Sox Sign Matt Lindstrom

Heads22

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)
Why fix any problem?

These are the kinds of responses people have called you out on before. Answering a question with a terribly vague, generic, somewhat unrelated question of your own to change the topic and veer off course. If you are going to make bold assertions, you need to be able to back them up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
These are the kinds of responses people have called you out on before. Answering a question with a terribly vague, generic, somewhat unrelated question of your own to change the topic and veer off course. If you are going to make bold assertions, you need to be able to back them up.

It all started with Viciedo needed to be platooned then the response was "you wanted to trade for Greinke" and it ends with "what 3 win player do you platoon Viciedo with."

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 05:24 PM)
Liriano was a bullpen killer with those 5 inning starts.

I agree that Liriano was not the answer. The fellow has a lot of talent for sure, but just can't put it together. I did think the trade for Youkilis was a good move though.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
It all started with Viciedo needed to be platooned then the response was "you wanted to trade for Greinke" and it ends with "what 3 win player do you platoon Viciedo with."

I'm aware of how it started and progressed. I didn't ask that. I merely stated that the reason you get called on is because you fail to back your bold assertions, instead trying to turn them around and change the topic when you get to a point of having to explain your assertions.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
I'm aware of how it started and progressed. I didn't ask that. I merely stated that the reason you get called on is because you fail to back your bold assertions, instead trying to turn them around and change the topic when you get to a point of having to explain your assertions.

It was explained earlier in the thread.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)

If the theory is that a platoon partner for Viciedo was the difference between winning and losing the central, the next logical questions are who and how. Of course it was answered with...

If the theory is that a platoon partner for Viciedo was the difference between winning and losing the central, the next logical questions are who and how. Of course it was answered with...

The theory should have been - batting Adam Dunn third all year long was the difference between winning and losing the central.

QUOTE (WilburWilhelm @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
The theory should have been - batting Adam Dunn third all year long was the difference between winning and losing the central.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)
No it wasn't.

Lineup changes don't make nearly that big of a difference.

Indeed. Tango showed that the difference between the best possible lineup and the WORST possible lineup (pitcher batting 4th, best hitter 9th, etc.) if used every day, all season, was about 2 wins. So the difference between the best possible lineup (which also happens to NOT be what nearly everyone considers the best possible lineup) and practically anything that could arguably be the best lineup is very minimal.

QUOTE (WilburWilhelm @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 10:08 PM)
I completely disagree. Any player that strikes out 222 times and bats .204 is a poor hitter in any spot in the order. Only two more long years till that bum is gone. The Sox would be better off batting Keppinger third.

Then good luck replacing 40 homers and 100+ walks. That's, like, 260 bases you have to make up for, somehow, some way.

Seriously...good luck.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
Platooning Viciedo was the easiest problem to fix. It amazed me that they kept sending him out there against RH'ers when he was so overmatched. I thought it was because they were trying to keep his trade value high, but after the deadline he continued to contribute to sucking the life out of the bottom of the order vs. rh'ers.

Hes a young guy who needs to figure things out at the plate, he is not going to get a chance to do that on the bench. Platooning him would really hamper his development in the long run. If he is going to be a cornerstone for this offense, as appears to be the plan, he needs to get at bats and learn to make adjustments. There were a lot of players that slid in the second half of the season, no reason to damage the future of your franchise to try to cover up for that.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
Hes a young guy who needs to figure things out at the plate, he is not going to get a chance to do that on the bench. Platooning him would really hamper his development in the long run. If he is going to be a cornerstone for this offense, as appears to be the plan, he needs to get at bats and learn to make adjustments. There were a lot of players that slid in the second half of the season, no reason to damage the future of your franchise to try to cover up for that.

Development takes a distant back seat to winning games in August & September when the team is in a pennant race.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
Development takes a distant back seat to winning games in August & September when the team is in a pennant race.

And yet, the Sox were in first place with two weeks to go, and he was hardly the only one who struggled in those final two weeks.

I can't even point to WAR or anything in this situation - if, like, 2 guys step up and play better, the Sox, at the very least, likely have a play-in game against Detroit. Instead, Detroit got hot, the Sox got cold, and they lost the division.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 10:31 AM)
And yet, the Sox were in first place with two weeks to go, and he was hardly the only one who struggled in those final two weeks.

I can't even point to WAR or anything in this situation - if, like, 2 guys step up and play better, the Sox, at the very least, likely have a play-in game against Detroit. Instead, Detroit got hot, the Sox got cold, and they lost the division.

I'll repeat LF production against RH'ed pitching was the easiest problem they could have fixed and they did nothing about it. I don't know if that's on the GM or manager, but I found it disappointing.