2013 AL Central Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ May 22, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
the starting pitching is awful (outside of Diamond). Thus, the bullpen has been overworked.

after the game, Worley got sent to Rochester. Samuel Deduno gets a crack at the rotation.

What's the current thinking on the team? The decent start was giving false hope?

That they're returning to what was expected?

What about Ryan's performance, trying to undo the damage of the Bill Smith years? What's the patience level?

Obviously, Aaron Hicks is the player to be most concerned about, in terms of how long they keep him at the major league level.

How are the youngsters like Sano and Buxton doing? Gibson? Their other top pitching prospect?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 22, 2013 -> 09:56 PM)
What's the current thinking on the team? The decent start was giving false hope?

What about Ryan's performance, trying to undo the damage of the Bill Smith years? What's the patience level?

Obviously, Aaron Hicks is the player to be most concerned about, in terms of how long they keep him at the major league level.

How are the youngsters like Sano and Buxton doing? Gibson? Their other top pitching prospect?

They're incredible, could very well end up #1 and 2 prospects in all of baseball.

I know you guys hate Ozzie for the most part, but he knows what it takes to win and I think he'd be PERFECT for the Royals.

People here are growing impatient and think Ned must go. He got rid of a hitting coach that helped turn Alex Gordon around and now all the entire team can do is hit singles. Now the starting pitching is even growing a bit unreliable outside of No. 1.

Getz can't hit; Francouer can't hit; Salvy Perez may be one of those guys who gets hurt a lot with that big body at catcher; Hosmer is an average singles hitter right now; Moustakas is a possible bust; Cain looks good but is in a slump and we'll see how long the slump continues.

If they fire Ned ... why not Ozzie??

p.s. to the mods: If you don't want the discussion to turn to Ozzie by all means kill my post. I'm not trying to be a dick here.

Edited by greg775

He had a team capable of winning some games last year. That project was set to fail from the beginning, but they should have been better.

I think it's less "Ozzie knows how to win" and more "Williams is better at building teams than people give him credit for"

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 22, 2013 -> 03:56 PM)

While there is concern for Hicks, I think more concerning is the starting pitching. They can strike any out and the give up way too many hits. Then it would be the extended slump Josh Willingham has been in. I think they expected Hicks to go throw some growing pains, but his horrid start has really depressed his numbers. Hicks' defense has been pretty good too.

The calls for firing Ron Gardenhire are really growing louder (and rumblings of clearing out the whole front office and starting over. To me, that plan in unrealistic because its just not the way the Twins operate. That goes back to the Senators days) , but with what he has to work with for starting pitching, I dont get it. I think there is some patience in the fandom because of Sano and Buxton and a few other minor leaguers, but sometimes it gets frustrating watching the current team knowing that they are already losing 4-0 before the game even starts.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ May 22, 2013 -> 05:59 PM)
While there is concern for Hicks, I think more concerning is the starting pitching. They can strike any out and the give up way too many hits. Then it would be the extended slump Josh Willingham has been in. I think they expected Hicks to go throw some growing pains, but his horrid start has really depressed his numbers. Hicks' defense has been pretty good too.

The calls for firing Ron Gardenhire are really growing louder (and rumblings of clearing out the whole front office and starting over. To me, that plan in unrealistic because its just not the way the Twins operate. That goes back to the Senators days) , but with what he has to work with for starting pitching, I dont get it. I think there is some patience in the fandom because of Sano and Buxton and a few other minor leaguers, but sometimes it gets frustrating watching the current team knowing that they are already losing 4-0 before the game even starts.

But that was the Slowey/Blackburn/Radke model.

Pitch to contact. Get ahead in counts. Throw strikes, especially on the first pitch. Let your defense make the plays behind you. The teams with more talent (White Sox, at times) will make mistakes and beat themselves. Grind it out. Slide head first into 1B even though all research has shown it slows you down, it inspires the fans and gets dirt on your uniform (Nick Punto). The Piranhas. ETC.

At a certain point, you need talent and stuff to overcome the limitations of an institutional/organizational philosophy.

For now, your attendance is in the high 20's....but another year of this and it might be 25,000 or less.

Figuring out the position players, however, including how to fill Trevor Plouffe’s spot while he recovers from a concussion, “is the least of my concerns right now,” Gardenhire said. “Our pitching staff is more of a concern than anything else.”

As it should be. The starters’ combined ERA is 5.69, and opposing batters are hitting .333 against them. They’ve struck out only 57 hitters in 43 games, allowed 32 home runs, and made some odd choices — such as Worley’s down-the-middle fastball to Evan Gattis with a 3-0 count and the bases loaded in the fourth inning. startribune.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 23, 2013 -> 07:29 AM)
Victor Martinez & Alex Avila's combined OPS: 1.122

Miguel Cabrera's OPS: 1.144

I thought Victor Martinez was guaranteed to start putting up .900+ OPS numbers immediately upon return?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2013 -> 07:30 AM)
I thought Victor Martinez was guaranteed to start putting up .900+ OPS numbers immediately upon return?

Nobody said that...just that it would take some time for him to come back at his age and when he got it going again offensively, they would be even more of a force to be reckoned with.

Not unlike the rust it's going to take John Danks to shake off.

He probably won't be the same pitcher he was until 2014...if we're lucky.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2013 -> 08:51 AM)
Nobody said that...just that it would take some time for him to come back at his age and when he got it going again offensively, they would be even more of a force to be reckoned with.

Not unlike the rust it's going to take John Danks to shake off.

He probably won't be the same pitcher he was until 2014...if we're lucky.

So after some time Victor Martinez will get it going again offensively, but John Danks will be lucky to be any good NEXT season?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 23, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
Yes.

Totally different injuries.

And I'm defining "good" here with Danks as being "under a 4.00 ERA" at least.

So, if I had to bet...I would say it's more likely that Martinez puts up a 750-775 OPS than Danks being a sub 4.00 ERA pitcher in 2013. Could be wrong on both counts, that's possible, too.

Not to mention the fact that pitchers who miss a full year from pitching....there's just no way they're going to be able to shake off all that rust and get their control back the first 2-3 months pitching, like a hitter gets his timing back.

I always thought of Martinez as "a born hitter," and I do think it's easier for a hitter than a pitcher to get back to normal.

Granted, Martinez is quite a bit older....so you never know, as lots of hitters (see Konerko) tend to suddenly lose bat speed in their mid to late 30's.

Edited by caulfield12

Tigers very easily could sweep through the Twins this weekend. (Of course, their offense will have to score 8+ runs to support Porcello tonight).

Tigers have the same problem as the Sox. Smyly would be a better starter than Porcello, but they need him to shore up their bullpen as the long man. With that offense, he's a key cog as he can shut down the opponent and give their offense time to rally back in games.

Minnie's already lost 8 in a row. Deduno (we remember him from last year) going tmrw.

Cabrera homer #14, RBI's 53 and 54. Hitting .390 currently.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2013 -> 07:50 PM)
Totally different injuries.

And I'm defining "good" here with Danks as being "under a 4.00 ERA" at least.

So, if I had to bet...I would say it's more likely that Martinez puts up a 750-775 OPS than Danks being a sub 4.00 ERA pitcher in 2013. Could be wrong on both counts, that's possible, too.

Not to mention the fact that pitchers who miss a full year from pitching....there's just no way they're going to be able to shake off all that rust and get their control back the first 2-3 months pitching, like a hitter gets his timing back.

I always thought of Martinez as "a born hitter," and I do think it's easier for a hitter than a pitcher to get back to normal.

Granted, Martinez is quite a bit older....so you never know, as lots of hitters (see Konerko) tend to suddenly lose bat speed in their mid to late 30's.

Yes

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ May 24, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
From the Royals telecast

k-bigpic.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So many mistakes.

That's understandable, the Royals obviously don't have much experience with prospects that pan out. They were so confused by these young player's success.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 24, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)
That guy is so much more talented and gifted than Nate Jones.

I have such a manboner for Kelvin Herrera. If they want to switch, they can have Nate Jones.

Nate Jones struggles with "control," which is a very dangerous thing for a reliever to struggle with. Kelvin Herrera struggles with "trusting his stuff too much because he can throw the ball 400 miles an hour but we're in the majors and hitters can catch up to that s***," which is an incredibly easy problem to correct.