Floyd we are going to reinvest in the pen/OF

What are are the White Sox looking to do in the trade market? Any names being rumored? Any positions?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)
I'd love to see a poll that asked MLB GM's who'd they rather have as their starting catcher going forward: AJ or Flowers. I bet most of you guys would be surprised. Hahn had the choice. He chose Flowers. Deal with it.

For 2013, at the same price, the one surprised would be you. If AJ could be signed making what Flowers is making, Hahn would have chosen AJ. Letting AJ go was about money, not performance. If the Sox really thought Flowers was better than AJ, he would have played a lot more in 2012. Another thing AJ did was keep the back up off the field. I don't know if Hahn is serious about Gimenez, but if this means he gets 55 starts, you can't forget that as part of the downgrade.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2012 -> 07:40 AM)
Yet, AJ floundered for how long on the sidelines of free agency while other catchers were signed to multi-year deals.

More AJ isn't any good and nobody wants him hyperbole.

The catchers who signed were back ups like Laird and Ross. The only starting catcher who signed I believe, was Russell Martin. Napoli, who isn't really a catcher, has not signed.