Sox Sign Matt Lindstrom

Heads22

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
IIRC you were gung ho for Grienke at the deadline. and your second "want" was Juan Pierre as a platoon. I dont really think they would have won the division if either of those deals were made

That would have been more than enough to make up a 3 game difference.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 10:08 AM)
Who do you think we could have traded for Grienke?

If they would have traded for Grienke they win the division. If they couldn't make a deal for Grienke they still win the division if they sit Viciedo v. rh'ers the last two months.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
Sox still win the division. Liriano was awful.

I don't think the Sox record in Liriano's starts was much different than the Angels record in Greinke's starts. Advanced metrics would show Greinke the better pitcher, but for 12 or 13 starts, the wins and losses during their starts, especially since they obviously were rentals, would be a very meaningful number. It really doesn't matter if you win 6-5 or 6-1.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
I don't think the Sox record in Liriano's starts was much different than the Angels record in Greinke's starts. Advanced metrics would show Greinke the better pitcher, but for 12 or 13 starts, the wins and losses during their starts, especially since they obviously were rentals, would be a very meaningful number. It really doesn't matter if you win 6-5 or 6-1.

Liriano was a bullpen killer with those 5 inning starts.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
If they would have traded for Grienke they win the division. If they couldn't make a deal for Grienke they still win the division if they sit Viciedo v. rh'ers the last two months.

The odds are to get Grienke, we would have had to give up some portion of our major league roster. Doing that neutralizes the return on investment for Grienke.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 10:24 AM)
Liriano was a bullpen killer with those 5 inning starts.

The bullpen was pretty good after the trade deadline. Jones was on fire. Veal was great. Who wore down because of Liriano? He made 4 starts with 5 innings or less with the Sox. 6 innings a start gets you almost 200 for the season. You are talking about 4 innings, and half the time it was with expanded rosters. Liriano sucked, but Grienke wouldn't have made a difference, and the Sox would be out some talent right now. Also, Juan Pierre was awful in August offensively and we know singles in LF are always potential doubles if when it is hit to him in LF.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 10:23 AM)
Grienke was much better than Liriano and a Juan Pierre/Connor Jackson platoon would have replaced Viciedo adequately.

Huh, I dont remember Greinke looking that much different than Liriano when the Sox bombed him out of the Cell in his second start. The place where he hated to pitch.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
I didn't think KW did a great job at the deadline last year. Had they addressed their easiest correctable issue, a platoon partner for Viciedo, they may have won the division.

I guess I just disagree that a platoon partner for Viciedo was their biggest need. Third base, IMO, was way more important, and I'm fine with KW shoring up the bu,llpen and adding a starter, which he did. Platoon partner for Viciedo would have helped last year, but it had to be 4th or 5th on the list.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)
I guess I just disagree that a platoon partner for Viciedo was their biggest need. Third base, IMO, was way more important, and I'm fine with KW shoring up the bu,llpen and adding a starter, which he did. Platoon partner for Viciedo would have helped last year, but it had to be 4th or 5th on the list.

We had Wise and/or Danks as lefty swinging outfielders on the bench that could have platooned with Viciedo.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)

Platooning Viciedo was the easiest problem to fix. It amazed me that they kept sending him out there against RH'ers when he was so overmatched. I thought it was because they were trying to keep his trade value high, but after the deadline he continued to contribute to sucking the life out of the bottom of the order vs. rh'ers.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
Platooning Viciedo was the easiest problem to fix. It amazed me that they kept sending him out there against RH'ers when he was so overmatched. I thought it was because they were trying to keep his trade value high, but after the deadline he continued to contribute to sucking the life out of the bottom of the order vs. rh'ers.

Paging Dick Allen...

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)

Who was going to be a 3 win player in platoon situations over two months that the Sox could bring in, and what would they need to give up to get them?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 05:43 PM)

I don't see this. If Viciedo can't hit right handed pitchers he shouldn't and wouldn't be on this team. I think there are a lot more RHP's then LHP's so his playing time would have been limited. If he has the potential the Sox think he has then he needs to start everday and learn to be more selective at the plate. I think he did improve and I am looking for good things from him this year.