2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 11:23 PM)
No. I said I won't be buying either, but would lean towards the Xbox because I'm not as interested in gaming as I used to be. Microsoft's vision is far more forward thinking. If you're going to be condencsending, at least try to provide some type of argument.

How are they more forward thinking? By doing what everyone else is doing? Microsoft COULD have killed it this generation with their decade-old goal of making the xbox an all-in-one entertainment hub, but they've yet to get anywhere close to that. And really they're dumb thinking that they could ever get there. Sony has the same capabilities. Hell, my Samsung TV has the same capabilities. HBOGO, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, etc are never, ever going to become exclusive to one company, so in that respect they're ALL the same. Same with renting/buying movies or tv shows, everyone does that too. If Microsoft had partnered with Comcast or DirecTV or something, THEN I would have jumped on the chance to have my gaming machine work in tandem with my cable box. But that's not happening this generation.

So it comes down to one thing - gaming. And you've admitted Sony actually addressed that aspect of a GAMING console while Microsoft did not.

The reasons to buy the PS4 (so far): (1) no online requirement, (2) no online membership (except to play multiplayer), (3) no used game blocking, (4) no forced Kinect/motion bulls***, (5) vastly better exclusives (personal preference, admittedly) and (6) $100 bucks cheaper.

(and this is coming from a guy that owns both a ps3 and 360 and enjoyed/hated parts of both)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 08:19 PM)
People have said this since GameCube, and the Wii came in and sold like crazy. Sometimes they swing and miss bigtime, but they certainly aren't dead.

Yeah that's fair. I guess I look at it as they're now 1 for their last 3 and really I think that came down to catching onto a gimmick that they've been trying for 20 years, starting with the Nintendo glove. And that gimmick is dead. No one gives a crap about motion controls. No one gives a crap about the Kinect style motion controls. Clearly no one cares about having a big ass tablet controller. It's a gimmick that's cool to try but there's practically zero applicability to any good, modern games. They're so far behind Sony and Microsoft they basically have to pitch a perfect game going forward to stay in the console business.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)
How are they more forward thinking? By doing what everyone else is doing? Microsoft COULD have killed it this generation with their decade-old goal of making the xbox an all-in-one entertainment hub, but they've yet to get anywhere close to that. And really they're dumb thinking that they could ever get there. Sony has the same capabilities. Hell, my Samsung TV has the same capabilities. HBOGO, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, etc are never, ever going to become exclusive to one company, so in that respect they're ALL the same. Same with renting/buying movies or tv shows, everyone does that too. If Microsoft had partnered with Comcast or DirecTV or something, THEN I would have jumped on the chance to have my gaming machine work in tandem with my cable box. But that's not happening this generation.

So it comes down to one thing - gaming. And you've admitted Sony actually addressed that aspect of a GAMING console while Microsoft did not.

The reasons to buy the PS4 (so far): (1) no online requirement, (2) no online membership (except to play multiplayer), (3) no used game blocking, (4) no forced Kinect/motion bulls***, (5) vastly better exclusives (personal preference, admittedly) and (6) $100 bucks cheaper.

(and this is coming from a guy that owns both a ps3 and 360 and enjoyed/hated parts of both)

We'll see what comes of this.

Edited by TaylorStSox

If XBox can become a versatile and easy to use media center such that it can be used in business settings while also being a family gaming console and as a video projection device (ala a movie theatre) along with getting a partnership with major cable industries in populated areas, then I could see it having a viable life, but I don't foresee that happening.

If/when I go next gen, it will also be with a PS4, and now I will get made fun of. I think it is quite clear that, for the gamer, PS4 is going to be the top system.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 09:41 PM)
Ive had both a PS3 and 360 at different times, I currently have a 360. As of right now Im not sure which console I will get. I think a lot of people are overreacting and Id like to get more details about each system before I go crazy for one or the other.

Has microsoft truly confirmed it wont' play used games yet? Until you are closer to release, there is still a lot that could change and a lot will probably still change in the next day at the conference as more info comes out. As of this point in time...Sony is winning the battle...but there is a lot of time for last minute changes or PR saves to be made at which point it doesn't even matter. Microsoft could crush it in who they affiliate with for those looking for a whole home entertainment system and that could be the win. Still a lot of unknowns out there.

Sony did a nice job though. Cheaper, no used games, doesn't require to be run 24/7. They would have secured victory if they provided a free service. That said, who knows whether they'd have actually turned a profit had they done that and if they have the right intel maybe they can charge and still win the battle (and get more money and coin).

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)

(1) They've been trying to sell that idea since the original xbox

(2) Sky is denying any such deal or talks, but said they love working with Microsoft to deliver apps for it's customers (same with HBO, ESPN, HULU, etc. etc)

(3) They have to pull in a major cable provider in the US and make whatever tie-in feature amazing for me to even think about leaving DirecTV. Having it as just another set top box isn't going to do it for me. Why would I drop 500 bucks (plus 50 a year going forward) for something I can rent for $6 a month?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
Has microsoft truly confirmed it wont' play used games yet? Until you are closer to release, there is still a lot that could change and a lot will probably still change in the next day at the conference as more info comes out. As of this point in time...Sony is winning the battle...but there is a lot of time for last minute changes or PR saves to be made at which point it doesn't even matter. Microsoft could crush it in who they affiliate with for those looking for a whole home entertainment system and that could be the win. Still a lot of unknowns out there.

Sony did a nice job though. Cheaper, no used games, doesn't require to be run 24/7. They would have secured victory if they provided a free service. That said, who knows whether they'd have actually turned a profit had they done that and if they have the right intel maybe they can charge and still win the battle (and get more money and coin).

Yes, once you buy the game and install it it's linked to your system. It won't work anywhere else. You can't even let a friend borrow your game. I think the only part that is unclear is whether you can play the game on the same machine but with a different user (so two kids in the same household could play the game).

Microsoft seems to be taking the bigger risk with the new consoles. It could be boom or bust for them. How much will the used games and internet connection issues factor into people picking a system will also play a part.

That being said, it seems it always comes down to games and Xbox kills in that area.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
Microsoft seems to be taking the bigger risk with the new consoles. It could be boom or bust for them. How much will the used games and internet connection issues factor into people picking a system will also play a part.

That being said, it seems it always comes down to games and Xbox kills in that area.

Their multiplayer/party chat system is SO much better than Sony. It's not even a contest. That's really the only selling point for me, but it's huge. But if my group of friends go for the ps4 that becomes pretty moot. We'd just have to deal with the weaker Sony system.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 08:14 AM)
Yes, once you buy the game and install it it's linked to your system. It won't work anywhere else. You can't even let a friend borrow your game. I think the only part that is unclear is whether you can play the game on the same machine but with a different user (so two kids in the same household could play the game).

Did this get announced yesterday? Everything I had read and seen is that Microsoft has been silent to this and people have taken the lack of coming out and making a stance as being indicative that they won't allow used games. Did they finally indicate such in yesterdays press release? I didn't think they did.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
Did this get announced yesterday? Everything I had read and seen is that Microsoft has been silent to this and people have taken the lack of coming out and making a stance as being indicative that they won't allow used games. Did they finally indicate such in yesterdays press release? I didn't think they did.

It was a announced a few days ago. Check IGN.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/06/how-game...n-the-xbox-one/

You will be able to give your Xbox One games to your friends, but only once and only to friends you've known for more than a month. That's according to the new rules shared today about Xbox One game licensing by Microsoft.

All games will be available new in both disc or digital form, and will need to be installed on your Xbox One while logged in. From there, you'll be registered for the game on the cloud, so you'll be able to play it wherever you're logged into an Xbox One, even if you happen to be at a friend's house.

You will have the option to resell that game back to a retailer, but that retailer will have to sign up with Microsoft to allow you to do so. Microsoft won't charge fees to do that, but it does say that "third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers." You can give the game away, but only once and only to someone who's been on your friends list for that required 30 days.

Microsoft also says that the ability to loan or rent games "won't be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners." All of the information about game licensing on the new console can be seen on the official Xbox One site.

I guess not as harsh as what I had said, but still pretty s***ty. Especially the inability to rent games.

This isn't a console war. Console gaming is a niche market losing its footprint, especially considering Japan is quickly moving to mobile gaming. This is about home integration. Sony is a stepping stone. Yesterday was big in that while Microsoft was unveiling the future of media and home integration, Apple was unveiling a new desktop that will cost as much as a car and only be useful for high end video production and a mobile OS that is a copy of other operating systems. Windows 8, Surface, Xbox one... Look at the big picture.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
Their multiplayer/party chat system is SO much better than Sony. It's not even a contest. That's really the only selling point for me, but it's huge. But if my group of friends go for the ps4 that becomes pretty moot. We'd just have to deal with the weaker Sony system.

Well PS3 never had cross game party chat and with the new PSN now PS4 will. That was my cherry on top for wanting to buy this system. I used my 360 more than my ps3 because i loved hearing Carl's voice during games. Now I can do that with PS4.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 10:29 AM)
This isn't a console war. Console gaming is a niche market losing its footprint, especially considering Japan is quickly moving to mobile gaming. This is about home integration. Sony is a stepping stone. Yesterday was big in that while Microsoft was unveiling the future of media and home integration, Apple was unveiling a new desktop that will cost as much as a car and only be useful for high end video production and a mobile OS that is a copy of other operating systems. Windows 8, Surface, Xbox one... Look at the big picture.

Serious question, how old are you? It's like you don't remember all of the "innovative" and "futuristic" offerings Microsoft has made over the years. Windows Media Center and the 360 were going to take over the world! And then in reality it wasn't a very good system and we all moved on.

You've yet to explain what is so innovative about Xbox One. Everything it has in terms of home entertainment capabilities my TV has, my ps3 has, and the ps4 WILL have. So please explain what i'm missing. The ability to link my Xbox One content to my Windows 8/surface tablet that I don't own nor have any desire to own? Again, see Windows Media Center.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
Well PS3 never had cross game party chat and with the new PSN now PS4 will. That was my cherry on top for wanting to buy this system. I used my 360 more than my ps3 because i loved hearing Carl's voice during games. Now I can do that with PS4.

If that's the case then it'll be a huge selling point. I won't need the Xbox party system to chat with friends who live all over the country. But i'm not going to hold my breath that Sony can deliver a good software product. They generally suck at that.

lol The future.

Sony has been/is likely to stay more involved in home media than Microsoft.

Microsoft is an Android OS for computers away from being Atari.

Whats funny is you say windows 8 and surface like they are good things. When in fact Microsoft is releasing an update to Windows 8 because most people dislike it.

Ill get playstation 4, I see no reason to change.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 08:28 AM)
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/06/how-game...n-the-xbox-one/

I guess not as harsh as what I had said, but still pretty s***ty. Especially the inability to rent games.

The other big question is, does micrsoft doing this (which truly is more of a benefit to the 3rd party producers), allow it to provide better and more exclusive game then Sony? And it seems to me that used games will be sold...its just a different avenue then previously.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
Serious question, how old are you? It's like you don't remember all of the "innovative" and "futuristic" offerings Microsoft has made over the years. Windows Media Center and the 360 were going to take over the world! And then in reality it wasn't a very good system and we all moved on.

You've yet to explain what is so innovative about Xbox One. Everything it has in terms of home entertainment capabilities my TV has, my ps3 has, and the ps4 WILL have. So please explain what i'm missing. The ability to link my Xbox One content to my Windows 8/surface tablet that I don't own nor have any desire to own? Again, see Windows Media Center.

You're questioning my age and you can't understand the difference in possibilities between this and your Smart TV? Ok. Yes, this has always been Microsoft/Gate's vision and they're a step closer.

Google did unveil their OS. It was garbage and nobody cared. I believe Microsoft still had a 90% market share of operating systems.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 08:25 AM)
It was a announced a few days ago. Check IGN.

See two posts down...that is completely not the case. You can't go on ebay and hock it up for sale but there are ways to sell the game..e.g., through gamestop and I'm sure other outlets will come out as well. Now certain gaming companies can limit those rights but the question is for those companies, do they then opt to produce more content for Microsoft because of the fact they are getting more of a benefit?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 08:25 AM)
You most certainly do pay to stream the media. You don't pay for access to the network. If PSN is anything like the original, the 13 cents you pay per day for Xbox Live will be well worth it. Xbox Live's interface is great looking and intuitive. PSN is a jumbled wasteland of bad design.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Xbox drop the price and launch first. They appear to be far more ready for launch. The problem is that they're making you pay for Kinect and people don't understand it and are scared of change.

You can spin the math however you want, but I'm required to pay a subscription to a device I already paid $500 up front for, and that's assuming I can afford to buy a year subscription as opposed to a month after forking over $500. If I'm going to have it 7 years like my old XBOX, I'm basically forced to pay for it it all over again via the XBL subscription.

If I have PS4, I'll use the home entertainment features for free every day while probably not combining 12 months of multiplayer subscriptions over the life of the device. Oh, and I can buy used games.

For the way I use it, which is casual gaming and all-in-one media, I see the PS4 as a relative equal functionally (apps are apps) and one that will cost me about half as much or better to own.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
You're questioning my age and you can't understand the difference in possibilities between this and your Smart TV? Ok. Yes, this has always been Microsoft/Gate's vision and they're a step closer.

Google did unveil their OS. It was garbage and nobody cared. I believe Microsoft still had a 90% market share of operating systems.

A step closer to WHAT? Whole home network sharing of entertainment? You could do this through Windows Media Center on the current Xbox (or via the media server settings of the ps3). Stop dodging the question.

My new Samsung TV is essentially a PC with a video feed. I can download/stream all sorts of entertainment apps on it. I can connect to my PC and stream photos/videos. I've got it linked to my phone so that apps like Youtube are controlled via my phone but show up on my TV. The technology is there to do the same thing with Pandora, Spotify, etc, if its not available yet (I haven't really checked).

So, aside from playing disc-based content, what exactly is the difference? Seriously, I don't see it. So enlighten me.