Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
The part that really rubbed e wrong is when he invoked Westboro. That comparison just doesnt work. Like I said, would he say "if you believe in Allah, then you are clearly a terrorist?" Of course he'd never say that. but because someone might believe homosexuality, you are clearly like Westboro.

I agree 100%. The caller wasn't saying he hated anyone, he just believes homosexuality is a sin. I may not agree with that caller, but that doesn't make him anything like those sick f***s at Westboro. That was just another pathetic argument that I've come to expect from Bernstein.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
The part that really rubbed e wrong is when he invoked Westboro. That comparison just doesnt work. Like I said, would he say "if you believe in Allah, then you are clearly a terrorist?" Of course he'd never say that. but because someone might believe homosexuality, you are clearly like Westboro.

I agree with what you are saying completely.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
see, this is where the opposition (people like Bernstein) takes things to an extreme. Just because you believe that doesnt mean you HATE the person. I believe homosexuality is a biblical sin. but the bible says to LOVE your neighbor as you love yourself. I'll love any gay person as a human being. But, when we all die, God will judge. Maybe I am wrong. I'll leave that up to god.

Does believing being gay is a sin make you a bigot? I believe that depends on your actions and I'd never treat a gay person any differently than a straight or bi person.

This is the only post I will have on this topic because I do not want this to turn into a religious debate. I agree with the above quote 100%.

As a devout christian and one who believes that the Bible is the Word of God; Dan Bernstein really ticked me off yesterday when he stated that the Bible is outdated in alot of areas and needs to be "reformed" as he says. Of course "reformed" to his way of thinking; which is, in my opinion 100% wrong!

I, for one, will find something else to listen to on the way home from work. I only tolerated B & B before when they were actually talking sports. I will now not be tuning in to AM 670 when Bernstein is on.

I'm out.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 08:11 AM)
fwiw I think Bernstein's own background is reformed Judaism, and at one point he was criticizing orthodox Jews as well for being sexist and homophobic.

Yes, he will bash anyone for ratings. His actions are no different than Broussard's. Taking extreme stands for ratings. Although I do admit at times like these I listen to Bernstein to see how he makes a fool of himself, so the ratings ploy works. I like the part where he insited that homosexuality must be genetic and people have no choice. What about his twin brother? or the WNBA player who came out then changed her mind and married a man.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
Yes, he will bash anyone for ratings. His actions are no different than Broussard's. Taking extreme stands for ratings. Although I do admit at times like these I listen to Bernstein to see how he makes a fool of himself, so the ratings ploy works. I like the part where he insited that homosexuality must be genetic and people have no choice. What about his twin brother? or the WNBA player who came out then changed her mind and married a man.

Bernstein has a gay twin brother????

Ok, and I'd actually like to have a discussion about "born gay" (i do believe there is a difference between "born" and "choice"), but maybe at a later date when this Collins story isnt hot in the news and things calm down a bit. I have a few questions based in basic ignorance on the topic.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
What about his twin brother? or the WNBA player who came out then changed her mind and married a man.

There are other example of twins where one is gay and one is straight. In fact, my wife grew up with a pair as her neighbors. She said everyone knew even when they were kids that the one was gay .

I don't think people can choose to be gay but they can choose how to live their lives. I have a cousin that is gay even though he has a biological son from his ex-wife.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 1, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)
There are other example of twins where one is gay and one is straight. In fact, my wife grew up with a pair as her neighbors. She said everyone knew even when they were kids that the one was gay .

I don't think people can choose to be gay but they can choose how to live their lives. I have a cousin that is gay even though he has a biological son from his ex-wife.

You mean like Jarron and Jason Collins? :)

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
Exactly. I actually agree with Bernstein on this issue, but the way he sells his point is always over the top and arrogant.

I agree, Bernstein has a great point on all of this.

People hiding behind the Bible to hate on it, in his words, "have to own it." And he's right. He just owned a guy while talking about how wearing clothing from two different threads is a sin according to the Bible, but no one acknowledges that. They cherry-pick the Bible.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 07:59 AM)
This is the only post I will have on this topic because I do not want this to turn into a religious debate. I agree with the above quote 100%.

As a devout christian and one who believes that the Bible is the Word of God; Dan Bernstein really ticked me off yesterday when he stated that the Bible is outdated in alot of areas and needs to be "reformed" as he says. Of course "reformed" to his way of thinking; which is, in my opinion 100% wrong!

I, for one, will find something else to listen to on the way home from work. I only tolerated B & B before when they were actually talking sports. I will now not be tuning in to AM 670 when Bernstein is on.

I'm out.

I realize you won't respond to this, but I'll respond to your post anyway. The Bible can make you hate a lot of people. The Bible IS outdated in a lot of areas (see my post above).

If the Bible makes you hate people for being born something, then you need to re-think it.

I don't think God would want us to hate people or not be intolerant of people for being different.

So his whole point about the Westboro stuff actually holds weight. He used an extreme to make a point, but it works.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 07:59 AM)

I'm out.

The Bible has been reformed to support the wishes of empires through the years so why not reform it to actually make sense in the common times?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 1, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
I agree, Bernstein has a great point on all of this.

People hiding behind the Bible to hate on it, in his words, "have to own it." And he's right. He just owned a guy while talking about how wearing clothing from two different threads is a sin according to the Bible, but no one acknowledges that. They cherry-pick the Bible.

You ever disagree with Bernstein?

QUOTE (lord chas @ May 1, 2013 -> 06:00 PM)
You ever disagree with Bernstein?

Yes, but that has nothing to do with anything. Address the argument or reasoning if you wish. He's right on this one, so I'm with him.

Anyway, just to name a couple to make you happy, I completely disagree with his take on dogs and his take on high school and college sports.

The Bible has been reformed to support the wishes of empires through the years so why not reform it to actually make sense in the common times?

I'm not sure what you mean by "reformed". The makeup of the Bible has been pretty much consistent since the 5th century, with the notable exception of the Protestant reformation removing the Apocrypha.

Interpretations of various parts of the Bible have certainly changed, but not the actual words.

I realize you won't respond to this, but I'll respond to your post anyway. The Bible can make you hate a lot of people. The Bible IS outdated in a lot of areas (see my post above).

If the Bible makes you hate people for being born something, then you need to re-think it.

I don't think God would want us to hate people or not be intolerant of people for being different.

So his whole point about the Westboro stuff actually holds weight. He used an extreme to make a point, but it works.

The Bible can't make you hate people. People full of hate use the Bible to justify it. The Bible is not outdated in this area, because it clearly directs us not to hate people or be intolerant.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 2, 2013 -> 10:26 AM)
I had a nice Twitter conversation last night with a few now former B&B listeners who just cant tolerate Bernsteain anymore. I'm glad to see there are more than a few who have grown tired of his tolling act

He's made great points this whole time. Too many people believing the Bible and that homosexuality is a sin, but don't want to be labeled as a bigot or intolerant. It's ridiculous. And those are the people he's turning off, for calling out.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 2, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)
He's made great points this whole time. Too many people believing the Bible and that homosexuality is a sin, but don't want to be labeled as a bigot or intolerant. It's ridiculous. And those are the people he's turning off, for calling out.

yeah but it's a sports talk show

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 2, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
yeah but it's a sports talk show

Who cares. It's talk radio. They aren't allowed to talk about anything but sports? I guess they shouldn't been updating people on the Boston bombing situation either.