2013 Cubs catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 07:19 AM)
caulfield12, bringing you non-stop pointless Jorge Soler updates since 2013.

Fine, I guess since it's better to just go with the FIRST story and never get an accurate picture...we should simply paint Soler as another Delmon Young because he's a Cubs' prospects and some are too lazy to actually care about the truth.

Sigh.

I walked in to Bacardi at the Park before the game on Opening Day just in time to catch Lillibridge make a nice play to save a hit on one of the screens. I thought I saw that he had a decent spring as well. Thought he might have a chance to stick around with this particular team, if only long enough for them to flip him to a contender (should anyone have a pressing need for a Brent Lillibridge). Guess not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
Maybe Billy Beane? I can hear the Cub fans now... "look what he did with nothing in Oakland!"

They've got to give him enough time to develop his picks. However, I think they are ridiculously stupid for signing some of the players they did that may actually make them NOT the worst team in the league. If you get the keys to do an entire rebuild, tank, and tank hard.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 08:49 PM)
Cubs signed old closer Kevin Gregg and brought him up on the major league team. Sounds like the rebuilding process is ahead of schedule!

As well as Kameron Loe

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 04:49 PM)
They've got to give him enough time to develop his picks. However, I think they are ridiculously stupid for signing some of the players they did that may actually make them NOT the worst team in the league. If you get the keys to do an entire rebuild, tank, and tank hard.

With the Astros moving to the AL they have a shot at it. The Marlins still might be worse though.

I'm not sure what the Cubs fan base would do with a total "Marlins-like" sell-off. They have finally started to discover the last couple of years that losing isn't really all that fun.

I think most of the one that are still left are either the die-hards that are terrified that they'll finally win it all the year they decide to jump ship or the casual fans that are just there to drink beer and party. But the numbers of definitely declining. They have a lot of faith in Theo's 5-year plan.

Reason number 8,320 why all-season interleague sucks. Good luck finding a date that works for a Rangers/Cubs makeup!

August 22--Make it a day/night multi-team doubleheader at Wrigley. Regularly scheduled Cubs-Nats game at 1:05 and the makeup Cubs-Rangers game at 7:05.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 07:49 PM)
lol @ believing anything Rodgers writes.

It's based on a radio interview where Buster Oney said that the Cubs make sense as a trade partner with Tampa. I disagree, as there's no way Tampa gives him up without acquiring some top-notch pitching prospects, which the Cubs have none of.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
It's based on a radio interview where Buster Oney said that the Cubs make sense as a trade partner with Tampa. I disagree, as there's no way Tampa gives him up without acquiring some top-notch pitching prospects, which the Cubs have none of.

Their entire farm system wouldn't get them Price.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 08:57 PM)
Their entire farm system wouldn't get them Price.

Disagree, as Soler and Baez are 2 of the better offensive prospects in the game, and scouts love Almora. Their farm system is top 15 now in nearly every publication I believe.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
Disagree, as Soler and Baez are 2 of the better offensive prospects in the game, and scouts love Almora. Their farm system is top 15 now in nearly every publication I believe.

None of them are major league ready, and none of them are pitchers.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)

Impressive. 3 straight losing seasons following a season with 83 wins, $30 million+ spent on Cubans, 2 straight drafts in the top 10 (will be 3 this year), and they're "top 15 in nearly every publication". I mean, that's amazing, all the way up to the middle of the pack despite losing year after year.

Man, I'm jealous of how well run that franchise is. Just makes me want to have a losing team for half a decade too, so that we can be fringe-top-15 in nearly every publication.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
Impressive. 3 straight losing seasons following a season with 83 wins, $30 million+ spent on Cubans, 2 straight drafts in the top 10 (will be 3 this year), and they're "top 15 in nearly every publication". I mean, that's amazing, all the way up to the middle of the pack despite losing year after year.

Man, I'm jealous of how well run that franchise is. Just makes me want to have a losing team for half a decade too, so that we can be fringe-top-15 in nearly every publication.

lol

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 10:29 PM)

I never said I thought the franchise was in good position, just refuting ss2k's post that their farm system doesn't have enough to get Price if they gave up "everyone". The funny thing is that for all the credit Theo will get if they rebuild things, it was the pick of Baez before he even got there that was probably the best decision they made.