2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
You can bet the teams or the NFL itself will buy up those remaining tickets just to say they got sold. Heck, they already extended a set deadline on ticket sales. Clearly the rule means nothing. There's not a chance the games will be blacked out.

I know it wont, it really would be a crazy thing for that to happen. It is just bizarre to think that Lambeau cant sell out a playoff game, no matter what the weather is.

We all know there will be some stupid drunk shirtless people shown during the game

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
The Colts had to have an angel buyer buy the last 1200 tickets for their playoff game to keep it from being a blackout. I wonder what their excuse is?

NFL ticket prices are ridiculous, but someone will still pay to prevent the blackout rule?

Re: it being better on TV, I went to a Vikings/Bears game a couple years ago and sat behind one of the goal posts in the Metrodome. I think I saw more of the "game" from that angle than on TV. You can actually see what the coaches are trying to do and you can see entire plays develop. The broadcast angle limits so much of the view to where the ball is you miss a lot.

But still, there's no way in hell i'd go to a game if it were 10 degrees, let alone -10. I think 30's would be my limit unless it was a superbowl and the Bears were assured of winning it.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 05:05 PM)
Re: it being better on TV, I went to a Vikings/Bears game a couple years ago and sat behind one of the goal posts in the Metrodome. I think I saw more of the "game" from that angle than on TV. You can actually see what the coaches are trying to do and you can see entire plays develop. The broadcast angle limits so much of the view to where the ball is you miss a lot.

But still, there's no way in hell i'd go to a game if it were 10 degrees, let alone -10. I think 30's would be my limit unless it was a superbowl and the Bears were assured of winning it.

That is cool. I actually prefer to sit in end zones for that reason. That said, I still prefer to watch at home, but would need to be paid to go to a game below 20 degrees.

However, I can't find it, there was a great article about why football was best sport on TV, with that specific point about how when a pass is thrown, you not being able to see where the ball is going leading to a moment of anticipation that anything could happen on other end (one of reasons people like pass heavy teams). Said much better than me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
The Colts had to have an angel buyer buy the last 1200 tickets for their playoff game to keep it from being a blackout. I wonder what their excuse is?

Meijer bought those tickets and is donating them to wounded military vets and their families. Your angel buyer is a saavy corporation earning points with the public.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
Meijer bought those tickets and is donating them to wounded military vets and their families. Your angel buyer is a saavy corporation earning points with the public.

I meant what Colts fans excuses are not buying tickets. They play in a dome.

Weather is still a factor in getting to the game even if the game is indoors. That, plus high ticket prices and the timing of tickets going on sale during a holiday week. I don't know if the NFL doesn't allow this or the Colts just chose not to, but they clinched their division weeks ago and could have been selling tickets without waiting for an exact date/time. Baseball does it.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
Packers game sold out.

It was weird to even see Packer tickets on ticketmaster. I went on a couple time just to look at it, even though I had no plan on going. It was just weird to see.

You couldnt PAY me to go to a game with weather below -20

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

@MattSpiegel670

I've got a source I trust on the official cap hits for the Jay Cutler contract, & the numbers are not as they've been reported/listed.

SOURCE: The official salary cap hits for Cutler are as follows:

’14: 11.8 mil

'15: 15.3

’16: 16.8

’17: 18.3

’18: 18.8

’19: 22

’20: 23

SOURCE: Cutler contract calls for a prorated bonus of $10.8 mil for each of the first 5 seasons, adding up to the $54 mil guaranteed total.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
go to a game with weather below -20

yea that is too cold. I was at the Bears / Packers game last weekend and I was OK, but it was getting close to my limits to how cold of a game I will attend.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
@MattSpiegel670

I've got a source I trust on the official cap hits for the Jay Cutler contract, & the numbers are not as they've been reported/listed.

SOURCE: Cutler contract calls for a prorated bonus of $10.8 mil for each of the first 5 seasons, adding up to the $54 mil guaranteed total.

That is a really nice number in the front.

@MattSpiegel670

Thats pretty good considering he can be cut after year 3. Especially this season, that is not a big hit at all

@MattSpiegel670

So it is $10.8 a year for five years plus

14 - $1M

15 - $4.5M

16 - $ 7.5M

17 - $8M

18 - $10.5M

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)

Spoiled from the Manning years? If that many tickets were unsold, that means a lot of season ticket holders chose to not to purchase them during the season.

Now Bengals fans I can understand, considering what they have gone through recently.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
Thats pretty good considering he can be cut after year 3. Especially this season, that is not a big hit at all

To me, this means it's a 4-5 year deal. Cutting him in years 4 and 5 would "only" save 8m a year.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
So it is $10.8 a year for five years plus

14 - $1M

15 - $4.5M

16 - $7.5M

17 - $8M

18 - $10.5M

Base salary:

14 - $1m

15 - $4.5m

16 - $6m

17 - $7.5m

18 - $8m

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)

I went to a Bears/Falcons game on a Monday night (I think, maybe Sunday night) that was 7 degrees, windchill in the negatives. It was a f***ing blast.

That said, I won't do it again!

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
To me, this means it's a 4-5 year deal. Cutting him in years 4 and 5 would "only" save 8m a year.

Base salary:

14 - $1m

15 - $4.5m

16 - $6m

17 - $7.5m

18 - $8m

That could be an impact guy or two.

At least this leaves the Bears with some money to make some deals the next few years. I'm ok with it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
I went to a Bears/Falcons game on a Monday night (I think, maybe Sunday night) that was 7 degrees, windchill in the negatives. It was a f***ing blast.

That said, I won't do it again!

The Grossman game?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 07:19 PM)
That could be an impact guy or two.

At least this leaves the Bears with some money to make some deals the next few years. I'm ok with it.

Yeah, the market for vet LBs has been non-existent, so I think we'll be able to boost that core easy, and may let us take a flyer on a frontloaded 4 year deal on a better quality S/CB/DL.