2013-2014 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
FWIW, PFF had Urlacher as among the worst defensive players in the NFL last year, especially at his position. That said, he was near the top the year before. It isn't unreasonable to think that he could get healthy and be great again, though I'm not sure how much money I'd spend on that bet.

pretty sure Ptatc said that knee will never be the same

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Former Bears GM Jerry Angelo believes the two most "intoxicating and overrated trait(s) that teams use to justify their draft picks is speed and/or athletic ability."

Angelo believes "speed and raw talent are the real separators between the average and above players," so teams generally fall for players with that natural athleticism. However, Angelo goes on to write that "there are much better ways to evaluate a football player than on just speed or athleticism."

Per Rotoworld

Says the man who sucked at drafting for Da Bears.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Feb 10, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
Former Bears GM Jerry Angelo believes the two most "intoxicating and overrated trait(s) that teams use to justify their draft picks is speed and/or athletic ability."

Angelo believes "speed and raw talent are the real separators between the average and above players," so teams generally fall for players with that natural athleticism. However, Angelo goes on to write that "there are much better ways to evaluate a football player than on just speed or athleticism."

Per Rotoworld

He sucked at drafting in the 1st round. I'm not sure any team produced more starting and impact caliber players in rounds 2-7 than the Bears did during his tenure.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 10, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
He sucked at drafting in the 1st round. I'm not sure any team produced more starting and impact caliber players in rounds 2-7 than the Bears did during his tenure.

I'm not sure any team produced as many 2nd or 3rd round picks who contributed absolutely nothing to their team than the Bears did during his tenure. Dan Bazuin. Michael Okwo. Jarron Gilbert. Juaquin Iglesias.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 12:32 AM)
I'm pretty sure someone else was responsible for all the later round picks that became impact players for the bears but can't recall his name.

I think it was Greg Gabriel

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Feb 10, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)

Per Rotoworld

Why would anyone even ask Jerry Angelo for draft advice? That would be comparable to asking Rosie O'Donnell how to lose weight.

Jerry Angelo has to know his reputation as a poor drafter, that's why he was fired, why would he even offer advice when asked? :huh

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 10, 2013 -> 06:47 PM)
I'm not sure any team produced as many 2nd or 3rd round picks who contributed absolutely nothing to their team than the Bears did during his tenure. Dan Bazuin. Michael Okwo. Jarron Gilbert. Juaquin Iglesias.

You didn't even get special team snaps out of these guys. They were one-and-dones in the Pros. He was an absolutely atrocious talent evaluator.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
I will still say Jerry Angelo was great at drafting until Lovie Smith got his big contract after the Super Bowl and then had a say in personnel decisions.

Angelo was very good at drafting players and then all of a sudden he could no longer do it.

Angelo was never good at drafting first two rounds. His biggest hit was Hester, everything else was pretty bad. Before the Super Bowl he was pretty good at drafting late in drafts, then he lost his touch and started reaching with everything.

His comments are pretty damn ironic considering how many players he drafted merely on athleticism and not on actual football talent, previously mentioned Jarron Gilbert being a big one.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 12:56 PM)
Angelo was never good at drafting first two rounds. His biggest hit was Hester, everything else was pretty bad. Before the Super Bowl he was pretty good at drafting late in drafts, then he lost his touch and started reaching with everything.

His comments are pretty damn ironic considering how many players he drafted merely on athleticism and not on actual football talent, previously mentioned Jarron Gilbert being a big one.

Jarron Gilbert did jump out of a pool. That is pretty impressive.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 12:56 PM)

Tommie Harris was pretty damn good too, but yeah, I get your point. Two of his better first round picks (Harris and G-Reg) were easy picks because they basically fell into his lap.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
Tommie Harris was pretty damn good too, but yeah, I get your point. Two of his better first round picks (Harris and G-Reg) were easy picks because they basically fell into his lap.

Tommie was a pretty good pick, that is true. It was a shame that injury happened to him. Olsen would have been a awesome pick if the Bears OCs knew what to do with him. Instead he was Cutlers outlet(ie. his Brandon Marshall) and then shipped out with no foresight.

So many large misteps in Angelos reign of terror, it is hard to remember the few good things

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
Tommie was a pretty good pick, that is true. It was a shame that injury happened to him. Olsen would have been a awesome pick if the Bears OCs knew what to do with him. Instead he was Cutlers outlet(ie. his Brandon Marshall) and then shipped out with no foresight.

So many large misteps in Angelos reign of terror, it is hard to remember the few good things

I assume among those good things you are considering Rex Grossman.

Also, they will move to 3 downs, they're making the endzone 20 yards long, and there aren't any more touchbacks. To prevent touchbacks, you have to do some stupid kicky thingy.

Football is an inherently dangerous sport. At some point, you begin ruining the integrity of the game with this BS you come up with. If players are now unaware that they can face incredible long term head trauma from playing the game of football, then they are at their own risk.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 08:31 AM)
Also, they will move to 3 downs, they're making the endzone 20 yards long, and there aren't any more touchbacks. To prevent touchbacks, you have to do some stupid kicky thingy.

Football is an inherently dangerous sport. At some point, you begin ruining the integrity of the game with this BS you come up with. If players are now unaware that they can face incredible long term head trauma from playing the game of football, then they are at their own risk.

Instead of making the game safer, the NFL just needs to admit that they now realize the game is dangerous. Make every player sign a waiver excusing you from future liability. If the contracts stay in the millions of dollars, I'm sure guys will still line up to play despite the long-term risks. The "safer" you make the game, the more fans you will end up losing in the long run.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 08:51 AM)
Instead of making the game safer, the NFL just needs to admit that they now realize the game is dangerous. Make every player sign a waiver excusing you from future liability. If the contracts stay in the millions of dollars, I'm sure guys will still line up to play despite the long-term risks. The "safer" you make the game, the more fans you will end up losing in the long run.

The NFL is more popular than ever, and is also more "safe" than ever.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 08:51 AM)

I was thinking of a waiver myself. All sports should make you sign it. Long time NBA players have to have just terrible ankles and knees, while baseball players end up with terrible backs and shoulders.

That's not to say you should stop trying to make technological advancements that improve the health of players, both short and long term, but quit changing the game.