2013 TV Thread

knightni

HBO pays s*** money for programming same thing that AMC is doing.

One thing about shows is people want them to come out of the gate flying and then be that good for the duration. Shows lose their luster unless they are scripted comedies written by genius comedians.

The Wire was a show that held water for all five seasons but the plot was so spread out that almost every season was a new show but also not to complex as GOT as lose some of the story. I think most of the GOT story is lost on a good percentage of the audience.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:41 PM)

One thing about shows is people want them to come out of the gate flying and then be that good for the duration. Shows lose their luster unless they are scripted comedies written by genius comedians.

The Wire was a show that held water for all five seasons but the plot was so spread out that almost every season was a new show but also not to complex as GOT as lose some of the story. I think most of the GOT story is lost on a good percentage of the audience.

I don't know, a lot of the longest running cable shows are dramas, not comedies. Dexter, sopranos, the wire, 6 feet under GoT true blood

I'm not sure where to put Weeds, it is funny but not really a straightforward comedy.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
I don't know, a lot of the longest running cable shows are dramas, not comedies. Dexter, sopranos, the wire, 6 feet under GoT true blood

I'm not sure where to put Weeds, it is funny but not really a straightforward comedy.

Yes but they have up and down seasons and are at the liberty of the writers to continue on with an arc as well as subplots used to advance the show. Lost was amazing for three years but then nothing. Shows like the Simpsons, Seinfeld and Mash can have a s*** episode but it is independent of the preceding and next episode as the writers have nothing more than the next week to worry about.

Dramas are at the mercy of the writers ability and then the audiences capability to understand.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 07:13 PM)
I'm pretty confident in Game Of Thrones sticking around as long as it wants to. It's got the huge crowd appeal due to the graphic violence, like Walking Dead. Unlike Walking Dead though, it follows it up with great plot, acting, dialogue, etc.

GoT is around as long as there is book material. They are catching up to the books quicker than they are being written

I'm actually fairly disappointed that next season will be the last one for Boardwalk, and that it will be shorter. I wanted to watch a lot of these guys reach their peaks and/or meet their reality-based demises and how the creators would show them play out. Unless they do a lengthy montage, which I don't think could do it justice anyway, they won't get that done.

The production on The Sound of Music Live was very impressive. Nice transitions between scenes. Solid lighting. Audio is good for a production of this size. Live theater is complicated, on that scale... it's even more so. If you subtract Carrie Underwood's dreadful acting, it was actually a pretty good presentation.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 09:00 AM)
The production on The Sound of Music Live was very impressive. Nice transitions between scenes. Solid lighting. Audio is good for a production of this size. Live theater is complicated, on that scale... it's even more so. If you subtract Carrie Underwood's dreadful acting, it was actually a pretty good presentation.

You are the first to praise it that I've seen.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:41 PM)

Do you mean s*** tons of money? I've never heard of any complaint that HBO doesn't spend ENOUGH money. They spent something like 100 million to build a set for Rome, a show that lasted all of two seasons.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
The show runners know the ending. They'll pass the books.

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/06/what-hap...p-to-the-books/

I don't think anyone wants the series to pass the books, but it seems almost like an inevitability for the slowest author in the world.

It also bears mentioning that just because the show runners know the ending doesn't mean they know the details of how Martin intends to get there...

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)
http://winteriscoming.net/2013/06/what-hap...p-to-the-books/

I don't think anyone wants the series to pass the books, but it seems almost like an inevitability for the slowest author in the world.

It also bears mentioning that just because the show runners know the ending doesn't mean they know the details of how Martin intends to get there...

I still feel like they could stall and make a season out of half a book if they really needed to.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
You are the first to praise it that I've seen.

I'm not praising it. For what it was, a massive live musical performance, it was well done... once again, minus Underwood's bad acting. If not for her acting, it would have gotten good reviews.

I think too many people expected this to be movie quality. It's LIVE! They dont have the luxury of setting up lights for every take and camera angle. It's going to look different. it looked... like a stage show. As someone who works for a performing arts center, it looked exactly how I expected it. The audio was pretty solid. A few times they missed turning a mic on, but that's to be expected. moving from scene to seen was pretty solid. A stage show has to find unique ways to transition between scenes, and they did a darn good job.

They never hid this was a stage show, they embraced it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
I still feel like they could stall and make a season out of half a book if they really needed to.

absolutely. IMO its going to take at least 4 years to completely catch up to the books, despite what HBO set as their timeline. We are still just midway through book three going into season 4

This season wraps up Storm of Swords and apparently is going to pull a couple story lines from FFC/DWD. They'll need at least 2 seasons for FFC/DWD but could easily draw it out over three, especially if WoW comes out in the next 18 months and gives them a little more source info. It's going to be tough for GRRM to beat the tv series but it's still possible. It's really going to depend on how quickly he can get Dream of Spring written.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
Do you mean s*** tons of money? I've never heard of any complaint that HBO doesn't spend ENOUGH money. They spent something like 100 million to build a set for Rome, a show that lasted all of two seasons.

Howard Stern has complained that they do not pay developers or actors well. I suppose he could be wrong.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
This season wraps up Storm of Swords and apparently is going to pull a couple story lines from FFC/DWD. They'll need at least 2 seasons for FFC/DWD but could easily draw it out over three, especially if WoW comes out in the next 18 months and gives them a little more source info. It's going to be tough for GRRM to beat the tv series but it's still possible. It's really going to depend on how quickly he can get Dream of Spring written.

HBO announced last week that FFC/DWD will be represented by 3 seasons of television. However, episodes will be reduced to 30 minutes in length and be followed by a new 30-minute companion series "Dreaming of Daario" starring Emilia Clark.

"We felt this was the best way to stay true to the books," stated showrunner D. B. Weiss.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 01:24 PM)
HBO announced last week that FFC/DWD will be represented by 3 seasons of television. However, episodes will be reduced to 30 minutes in length and be followed by a new 30-minute companion series "Dreaming of Daario" starring Emilia Clark.

"We felt this was the best way to stay true to the books," stated showrunner D. B. Weiss.

:lol:

Ugh, don't remind me.