2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
True, I just don't want Cutler to be the guy for the foreseeable future. I'm nervous to see what the financial terms of this deal are.

Considering how quickly it was done, I'd imagine it's somewhat team friendly. If Cutler was looking for a Flacco-type deal, there would be a longer bargaining period.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
Really pleased we kept Slauson.

Was secretly, against all odds and reason, hoping for Johnny Football.

I just wanted Cutler & Johnny Football to interact on the sidelines. The media would absolutely lose their s*** over those two together.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
Really pleased we kept Slauson.

Was secretly, against all odds and reason, hoping for Johnny Football.

I think they can still draft a heir apparent and stash him behind Jay for a few years like the Packers did with Rodgers. It may not be this season, but I wouldnt be surprised if it was. Who knows, maybe they make a late play on Murray or Mecklenburger because of their injury issues and let them come up slow

The Bears telegraphed what was up like a Rick Mirer pass when they sat the hot McCown, and showed everyone Jay was their guy. Getting it done and out of the way quickly ends the speculation, but using any kind of logic, this was a done deal unless something really bad happened to Cutler like a career threatening injury. For all the speculation about what was on the line in his last start, most likely, unless he got hurt severely, he could have thrown 4 pick 6's and been brought back.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
I think they can still draft a heir apparent and stash him behind Jay for a few years like the Packers did with Rodgers. It may not be this season, but I wouldnt be surprised if it was. Who knows, maybe they make a late play on Murray or Mecklenburger because of their injury issues and let them come up slow

And there is always a chance McCown could walk away so they would need a back up.

I would have loved to see Manziel but I think he will be off the board before the Bears even pick. I'd love to see them pick Garappolo out of EIU or maybe AJ Mccarron falls a few rounds and they groom one of them under Cutler.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
The Bears telegraphed what was up like a Rick Mirer pass when they sat the hot McCown, and showed everyone Jay was their guy. Getting it done and out of the way quickly ends the speculation, but using any kind of logic, this was a done deal unless something really bad happened to Cutler like a career threatening injury. For all the speculation about what was on the line in his last start, most likely, unless he got hurt severely, he could have thrown 4 pick 6's and been brought back.

Well if it was that obvious then they would have hired a airplane to write it in the sky ;)

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
True, I just don't want Cutler to be the guy for the foreseeable future. I'm nervous to see what the financial terms of this deal are.

No tone on message boards so please take this as a genuine inquiry that I ask whenever people say they don't want Cutler around. Who/what would you like the Bears to have done? It's a deep QB draft from my understanding, but where the Bears are drafting they were not going to get any of the top ones without making a ridiculous trade that would have cost multiple high draft picks.

Stop gap would of had to be take a QB in mid 1st or 2nd round and get a stop gap guy like Schaub or franchise Cutler for about 16mm this year.

Cutler is in no way perfect, but the elite QBs are going nowhere and looking at the options I'm OK with extending Cutler.

Now let's work on that D a little bit, that was a s*** show

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
No tone on message boards so please take this as a genuine inquiry that I ask whenever people say they don't want Cutler around. Who/what would you like the Bears to have done? It's a deep QB draft from my understanding, but where the Bears are drafting they were not going to get any of the top ones without making a ridiculous trade that would have cost multiple high draft picks.

Stop gap would of had to be take a QB in mid 1st or 2nd round and get a stop gap guy like Schaub or franchise Cutler for about 16mm this year.

Cutler is in no way perfect, but the elite QBs are going nowhere and looking at the options I'm OK with extending Cutler.

? They pick 14. The draft is pretty deep for QB's this year. Chances are they were going to be able to get a decent option without giving up anything.

Depending on the money he's guaranteed, I would have found a stop gap and drafted someone or franchised him and drafted someone. If it's in the 12-13 million dollar a year range, i'm cool with it. If it's 17-18 they should have let him walk.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)

I'm glad they didn't franchise Cutler since that would screw the cap for next year but I'm waiting to see what the numbers are on this deal. The real problem with this team is clearly the defense. I didn't want the bears to draft a QB in the first round, but they should probably try to pick one up in the 3rd-4th round. I don't think McCown will be back so I feel the bears are going to need a backup. I would have been happy with a 3 yr deal for Jay but if that's all the bears were going to offer then he was a goner because somebody else like Tennessee or Houston would have given him a longer deal. I just want a QB thats going to be healthy all season. Hopefully we can see a few healthy seasons for Jay and then I will be happier with this deal.

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez 7m

I don't have final numbers yet but am reporting for @FOXSports that #bears qb jay cutler's new deal averages 18M for 1st 3 yrs, source says

That scares me. More than the franchise tag number? Maybe 18M is not the cap hit though?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
? They pick 14. The draft is pretty deep for QB's this year. Chances are they were going to be able to get a decent option without giving up anything.

Depending on the money he's guaranteed, I would have found a stop gap and drafted someone or franchised him and drafted someone. If it's in the 12-13 million dollar a year range, i'm cool with it. If it's 17-18 they should have let him walk.

In the past five years, the following quarterbacks were drafted at pick 14 or sooner.

Matt Stafford - 1st

Mark Sanchez - 5th

Sam Bradford - 1st

Cam newton - 1st

jake Locker - 8

Blaine Gabbert - 10

Christian Ponder - 12th

Andrew Luck - 1st

Robert Griffin - 2nd

Ryan Tannenhill - 8th

Taking away the first overall draft picks, how many of those quarterbacks are even close to being better than Jay Cutler. You can't just assume any QB you draft will be good. Especially not immediately.

If the Bears have a QB they like at 14 they take him. No doubt in my mind, you don't f*** around with that position. If you think defense will hold us back, I'd like to cite 2 decades of ineptitude where this franchise just could not find a QB.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
If the Bears have a QB they like at 14 they take him. No doubt in my mind, you don't f*** around with that position. If you think defense will hold us back, I'd like to cite 2 decades of ineptitude where this franchise just could not find a QB.

Im glad you arent drafting

It wouldn't be a bad move for the Bears to still draft a QB, but I wouldn't use a 1st or 2nd round pick on one unless one falls in their lap like Rodgers did with the Packers. Draft one in the later rounds and if he shows something in a couple years, you can consider moving Cutler.