2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
Top 10 coldest games in NFL history

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d824da7dd

Hmmm...I could have sworn the Bears/Packers game I went to in like 2007 would have been somewhere on this list...I'll have to look up the temp...

EDIT: Nevermind. It was actually 17 degrees w/ the wind chill. Not nearly as bad as I remembered it being, considering everyone's beers were freezing over before they even got back to their seat to drink it.

Edited by Chilihead90

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
:lolhitting

Someone actually wrote that? Some joke site?

a draft simulator. It's all team needs and probability. It obviously doesnt factor in trades. If someone like Clowney fell out of the top 10, someone is moving up to get him.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 05:07 PM)
Right now, I think the Bears are extremely far away from an average defense. Farther than they were away from an average offense last year when they spent most of their $20 million in cap space on improving the offense.

They don't even have the warm bodies there right now, and the ones they do have are guys like Conte and McClellan.

They're gonna have to hit on a couple picks and pick up a FA or 2 but I think they can be "average" next year.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
Fanspeak's On the Clock NFL Mock Draft Simulator

My third draft:

14 - CB IFO EKPRE-OLOMU (OREGON)

51 - DT AARON DONALD (PITTSBURGH)

82 - S CRAIG LOSTON (LSU)

Nick Shepkowski 's draft:

14 - DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY (SOUTH CAROLINA)

51 - DT AARON DONALD (PITTSBURGH)

82 - S CRAIG LOSTON (LSU)

113 - ILB MAX BULLOUGH (MICHIGAN STATE)

144 - S NICKOE WHITLEY (MISSISSIPPI STATE)

If Clowney drops to 14, there are going to be a lot of teams kicking themselves in a year or 2.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
Right now, I think the Bears are extremely far away from an average defense. Farther than they were away from an average offense last year when they spent most of their $20 million in cap space on improving the offense.

They don't even have the warm bodies there right now, and the ones they do have are guys like Conte and McClellan.

Agree to disagree. I don't think the defense can have as big of a fall from 2012 to 2013 as they did, and still not have some capable players. They went from very good to franchise history worst in one year. I don't see why they can't go from franchise worst to average in another year. This happens all the time in the NFL. Teams go from worst to first every year. In the same way, certain sides of the ball can make major improvement.

Add depth at DT, re-sign Wootton and get him back at his proper DE position, sign a couple veteran LBs and DBs for depth. Then draft a few defensive guys, whether it's DL, LB, or DB. All of a sudden, you have some talent and depth again. This won't be the 2005 Bears defense, but it can be solid. They'll still have some weaknesses and holes, but most teams do. It's up to the Defensive Coordinator to cover those deficiencies.

I'm not saying it'll be easy, but it's doable.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
If Clowney drops to 14, there are going to be a lot of teams kicking themselves in a year or 2.

Which is why this will never happen.

Wait until Clowney's Pro Day or the Combine (whatever he participates in), and when a 275 lb DE runs a sub 4.5 and excels in all the other drills, he'll be a consensus Top 3 pick again.

It's not impossible - Da'quan Bowers was a mortal lock for a top 3 pick, possibly even #1 overall, and then he fell to the middle of the 2nd round due to injury concerns surrounding his knee and I think hip. If they find medical red flags like that, Clowney could see a similar fate, but I strongly doubt that will happen.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
Which is why this will never happen.

Wait until Clowney's Pro Day or the Combine (whatever he participates in), and when a 275 lb DE runs a sub 4.5 and excels in all the other drills, he'll be a consensus Top 3 pick again.

All it takes is an offensive line or QB run and he drops. A good amount of talk and tape on him taking players off and durability issues.

Doubt it happens but it could

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
All it takes is an offensive line or QB run and he drops. A good amount of talk and tape on him taking players off and durability issues.

If Clowney is given a clean bill of health, I give it a 99.9% chance he's a top 5 pick. He's Julius Peppers or Bruce Smith or whoever, an absolute monstrosity of a force whose potential some team will not pass on.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)

I hope it does, because he is a HOFer if he stays healthy.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)
If Clowney is given a clean bill of health, I give it a 99.9% chance he's a top 5 pick. He's Julius Peppers or Bruce Smith or whoever, an absolute monstrosity of a force whose potential some team will not pass on.

It's really tough to see him going anything but #1, and my god that's going to be a defense I don't want to play.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
It's not impossible - Da'quan Bowers was a mortal lock for a top 3 pick, possibly even #1 overall, and then he fell to the middle of the 2nd round due to injury concerns surrounding his knee and I think hip. If they find medical red flags like that, Clowney could see a similar fate, but I strongly doubt that will happen.

Sure. Any major red flags regarding a medical condition could certainly drop Clowney. You could say that about any player, though. Other than the nagging injuries he dealt with in college, there is no reason to assume something major is wrong with him. As long as his health checks out okay, there's no question he'll be a top 5 pick.

My Rams are once again going to have a great draft thanks to that awesome trade with the Redskins that allowed the Redskins to draft RG3. So far the Rams have used those picks for....

DT Michael Brockers, CB Janoris Jenkins, LB Alex Ogletree, RB Zac Stacy, WR Stephen Bailey, and now the #2 overall pick this year, who could be DE Clowney, OR the Rams could pull a 2012 trade all over again and offer up the #2 overall pick for a few more 1st RD picks down the down. Maybe drop down to the Jets pick and take a WR like Mike Evans. And they would STILL have their #13 overall pick as well.

tl;dr, As a Rams fan, RG3 is my favorite player in the NFL pretty much.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)

This is a pretty fun tool. Not sure I'd put too much stock into it right now, but hopefully they'll continue to tweak their simulator picks until it becomes a little more realistic. But definitely fun to mess around with.

I ended up with:

1. CJ Mosley

2. Timmy Jernigan

3. Dom Easley

4. Aaron Lynch

5. Victor Hampton

I tried to get a Safety, but kept finding better value at other positions. And I wanted a developmental QB, but couldn't make it work. I did end up with ridiculous DL talent, though.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
My Rams are once again going to have a great draft thanks to that awesome trade with the Redskins that allowed the Redskins to draft RG3. So far the Rams have used those picks for....

DT Michael Brockers, CB Janoris Jenkins, LB Alex Ogletree, RB Zac Stacy, WR Stephen Bailey, and now the #2 overall pick this year, who could be DE Clowney, OR the Rams could pull a 2012 trade all over again and offer up the #2 overall pick for a few more 1st RD picks down the down. Maybe drop down to the Jets pick and take a WR like Mike Evans. And they would STILL have their #13 overall pick as well.

tl;dr, As a Rams fan, RG3 is my favorite player in the NFL pretty much.

Unless they get a QB, they are just another team.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
This is a pretty fun tool. Not sure I'd put too much stock into it right now, but hopefully they'll continue to tweak their simulator picks until it becomes a little more realistic. But definitely fun to mess around with.

I ended up with:

1. CJ Mosley

2. Timmy Jernigan

3. Dom Easley

4. Aaron Lynch

5. Victor Hampton

I tried to get a Safety, but kept finding better value at other positions. And I wanted a developmental QB, but couldn't make it work. I did end up with ridiculous DL talent, though.

That is cool.

With the Rams I got....

R1 - DE Jadeveon Clowney

R1 - WR Sammy Watkins

R2 - OG Zach Martin

R3 - DT Timmy Jernigan

With the Cowboys I got....

R1 - ILB CJ Mosley

R2 - DE Michael Sam

R3 - S Calvin Pryor

I love what I got w/ the Rams. But the Cowboys picks didn't fall in to place very well. I probably would have traded down my 2nd and 3rd RD picks.

Ironically, I had the Rams trade for RGIII in Madden 25. Then I moved them and they become the Mexico City Golden Eagles and one of the best teams in the league but they still can't beat me.

tl;dr, IM A NERDY MCNERDERSON

Also, I think the Rams should really take a QB. Bradford blooooowwws

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
Unless they get a QB, they are just another team.

Bradford made some strides this year, I have no problem going back to him. Before he got hurt, he was on pace for just under 4,000 yards, 30 TD, and about 9 INT, with a 61% completion rating. He had career highs in every category prior to the injury. Obviously they could improve at QB, but after what I saw I'd like to see him get 1 more year.

I think it's more likely scouts will see just how much help teams put to keep Clowney at bay, just how much they ran to opposite side, and just how much faster they schemed to get the ball out of QBs hands.

He was a monster even this year. His numbers don't do him justice.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
Based on what? I think he'll be top five and his production won't match expectations like what you just said.

I would guess based on the fact that he's a physical monster that was able to put up 13 sacks in his sophomore year after putting up 8 his freshman year. He clearly has motor issues, but he probably didn't want to risk getting hurt this past year.

He can be a dominant force against both the pass and the run. If his motor improves, which might happen if he wants to make a lot of money in his career, he should be a pro bowler for years to come. I feel like it's more likely that he is a star than him busting. The guy is a freak.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
Bradford made some strides this year, I have no problem going back to him. Before he got hurt, he was on pace for just under 4,000 yards, 30 TD, and about 9 INT, with a 61% completion rating. He had career highs in every category prior to the injury. Obviously they could improve at QB, but after what I saw I'd like to see him get 1 more year.

I think he has one more shot. Was looking better before that knee injury. Have to remember that 9 of his touchdowns this past year came against Jaguars, Texans and Falcons. Not exactly a tough test.

If I were them and the Texans pass on Bridgewater, I take him.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
I think he has one more shot. Was looking better before that knee injury. Have to remember that 9 of his touchdowns this past year came against Jaguars, Texans and Falcons. Not exactly a tough test.

If I were them and the Texans pass on Bridgewater, I take him.

At the very, very minimum, you look into as many QBs as you can to see if any of them are right for your franchise. We talked about them before, but I think that team is really, really close to being a contender for the NFC West, which means a contender in the NFC period.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)

I drafted for the Bears with them switching to a 3-4 Defense:

Round 1: CJ Mosley, ILB, Alabama

Round 2: Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU

Round 3: EJ Gaines, CB, Missouri

Round 4: Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU

Round 5: De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon

Round 6: Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois

Round 6: Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida

That was really fun, ha. I was going all D until I saw Thomas in the 5th round still there. I think Hester goes this off-season, and Thomas can replace Hester as well as add multi-use speed burner on offense. And no way Jimmie Ward lasts until the sixth round.

Edited by maggsmaggs