Engagement Rings

iamshack

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 11:07 AM)
What is a reasonable price to pay for an engagement ring? If it was mentioned before, I didn't bother to look through the entire thread.

Depends on how much you love her ;)

I think a month's salary is a reasonable amount, but it also depends on what stage you are at in life...are you planning on getting married soon? Are you paying for that wedding? Are you planning on buying a house soon? Having kids? Already have kids? A lot just depends on what your other financial responsibilities are going to be...

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
What is a reasonable price to pay for an engagement ring? If it was mentioned before, I didn't bother to look through the entire thread.

There's no set range. It depends on how much you make and what your lady wants/expects. I know people that spent a few hundred bucks and some that spent $30k-$40k.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)
There's no set range. It depends on how much you make and what your lady wants/expects. I know people that spent a few hundred bucks and some that spent $30k-$40k.

What kind of moron spends that much on an engagement ring?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
*slowly raises hand*

Damn dude. You must be a baller. I spent a little over 8k and was not very happy about it. But I waited like 7 years to propose, so I felt I owed it to her (and did). Looking back, much like our wedding (self-paid), I wish I had gone the cheaper route. That's a lot of money that could have cut down student loans, bank rolled a decades worth of vacations, etc.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
Damn dude. You must be a baller. I spent a little over 8k and was not very happy about it. But I waited like 7 years to propose, so I felt I owed it to her (and did). Looking back, much like our wedding (self-paid), I wish I had gone the cheaper route. That's a lot of money that could have cut down student loans, bank rolled a decades worth of vacations, etc.

That was probably the total for both of her rings. I just saved it up very well over the years.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you and Y2HH. A complete waste of money and 99.99% of people would never know the difference looking at your wife's ring if you went the cheap route. The extra thousands I spent would have been better utilized by paying off her student loans.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you and Y2HH. A complete waste of money and 99.99% of people would never know the difference looking at your wife's ring if you went the cheap route. The extra thousands I spent would have been better utilized by paying off her student loans.

Except no one wants to be the girl whose bragging, yeah, but my student loans got paid down!

LOL, i should slowly back away. My wife actually isnt the type who cares at all, however I was dating a girl back in the day that led me to put away a bunch for this occasion.

keep in mind also, its not really going to lose a bunch od value or anything, plus its something that can always be handed down over generations.

just my two cents: Go with what makes you and your girl happy. Most likely the memories of the actual process and wedding will be priceless anywa.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)

Michael Scott says 3 years salary.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
*slowly raises hand*

What the f***!? That's insane. I don't get why you'd do that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)

I hear you. It's all money out the window at that point, could be used for loans, down payment, etc.

Actually the instant everyone cleared out of the wedding my first thought was "that was one super expensive party." Now we had and awesome wedding, but I couldn't help but think that.

Going back to the original post...if a girl tells you she NEEDS a certain ring or a certain amount spent on it, it's the wrong girl. She needs to understand your financial situation (or even how it will impact both of your financial situations down the road).

The "general" rule is 3 months salary, but again, depends what you make, what part of your life you are in, etc. You could always do the "I'll get you a better one later" thing, and get something inexpensive right now.

It's what the ring represents. Granted you don't want it out of a cracker jack box, but outside of that, there shouldn't have to be expectations.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
How come I didnt get this reaction when I posted a pic of it way back?

Like I said. Most people can't tell the quality of a diamond by looking at it. For all we knew, that was a large, low quality ring.