Pope resigns/ New Pope Chosen

Milkman delivers

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. Let the politics and jockying begin. The last person from the US that was even close, and it wasn't that close, was Cardinal Bernardin. Cardinal Dolan in NY would seem to be the leading American candidate but there are a couple guys that Rome will prefer. I believe the first American will be much older, Dolan is only 60. However, Dolan is an awesome speaker, and seems to be well liked by the other Cardinals.

You will hear a lot about the guy in Africa whose name escapes me now. It would be a nod towards breaking up the European influences. There is another candidate in Mexico and one in Canada that may also receive some attention, but I doubt they will get past the first round of voting. If they stay in Europe, there are a few Italians that will be mentioned, but Cardinal Scola is probably the only serious candidate.

I can't wait for the non stop vigils outside the Vatican, watching the smoke from the chimney.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 07:42 AM)
Hmm. Let the politics and jockying begin. The last person from the US that was even close, and it wasn't that close, was Cardinal Bernardin. Cardinal Dolan in NY would seem to be the leading American candidate but there are a couple guys that Rome will prefer. I believe the first American will be much older, Dolan is only 60. However, Dolan is an awesome speaker, and seems to be well liked by the other Cardinals.

You will hear a lot about the guy in Africa whose name escapes me now. It would be a nod towards breaking up the European influences. There is another candidate in Mexico and one in Canada that may also receive some attention, but I doubt they will get past the first round of voting. If they stay in Europe, there are a few Italians that will be mentioned, but Cardinal Scola is probably the only serious candidate.

I can't wait for the non stop vigils outside the Vatican, watching the smoke from the chimney.

They will go with someone from Africa.

I guess this is important, according to all the Catholic folks I know. It certainly is strange that no other pope thought to leave the office as his capacity to perform it well declined. I suppose I'd like to see some more geographic diversity in that post, but I can't say I really care that much. It was cool that Benedict was multilingual, though.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 08:48 AM)
I guess this is important, according to all the Catholic folks I know. It certainly is strange that no other pope thought to leave the office as his capacity to perform it well declined. I suppose I'd like to see some more geographic diversity in that post, but I can't say I really care that much. It was cool that Benedict was multilingual, though.

Pretty sure that is normal of Popes. Pope John Paul II spoke 8 languages fluently

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
They will go with someone from Africa.

One of the leading canddates is from Africa. What happens more times than not is the leading candidate has both strong support and equally strong detractors, leaving a path for the guy who is the 2nd choice but without much "baggage". Like SS2k5 I enjoy the pomp and circumstances and ancient ritual that lead to the choice.

I doubt its an American. Id actually think its going to be from a classic place like Spain, Italy or France. As much as the Church may want to bring in outsiders, right now they need to get their house in order and that starts in the European mainland.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)
I doubt its an American. Id actually think its going to be from a classic place like Spain, Italy or France. As much as the Church may want to bring in outsiders, right now they need to get their house in order and that starts in the European mainland.

With as much anti-Americanism as there is in the world, there is zero chance at an American pope.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 03:31 PM)
Good riddance. This Pope obviously had a tough act to follow, but I doubt anyone will be too sorry to see him go.

Apparently you don't read many newspapers, or much of anything at all then...because there are millions that are already sorry to see him go.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
Is their an age limit to be Pope? Church should go younger.

They will. This selection was a place holder because the younger candidates didn't have enough support 7 years ago. That's how I remember it anyway.