2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 07:58 AM)
Joe Posnanski ‏@JPosnanski 10h

Last time KC and Pittsburgh were alone in first place on same day? April 8, 2003. Last time this late in season? May 15, 1997.

Maybe the Sox should start a rebuild and get back to first place by 2029!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'll beat the this into the ground one last time but because the game thread from yesterday is closed, I'll post it here. SS2K5 may like this.

Apparently Tom Hallion, who threw Hellickson out yesterday, was suspended for 3 days in 1999 when as the home plate ump, because he bumped a player during an argument after ejecting a player and Jim Leyland.

link

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 05:25 PM)
I guess I'll beat the this into the ground one last time but because the game thread from yesterday is closed, I'll post it here. SS2K5 may like this.

Apparently Tom Hallion, who threw Hellickson out yesterday, was suspended for 3 days in 1999 when as the home plate ump, because he bumped a player during an argument after ejecting a player and Jim Leyland.

link

What's your point? Obviously you get suspended for that.

UMPS SUCK

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 03:01 AM)
Hey they're still playing ball in Cali.

A's - Angels 8-8 in the 18th inning.

Thanks for the heads up, I just got home from work. Top of the 19th.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 11:17 PM)
What's your point? Obviously you get suspended for that.

UMPS SUCK

Which is exactly what should happen, and should happen again if what happened with Price is true. I'm not sure what you are defending here. Umps should face punishment just like a player does if they step out of line.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 01:17 AM)
That there's a history with this ymp, it's not the first time he's had a dramatic confrontation with a player.

LOL history. 14 years ago, over a thousand games ago.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 07:04 AM)
Which is exactly what should happen, and should happen again if what happened with Price is true. I'm not sure what you are defending here. Umps should face punishment just like a player does if they step out of line.

He didn't bump Price.

Did Price face punishment for showing him up and then barking at him and initiating the whole thing after the inning? Neither should be suspended. It was handled on the field.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 08:04 AM)

Clearly he's just trying to go against the grain here. To think Price initiated all this is laughable.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
Clearly he's just trying to go against the grain here. To think Price initiated all this is laughable.

Oh really?

Showed him up after the pitch, and Price started barking at him after the inning as he walked off.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
Anyone see the video of Bryan Bullington throwing at a player in Japan or Korea who called timeout? He was awarded timeout, and Bullington fired the pitch right at him. LOL.

ksoKY4E.gif

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)
LOL history. 14 years ago, over a thousand games ago.

He didn't bump Price.

Did Price face punishment for showing him up and then barking at him and initiating the whole thing after the inning? Neither should be suspended. It was handled on the field.

Somehow I would bet that cursing at a player saying nothing to you isn't something in the umpires handbook.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
Oh really?

Showed him up after the pitch, and Price started barking at him after the inning as he walked off.

So why didn't he throw him out, instead of instigating the situation at a point where Price was saying nothing to him? The umpire was in the wrong there. No way around it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
Somehow I would bet that cursing at a player saying nothing to you isn't something in the umpires handbook.

Wrong again. Go watch the clip. Price was yelling at him as he walked off the field.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 02:00 PM)
So why didn't he throw him out, instead of instigating the situation at a point where Price was saying nothing to him? The umpire was in the wrong there. No way around it.

See above on "Price saying nothing to him."

Had he tossed him immediately, you'd be on here b****ing about an umpire that has a short fuse, etc. You do what you can to keep him in the game. Good game management.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
Wrong again. Go watch the clip. Price was yelling at him as he walked off the field.

See above on "Price saying nothing to him."

Had he tossed him immediately, you'd be on here b****ing about an umpire that has a short fuse, etc. You do what you can to keep him in the game. Good game management.

Cursing at a player isn't good game management. It is being a bad umpire. Why don't the umpires have to follow any rules? It is like the police, they are supposed to be above breaking the rules. That is a part of their job. If you have umpires going after players, that doesn't work.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)
Cursing at a player isn't good game management. It is being a bad umpire. Why don't the umpires have to follow any rules? It is like the police, they are supposed to be above breaking the rules. That is a part of their job. If you have umpires going after players, that doesn't work.

Yes, because no player or manager has ever swore during the course of a game or argument. And it doesn't lead to automatic ejection. Not high school rules here - it's in that rulebook.

Again, not s***-eating robots.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
Yes, because no player or manager has ever swore during the course of a game or argument. And it doesn't lead to automatic ejection. Not high school rules here - it's in that rulebook.

Again, not s***-eating robots.

And not having to follow the rules. Rules exist to prevent exactly this situation, just like they do for players. The difference is no one can eject an umpire, which is why the league has to have some standards here. Umpires don't get to do whatever they want, thankfully.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
And not having to follow the rules. Rules exist to prevent exactly this situation, just like they do for players. The difference is no one can eject an umpire, which is why the league has to have some standards here. Umpires don't get to do whatever they want, thankfully.

Please find me the rule.