Engagement Rings

iamshack

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 11:07 AM)
We went to a family friends' daughter's wedding last year. She had been posting about her wedding nonstop on facebook for about a year. For the entire wedding, she looked absolutely miserable and on the verge of tears because not everything was 100% perfect. I don't know why people stress themselves out so much.

Yeah, those people will never have a good time. Overplanning down to the second will never work.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 01:06 PM)
People tend to overrate the wedding experience. They fall into the hype that is has to be the best day of your life. Hyberboles around.

I had a great time at mine, but none of the great time was anything that was structured or planned.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
People tend to overrate the wedding experience. They fall into the hype that is has to be the best day of your life. Hyberboles around.

I've realized this is what my fiancee wants it to be. I just want it to be a kick ass party.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)
I've realized this is what my fiancee wants it to be. I just want it to be a kick ass party.

Good mental state to be in. Things are going to go wrong, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Just remember what YOU liked in attending a wedding, and focus on those parts. One thing people truly overdo these days is pictures, you dont need 50,000 pictures of the wedding party walking to and then away from the camera.

I had a ton of things go wrong at my wedding. The ceremony went well but after that things started to fall apart. My wife's grandma left before we could get any pictures with her so she isn't in our wedding photo album. At the reception, my best man fell and twisted his knee when he went outside and stepped wrong off the curb. He spent a few hours at the hospital and made it back for the last hour or so but I had to have another one of my groomsmen step in for the toast. My brother-in-law was supposed to be running a camcorder but he ended up getting sick and spent most of the night lying in the backseat of his car. One of the bridesmaids spent half the night out in the parking lot arguing with her boyfriend.

It was far from perfect but we didn't stress about any of it and had a good time. It's all stuff we look back on and laugh about now.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 04:07 PM)
We went to a family friends' daughter's wedding last year. She had been posting about her wedding nonstop on facebook for about a year. For the entire wedding, she looked absolutely miserable and on the verge of tears because not everything was 100% perfect. I don't know why people stress themselves out so much.

That's a sad tale. Man, when it's wedding day, it's time to go with the flow and let it all loose. Who cares if the f***ing cake is not perfect or stuff like that? It's party time. Is she over it now? Or still complaining/crying?

I was at a wedding where an hour into the reception a bridesmaid announced to her husband that she wanted a divorce. Two hours in she announced she was moving in with a close female friend and they were in love. Three hours in the bride started throwing punches at her for ruining the wedding and taking center stage.

Best damn wedding I have ever been to. :lol:

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
I was at a wedding where an hour into the reception a bridesmaid announced to her husband that she wanted a divorce. Two hours in she announced she was moving in with a close female friend and they were in love. Three hours in the bride started throwing punches at her for ruining the wedding and taking center stage.

:jerry

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)

:lol:

Holy s***! We went and met with our first photographer yesterday. I chose this guy. His work is amazing.

He wants like $5-6k, and that doesn't even include the digital rights for the photos, which are an additional $1200 or $50 per shot.

The photos are the ONE thing I really, really would splurge for, but yeezus, $5-6k?

This was our wedding plan:

The official photographer was hired for 25 shots. 14 were shot pre-wedding and were all photos of the bridal party and/or family that didn't require both bride and groom. 6 were shot during the wedding. 5 were shot post-wedding. We got a pretty good deal because we had a 1:30pm wedding and the photographer was able to book a second wedding for that evening since we didn't take long to finish up after the wedding and didn't require him to work the reception.

We bought disposable 24-shot Kodak cameras for each of the tables at the reception. All the rest of the photos were taken on those by guests.

My cousin was our DJ at the reception. He did it for free in lieu of getting us a gift. All we had to pay for was to buy him 2 CD's of songs we wanted played at the reception that he didn't already have.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
This was our wedding plan:

The official photographer was hired for 25 shots. 14 were shot pre-wedding and were all photos of the bridal party and/or family that didn't require both bride and groom. 6 were shot during the wedding. 5 were shot post-wedding. We got a pretty good deal because we had a 1:30pm wedding and the photographer was able to book a second wedding for that evening since we didn't take long to finish up after the wedding and didn't require him to work the reception.

We bought disposable 24-shot Kodak cameras for each of the tables at the reception. All the rest of the photos were taken on those by guests.

My cousin was our DJ at the reception. He did it for free in lieu of getting us a gift. All we had to pay for was to buy him 2 CD's of songs we wanted played at the reception that he didn't already have.

We had a photographer (family friend's relative or something) at our reception, but for our actual wedding we just relied on our guests. Had over 1000 pictures. And no tedious staged shots.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
Holy s***! We went and met with our first photographer yesterday. I chose this guy. His work is amazing.

He wants like $5-6k, and that doesn't even include the digital rights for the photos, which are an additional $1200 or $50 per shot.

The photos are the ONE thing I really, really would splurge for, but yeezus, $5-6k?

That seems high to me. I think we paid under $1000 but that was 14 years ago and digital cameras hadn't really gotten popular yet. We ended up with a few hundred photos that we had to narrow down and they put them all into a really nice album for us.

That's insane. I think we paid $6-700 for engagement photos, wedding photos and all the rights. Granted, that's in Champaign, Illinois, but still.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)
That's insane. I think we paid $6-700 for engagement photos, wedding photos and all the rights. Granted, that's in Champaign, Illinois, but still.

When you die you don't go to heaven, you go to Champaign, Illinois.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 01:44 PM)
When you die you don't go to heaven, you go to Champaign, Illinois.

When I die, f*** it I wanna go to hell

Cause I'm a piece of s***, it ain't hard to f***in' tell

It don't make sense, goin' to heaven wit the goodie-goodies

Dressed in white, I like black Tims and black hoodies

God will probably have me on some real strict s***

No sleepin' all day, no gettin my dick licked

Hangin' with the goodie-goodies loungin' in paradise

f*** that s***, I wanna tote guns and shoot dice

:)

That is right about what my entire wedding cost in 2000.

I know a lot of people who dropped $10k on the photography. I think we spent $3k (or less). Our pics were better and our photog was one of the most important people helping us on the day.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
I know a lot of people who dropped $10k on the photography. I think we spent $3k (or less). Our pics were better and our photog was one of the most important people helping us on the day.

I just negotiated a package with them that includes a bunch of extra crap. Just paid the retainer. Next in line is the videographer and the DJ. Once we have them locked up I will feel much better.