2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 10:22 AM)
Mike Taylor and Te'o are totally different players.

I don't even think Taylor will be drafted.

How are they totally different players?

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/796/1019456/index.html

Taylor 123 tackles, 3 sacks. TFL 15, 4 passes broken up

Te'O 113 tackles, 1.5 sacks. TFL 5.5, 7 int, 4 passes broken up

Now granted Te'O had 7 ints this year to Taylor's 0. But over their career Taylor has had 5 and Te'o 7.

I see both of them as underwhelming athletes who have had great production at the college level. If Taylor doesnt get drafted, it would show how insane it is to draft Te'o in the 1st or 2nd. Taylor was 1st team Big10, but there are just so many ultra talented lbs.

Te'O is hype.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
How are they totally different players?

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/796/1019456/index.html

Taylor 123 tackles, 3 sacks. TFL 15, 4 passes broken up

Te'O 113 tackles, 1.5 sacks. TFL 5.5, 7 int, 4 passes broken up

Now granted Te'O had 7 ints this year to Taylor's 0. But over their career Taylor has had 5 and Te'o 7.

I see both of them as underwhelming athletes who have had great production at the college level. If Taylor doesnt get drafted, it would show how insane it is to draft Te'o in the 1st or 2nd. Taylor was 1st team Big10, but there are just so many ultra talented lbs.

Te'O is hype.

I'm not talking about numbers. Numbers in college can be deceiving.

I'm talking about size and the position they play.

Mike Taylor is a smaller, quicker OLB in a 4-3 defense. T'eo is a bigger inside linebacker in a 3-4.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)

Mike Taylor is a smaller, quicker OLB in a 4-3 defense. T'eo is a bigger inside linebacker in a 3-4.

But Wisconsin

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)

Im not sure what you are referring to.

Mike Taylor Height: 6-2 Weight: 225

Monti Te'o: Height: 6-2 Weight: 255

Ive watched Taylor play every game in Wisconsin, Ive watched Teo 20 times.

This isnt about Taylor btw, its about why Te'o isnt worth a first round draft pick. Te'o should be head and shoulders better than a guy who may not even be drafted.

Kyle,

What does Wisconsin have to do with anything?

I just happen to be familiar with Mike Taylor. This is about why Te'o is not a first round draft grade, unless you are giving him the ND hype bump.

I just simply believe the Bears would be fools to draft Te'o in the first, when you could conceivably get a guy LIKE Mike Taylor, for free. There are just so many good lbs, it makes no sense to overdraft a bad one like Te'o.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 01:44 PM)

This isnt about Taylor btw, its about why Te'o isnt worth a first round draft pick. Te'o should be head and shoulders better than a guy who may not even be drafted.

Kyle,

I just happen to be familiar with Mike Taylor. This is about why Te'o is not a first round draft grade, unless you are giving him the ND hype bump.

I just simply believe the Bears would be fools to draft Te'o in the first, when you could conceivably get a guy LIKE Mike Taylor, for free. There are just so many good lbs, it makes no sense to overdraft a bad one like Te'o.

LMAO. Nothing. Nothing at all.

Kyle,

225 and 255. Te'o is 30 pounds heavier. That is a lot.

They play different positions.

You can only compare players to people you actually watch.

I watch Wisconsin games, thus I compare players to people that I know. Or why I compare to Big 10 players as opposed to SEC/Pac. I just dont watch as many of those games, so I really have no personal knowledge.

I could just make up comparisons, but that really makes no sense. Its not like Im pushing Mike Taylor, I think hes underwhelming athletically, which is what I think about Te'o.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
225 and 255. Te'o is 30 pounds heavier. That is a lot.

They play different positions.

Okay Te'o is worthy of a first round grade, your right.

The Bears should draft Te'o.

Its my opinion, I dont think Te'o is very good. Ive watched him play. He is underwhelming athletically like Mike Taylor. He has been extremely successful in college like Mike Taylor. He is not exactly the same as Mike Taylor, no 2 people are ever exactly the same.

If you think Te'o is great, good. If you think the Bears should draft him in the first round, great.

I dont think so. But we shall see.

Why do you think Te'o is so good?

(edit)

I am not even sure what the argument here is. I merely said that I would prefer the Bears to take a flier on a cheap guy like Mike Taylor, as opposed to paying a heavy premium on Te'O. If you disagree with that fine, but I never once suggested that Taylor was worth of a high pick. I am merely suggesting that Te'O is overhyped.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 02:12 PM)

Its my opinion, I dont think Te'o is very good. Ive watched him play. He is underwhelming athletically like Mike Taylor. He has been extremely successful in college like Mike Taylor. He is not exactly the same as Mike Taylor, no 2 people are ever exactly the same.

If you think Te'o is great, good. If you think the Bears should draft him in the first round, great.

You said the Bears could pass on a guy like Te'o and get a guy like Taylor for free, because he probably won't be drafted. That is like saying you could pass on a certain WR in the first round, because there is a certain TE that will be undrafted. They aren't two players who should be compared. Not because of talent lever, but because they play different positions.

As far as why I think Te'o could be a good player in the NFL. He has great size for a ILB. I think because of his size he can be a good pass rusher from the middle. He tackles well and has shown he can stop the run. I worry that he might not be great in coverage and has a hard time covering quicker players. I think he should be drafted in the late first round or early second round. I think Ogletree and Minter may be better ILB.

I think the Bears should take a punter in the first round. Or long snapper.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 12:12 PM)

I think Te'o's upside is a Zach Thomas type (and no they aren't the same size). Very sound tackler that will be a good player. I don't see him ever being an elite player at his position and I don't know if he has the athleticism required to play Mike in the cover 2 defense. Or at least not the version the Bears use.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)

Considering past history with their first round picks, they probably would be better off. Although, I still hold out some hope for Carimi.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
You said the Bears could pass on a guy like Te'o and get a guy like Taylor for free, because he probably won't be drafted. That is like saying you could pass on a certain WR in the first round, because there is a certain TE that will be undrafted. They aren't two players who should be compared. Not because of talent lever, but because they play different positions.

As far as why I think Te'o could be a good player in the NFL. He has great size for a ILB. I think because of his size he can be a good pass rusher from the middle. He tackles well and has shown he can stop the run. I worry that he might not be great in coverage and has a hard time covering quicker players. I think he should be drafted in the late first round or early second round. I think Ogletree and Minter may be better ILB.

As for the first part, no it really wouldnt be. In my opinion Taylor or Te'O are going to be depth on the Bears. So it would be the difference between getting a WR in the 1st round who is severely over hyped or an undrafted WR, who had comparable stats. And Taylor played MLB in college (at least some downs) and a lot of LBs change position in the pros, so its not comparing 2 completely different positions.

If Te'o is going to be starting for the Bears, they are in real trouble in my mind. I prefer Urlacher/ Willis types, as opposed to Dont'a Hightower/Brandon Spikes types.

Its really early as there hasnt been a combine. But Im basing this on Te'o running a slower than 4.7. He just isnt fast, he may even be over 4.8. I just dont believe in him. There are plenty of other slow linebackers to pick from.

This is about Te'o and why he is a terrible fit for the Bears.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 02:38 PM)
I think Te'o's upside is a Zach Thomas type (and no they aren't the same size). Very sound tackler that will be a good player. I don't see him ever being an elite player at his position and I don't know if he has the athleticism required to play Mike in the cover 2 defense. Or at least not the version the Bears use.

Exactly. He makes no sense with the Bears which is why the premise of "drafting Te'O" makes no sense. And if you are going to get a "very sound tackler" in the "Zach Thomas" mold you might as well go the route of Zach Thomas and get them in the later rounds.

A different Badger is kind of the Zach Thomas, Chris Borland, who seems to be getting higher grades than Taylor. The problem is Im pretty sure Borland will get some sort of medical flag as his shoulders are messed up.

But once again, I am just familiar with Wisconsin. Im sure if I watched the SEC more closely there would be numerous guys Id prefer over Te'O when you account for them being late picks.

The Bears need to use their 1st pick on offense or on a cant miss stud on defense. It cant be a reach for Te'o. It just cant be.

Kyle,

Its not so much that Taylor isnt good, its that Teo is incredibly overrated and I think his numbers show alot of that as well. I think he'll be a clear first round bust if someone takes him there.

Edited by RockRaines

Yep that is all I was trying to get across. Im sure if I was an OSU fan, there would be a super productive linebacker who I would compare to Te'O.

There are just tons of guys who make a lot of tackles in college, who just dont have the physical abilities to be an upper echelon NFL player.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
Yep that is all I was trying to get across. Im sure if I was an OSU fan, there would be a super productive linebacker who I would compare to Te'O.

There are just tons of guys who make a lot of tackles in college, who just dont have the physical abilities to be an upper echelon NFL player.

not this year thats for sure, all we have coming out is Sabino. Ryan Shazier will be a top draft pick but he's an outside LB.

I like taylor and especially Borland. I think they both will be NFL players.

It depends on how you grade out 1st round players. Te'o could be a serviceable starter, but with a first round pick, I would be hoping for upper end starter, potential pro bowl player.

I just dont see that in Te'o. He could blow me away at the combine, but I am expecting some really bad numbers.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)
Why do you think he will be a bust?

Because he doesnt do anything all that well. He's a solid college MLB, but certainly not a game-changer. In fact there have been MLB's that havent gotten nearly the press he did come out and be a little bit overmatched at the NFL level.

Second, the MLB in the NFL is something that is kind of going away a bit with the onset of passing-based offenses and nickel defenses.

FWIW, PFF had Urlacher as among the worst defensive players in the NFL last year, especially at his position. That said, he was near the top the year before. It isn't unreasonable to think that he could get healthy and be great again, though I'm not sure how much money I'd spend on that bet.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
Because he's 1/10th the man Mike Taylor is.

Understanding must not be your strong suit.

Just because I think a McDondalds Big Mac is better than a Whopper, doesnt mean that if a Big Mac costs $1million and a Whopper costs $1, that I will choose the Big Mac.

Cost matters. Te'o is not worth a 1st round pick, because there are lots of LBs and you would be vasty overpaying for his hype.

If you disagree with this, that is fine. But it has nothing to do with whether Mike Taylor is good bad or indifferent. The Mike Taylor comment was merely that I dislike Te'O in the first round so much, that I would prefer a guy that I do not even believe will be drafted, just because that way the Bears wont be wasting a 1st rounder.

Disagree, agree. But the question was about how I would feel if the Bears drafted Te'o in the first, and I stand by my statement that I would not like it.

Feel free to be in the other column of people who think Te'o is worth a first rounder.