2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
As of now...Bostic is a miss. I didn't say he's a bust yet but he was freaking awful. To be frank, given what he has shown, I'd have a hard time thinking it would be a great idea to hand him a starting job next year (we should at least try to bring DJ Williams or another veteran to push him in training camp). This is the NFL, not MLB where you sit around and wait years for guys to develop. Bostic did nothing but get worse and linebacker is typically a position where rookies can excel. Thankfully he has some real nice physical tools.

The plan was for him to learn by watching this season, and unfortunately it did not work out that way.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
I'm not saying he's a bust yet, but he was horrific all season. Easily one of the worst starting LB's in the NFL last year. There is no f***ing way I'm giving Tucker another year to show that he can't develop players. But unlike others, I'm not about to talk like Emery is some god. I think he's done some pretty good things and also some pretty bad things in the draft. I hope Bostic / Greene learn a lot from this season and grow into good players but Bostic regressed during the course of the season.

Reading between the lines, a lot of people think Cutler is going to sign an extension with the Bears pretty quickly. I am hoping that is the case and the Bears have already had some solid talks and the QB situation can get addressed quickly. Emery has a lot to work on as this will be an extremely busy off-season given how many guys are free agents. Bears are reportedly in talks to sign Slauson to an extension, which would be great.

The Bears weren't counting on Bostic to start. He was to be the back up behind Williams, even after having the big start in the preseason. Bostic also wasn't helped by the rest of the linebacking core either landing on IR, or missing almost all of the season. He regressed because instead of being one rookie in a group of vets, he was in a group all with no experience, playing behind a D-line that consisted of Peppers and a practice squad.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
You got to love Marshall. I hope Marques joins Jeffrey and Bennett (and I also hope Martellus and Cutler are there too).

What'd he have to say about Marquess? I remember hearing the announcers yesterday say that some in the organization compare him to Jeffery....Went back and watched some college highlights and my goodness, I don't think thats a bad comp if he's able to put it together in the NFL...Could you imagine if those claims come to fruition? How would you cover a package with Marshall-Jeffery-Bennett-Wilson??

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)
Stephon Tuitt and Kony Ealy are two DEs I'm sure the Bears will look at. Maybe Ha Ha Clinton-Dix if they really want a safety. If the Bears elect to stay a cover two team then it is unlikely they go CB in the first round.

All of this is too early to speculate though because of the combine, interviews, and the senior bowl.

This is very true, so it's important to keep in mind while speculating. Plenty of "3rd round guys" right now will end up going in the 1st, and vice-versa.

With that said, these are some 1st round names I'd keep on the Bears radar:

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix - S - Alabama

Khalil Mack - OLB - Buffalo

Louis Nix III - DT - Notre Dame

CJ Mosley - ILB/OLB - Alabama

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 05:41 PM)
The offense is now without a starting G and C. There is also no backup RB and no #3 WR. The defense needs work badly, but Emery cannot pull an Angelo here and just totally neglect the O.

They're already discussing a contract with Slausson. Bush is still under contact if they want him back. Earl Bennett or Marquess Wilson are fine as #3 WRs (basically a 5th option on this team).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
The Bears weren't counting on Bostic to start. He was to be the back up behind Williams, even after having the big start in the preseason. Bostic also wasn't helped by the rest of the linebacking core either landing on IR, or missing almost all of the season. He regressed because instead of being one rookie in a group of vets, he was in a group all with no experience, playing behind a D-line that consisted of Peppers and a practice squad.

Its the NFL people. Guys in the 2nd round are drafted to start early. This isn't some league where you can sit and develop in the minors. James Anderson was a vet and he played in a few games with Briggs and struggled mightily. Did you even notice him on Sunday. I'm not saying he's done and won't be good but through year one, he is a big fat F. The guy got a ton of minutes in the preason and training camp too due to DJ's injuries so it isn't like he had limited activity and then got forced into the gig. He was acting as the training camp / preseason starter for pete sakes.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
What'd he have to say about Marquess? I remember hearing the announcers yesterday say that some in the organization compare him to Jeffery....Went back and watched some college highlights and my goodness, I don't think thats a bad comp if he's able to put it together in the NFL...Could you imagine if those claims come to fruition? How would you cover a package with Marshall-Jeffery-Bennett-Wilson??

He's not near as big but they hinted that maybe Marshall would be inviting Marquess to train with them as well. I can't comapre him to Jeffrey but he's got some talent. A headcase though from what i recall.

The offense is now without a starting G and C. There is also no backup RB and no #3 WR. The defense needs work badly, but Emery cannot pull an Angelo here and just totally neglect the O.

What I'd like to see done:

Resign Slauson

Draft De'Anthony Thomas in the 3rd

Solve #3 WR internally, push Marquess Wilson into that role, keep Weems #4 and scour around the late rounds or UDFA for a few guys who can compete for the #5 and #6 spots in camp.

C is tough, I don't think we'll find a starter outside the first 3 rounds and with Thomas already you can't use 2/3 of those picks on the offense. I'm not using any more money after Cutler, McCown and Slauson. So you either find a Jordan Mills or go in with a wild card there.

I think its a given McCown comes back on a team friendly deal, he had a lot of fun and $1m ain't bad. Cutler goes nowhere, that is becoming obvious already.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
Its the NFL people. Guys in the 2nd round are drafted to start early. This isn't some league where you can sit and develop in the minors. James Anderson was a vet and he played in a few games with Briggs and struggled mightily. Did you even notice him on Sunday. I'm not saying he's done and won't be good but through year one, he is a big fat F. The guy got a ton of minutes in the preason and training camp too due to DJ's injuries so it isn't like he had limited activity and then got forced into the gig. He was acting as the training camp / preseason starter for pete sakes.

I didn't like the Bostic pick at the time since he never stood out to me in college. Thought he was just another guy, and I was concerned that Emery put too much emphasis on his physical attributes instead of focusing on if the guy could play. So far, he's proved to be exactly that - physically impressive but struggles with the mental side of the game. That said, it's too early to call him a bust. Definitely needs to take a huge step this off-season.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 04:54 PM)
What I'd like to see done:

Resign Slauson

Draft De'Anthony Thomas in the 3rd

Solve #3 WR internally, push Marquess Wilson into that role, keep Weems #4 and scour around the late rounds or UDFA for a few guys who can compete for the #5 and #6 spots in camp.

C is tough, I don't think we'll find a starter outside the first 3 rounds and with Thomas already you can't use 2/3 of those picks on the offense. I'm not using any more money after Cutler, McCown and Slauson. So you either find a Jordan Mills or go in with a wild card there.

I think its a given McCown comes back on a team friendly deal, he had a lot of fun and $1m ain't bad. Cutler goes nowhere, that is becoming obvious already.

Given the bust rates and ability to pick up running backs late, for a team that has one of the most dynamic all around running backs in the NFL with huge, huge needs all over, especially on defense, a 3rd round pick on a backup running back seems like a reach.

<!--quoteo(post=2912558:date=Dec 30, 2013 -> 05:52 PM:name=Chisoxfn)-->

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 05:52 PM)
<!--quotec-->He's not near as big but they hinted that maybe Marshall would be inviting Marquess to train with them as well. I can't comapre him to Jeffrey but he's got some talent. A headcase though from what i recall.

Not as big girth wise, but he's listed as taller than Alshon. Wilson is listed at 6'4" 185, Jeffery is 6'3" 215.

Kinda silly to compare the 2 using Wilson's college highlight reel but.... (might wanna turn the sound off if your at work)

...A lot of those catches are very Jeffery-esque.

I'd be disappointed is he DIDN'T work out with Alshon and Marshall this offseason.

As far as the headcase thing goes, from what I remember he quit on his team because Mike Leach is a tool. I don't think he'll have any kind of problems in the NFL.

UGH, these weird ass posts always happen to me when I post videos.

Edited by scs787

Given the bust rates and ability to pick up running backs late, for a team that has one of the most dynamic all around running backs in the NFL with huge, huge needs all over, especially on defense, a 3rd round pick on a backup running back seems like a reach.

Look, aside from Wilson and the OL I don't see anyone getting much better on offense. Jeffrey could (wouldn't that be ridiculous?) but I'm not counting on it. The defense will not be healed in one off season, so it makes sense to make a move for a guy like Thomas who could propel the offense up another level which would in turn make things a little easier on what will be a below-average if not outright bad defense.

If you can give Trestman more weapons on the cheap you do it. Aside from Forte we don't have any really dynamic players, I mean the receivers are great don't get me wrong, but they arent dynamic. Thomas can be, you add a guy with his speed and skill set and use him right we've got another guy with enormous big play potential.

I wonder if Kony Ealy would be a fit for bears at 14. Athletic, great build and productive against the best OL we faced this season. Plus Mizzou has done a pretty damn good job with our DL in the NFL, not that that actually means much.

I wonder if Kony Ealy would be a fit for bears at 14. Athletic, great build and productive against the best OL we faced this season. Plus Mizzou has done a pretty damn good job with our DL in the NFL, not that that actually means much.

Honestly, I have to wait a couple weeks for the emotional gag reflex I have towards our safeties wears off before I can actually decide what I really want out of the draft. Because right now priority #1 feels like get someone to take Conte's job.

For what his role would be in the offense, I just don't see needing explosion as a justifiable reason. The Bears are going to need help literally all over the defense - the secondary, linebacking corps, and defensive line all need a vast amount of help.

He's not quite the same back as Lamichael James, but consider what he's done in the NFL in the context of this situation.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 31, 2013 -> 12:47 AM)
Honestly, I have to wait a couple weeks for the emotional gag reflex I have towards our safeties wears off before I can actually decide what I really want out of the draft. Because right now priority #1 feels like get someone to take Conte's job.

Dline is so expensive now, I would prefer we address the most expensive positions with the draft. I've given up on Bears drafting a good safety, as well. We've thrown how many picks at garbage players? When D Manning is a hall of famer compared to your current safeties...sigh.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 04:46 PM)
This is very true, so it's important to keep in mind while speculating. Plenty of "3rd round guys" right now will end up going in the 1st, and vice-versa.

With that said, these are some 1st round names I'd keep on the Bears radar:

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix - S - Alabama

Khalil Mack - OLB - Buffalo

Louis Nix III - DT - Notre Dame

CJ Mosley - ILB/OLB - Alabama

With how Vacarro helped that Saints defense this year, you'd think a good early pick at safety can do wonders for this defense.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
The same Cardinals team that would have won the NFC North division by several games with their record and the #1 rated rush defense?

The best team in the NFL doesn't relinquish a 17 point lead. The original post was about how SF has been playing like the best team in the NFL since the return of Crabtree.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)

I understand he has disappointed this year, after watching him in the preseason I really thought he would be able to wrestle the job from Williams. But he didn't, unfortunately, and he looked bad doing it. I'm not going to say he is a bust or an Emery miss because of what I saw though, he played in a terrible defense ravaged by injuries and played a position considered to to be a key cog to the defense.

Also, we are all still spoiled by watching Urlacher(outside of last season of course). We know what great play looks like at the position and can spot bad play too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
I'm not saying he's a bust yet, but he was horrific all season. Easily one of the worst starting LB's in the NFL last year. There is no f***ing way I'm giving Tucker another year to show that he can't develop players. But unlike others, I'm not about to talk like Emery is some god. I think he's done some pretty good things and also some pretty bad things in the draft. I hope Bostic / Greene learn a lot from this season and grow into good players but Bostic regressed during the course of the season.

Reading between the lines, a lot of people think Cutler is going to sign an extension with the Bears pretty quickly. I am hoping that is the case and the Bears have already had some solid talks and the QB situation can get addressed quickly. Emery has a lot to work on as this will be an extremely busy off-season given how many guys are free agents. Bears are reportedly in talks to sign Slauson to an extension, which would be great.

Tucker had his hands tied having to use someone else's defense and terminology. I wouldn't go off on him yet. He gets a year to do it his way.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
Tucker had his hands tied having to use someone else's defense and terminology. I wouldn't go off on him yet. He gets a year to do it his way.

I tend to agree.

Also, I think we need to realize how much of a ripple effect there is in the nfl. It's sort of like a bullpen...you take one guy out and everyone's role changes, not just one guy's.

I think we were awful, but I'm not writing off some of these kids yet because they weren't put in a position to succeed; they were pretty much thrown to the wolves and I'd like to see a bit more. We've got so many holes, you're not going to be able to address them all anyways.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 06:47 PM)
I tend to agree.

Also, I think we need to realize how much of a ripple effect there is in the nfl. It's sort of like a bullpen...you take one guy out and everyone's role changes, not just one guy's.

I think we were awful, but I'm not writing off some of these kids yet because they weren't put in a position to succeed; they were pretty much thrown to the wolves and I'd like to see a bit more. We've got so many holes, you're not going to be able to address them all anyways.

The Bears didn't just lose 1 guy back there. They lost 8-9 at points of the season.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 07:47 PM)
It end to agree.

Phil Emery has done a really good job of convincing me that "addressing them all" is one thing he's spectacular at. He may not put depth everywhere in the case of injury, not everyone will perform, but that roster had pretty much every postition solidly filled coming into both of the last 2 years.