Engagement Rings

iamshack

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I'm glad I'm not in the market for this today.

Not only because I'm married and have no money for frivolous stuff like this these anymore :(, but because gold and platinum prices are about 3000x higher today than they were when I bought my wife her ring, not to mention diamond prices are also of the charts.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
For the record, the entire thing is bulls***.

That is all.

It really is. Even back when I was single and had the money to excessive stuff like this...it was absurd. I don't want to say I wasted a bunch of money because it was for my wife, but I did. :/

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
Good enough deterrent Rock, should scare away most of the creepers.

I am a fan of the diamonds on the band, especially in a white gold/platinum setting (not sure which that is based on the picture). For whatever reason I just am not a real gold fan.

Platinum because even white gold turns a little yellow. I despise all things gold.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
No its a good way to show ownership of your property.

Much like a brand on a steer, an engagement ring is a way of showing other guys that "This property is mine."

:D

The problem is, as someone else went over in this thread...most people don't know anything about diamonds anyway, so you could get a massive fake and impress more people with it than you will with a real one. Just lie and say it's real, then take the extra money you saved and buy something you can actually use in the future.

I spent a bunch of money on clarity, cut and quality, not to say I minded at the time because I like incredibly high quality stuff...but unless you know diamonds, the difference in cost between a D and E is huge, and you probably can't tell anyway. While I like knowing I got the best I could possibly afford at the time...it was still a waste of money since her ring looks less impressive than many others of FAR lesser quality (aside from the shine/sparkle it has...when clean it really sets itself apart), the fact is, after you've been married a few years...you don't clean it much anymore...so nobody can tell.

Oh I know. Ive grown up around the nonsense that is showing off fancy jewelry as a status symbol.

Im not even sure many people could tell the difference between cubic zirconia and diamonds with the naked eye. Ironically cz is almost always colorless.

Back in the days of my youth I had a long term gf who wanted a "promise ring". I got her cz, boy did I never hear the end of that. :D

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
Oh I know. Ive grown up around the nonsense that is showing off fancy jewelry as a status symbol.

Im not even sure many people could tell the difference between cubic zirconia and diamonds with the naked eye. Ironically cz is almost always colorless.

Back in the days of my youth I had a long term gf who wanted a "promise ring". I got her cz, boy did I never hear the end of that. :D

Promise ring might be the dumbest thing ever. Should have tipped you off to run the other way.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 05:20 PM)
Promise ring might be the dumbest thing ever. Should have tipped you off to run the other way.

lol

I did get an ipod out of it, but yeah it was pretty ridiculous. I was young, maybe 22, living with a girl. Not sure what I was thinking.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
I had a girl give me one back when I was about 19 or so, im sure she was expecting one in return.

You can hold on to my HS ring I'll never wear, have fun.

Sidebar, I didn't want a HS ring, Mom insisted I get one (parents paid for it said I still don't want to waste your money), told her I'd never do anything with it, and haven't. In a box somewhere. What the f*** is the point of a HS ring? I'd say at least half my class got one. How ridiculous.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)
You can hold on to my HS ring I'll never wear, have fun.

Sidebar, I didn't want a HS ring, Mom insisted I get one (parents paid for it said I still don't want to waste your money), told her I'd never do anything with it, and haven't. In a box somewhere. What the f*** is the point of a HS ring? I'd say at least half my class got one. How ridiculous.

Oh god I think my mom made me get one of those too. No idea where it is.

Glad my wife didn't care what I got her. Especially since we were poor. $350 was her engagement ring, because all the rest of our cash went to keeping a roof over our heads, and getting HER a new car. She still doesn't like expensive jewelry, thankfully. I got her a ring for our 20th anniversary that I had made from a piece left to me by an aunt, appraised a little over $5k, and she is afraid to wear it!

as previously mentioned, go to jewelers row on wabash. I paid about half for a fabulous diamond than I would have at Tiffany. You end up paying marginally above the market value of the diamond, and then you can have it custom made however you want. and you can negotiate. Additionally, IMO for the 4 Cs - Carat > Cut >>>> Color > Clarity (most flaws in the clarity can only be seen under the magnifying lens)

It sounds like you're taking this pretty seriously, or maybe she's making you take this seriously, so perhaps my advice/experience isn't very helpful. I actually bought my wife's ring & band off of a private eBay seller....dude apparently was divorced or had a broken engagement and was stuck with the wedding set. My wife had the choice of buying retail/wholesale for a much lesser ring or getting a beautiful ring and band with a nice sized rock (I think it's something like 1.3ct main stone and over 2ct tw) with a little history on it. We had it appraised and the jeweler said it was a win-win deal....the ring appraised for $5k more than I paid for it but said that the seller did well getting what he got for a used set.

The wife loves telling her friends what a cheap P.O.S. I am buying a used ring off of eBay but, considering most of her friends are jealous of her ring and she gets mad props for it, she can talk all the trash she wants. There is some safety buying through eBay if the ad says returns are acceptable...just get it appraised as soon as you get it. If it doesn't look as good in person, you can still return it. I don't know...I had a good experience and saved a lot of money.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
I was friends with a girl in HS that always said that if she got married she would request a ring made of wood (heh), if even that.

Shoulda gone after her.

That was actually the fun with my wife is that she isnt the type that cares too much about what it looks like or costs so it was that more satisfying to get her something nicer than she expected.

Went to a local place today where Elvis used to go to get his jewelry back in the day...:)

I went in and played completely dumb, just to see how they would treat me. Told them sort of what I wanted, said he would get some stones in to my liking in a few days and give me a buzz. Gave me a quote around $2,500 or so more than what I am seeing online, for what would appear to grade out as better diamonds.

Not sure if I will even bother to go back and look at the stones on Thursday.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 29, 2013 -> 07:54 PM)
Went to a local place today where Elvis used to go to get his jewelry back in the day...:)

I went in and played completely dumb, just to see how they would treat me. Told them sort of what I wanted, said he would get some stones in to my liking in a few days and give me a buzz. Gave me a quote around $2,500 or so more than what I am seeing online, for what would appear to grade out as better diamonds.

Not sure if I will even bother to go back and look at the stones on Thursday.

Overshopping for this will be worth it thought. Really dedicate a lot of time visiting places.