West Region

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 01:35 PM)
I feel bad for ISU should have been up at least 3 and shooting a free throw on that clear block by Craft. College refs ruin the game.

They were in the bonus with 10+ min left in the game. They got plenty of calls on their side.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)
He did this earlier, basically called the conference overrated.

They showed a graphic to Barkley before this game where the Big 10 was like 8-2 so far in the tourney and he responded by saying they'll lose a couple games today with the Illini and Gophers.

If #1 handles it business against Temple, we'll have 1/4 of the Sweet 16, with 2 other games that have a shot.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
He said that Thurs morning. Said Mountain West and Pac12 were better.

"No disrespect to the Big Ten," Barkley said during his bit on CBS' selection show. "They got some good teams. Now here comes the disrespect. The Big Ten is overrated. They got a bunch of good teams, but to win the national championship. . . you have to have a great player. Now Michigan has got a great player. . . . Michigan State has great players. Indiana. The rest of them are just good teams."

Im betting he cant name more than 4 players in the conference.

Illinois wasn't even a factor for the B1G title and I guarantee Miami and everyone else is shaking in their boots to play a 7 seed of that caliber. Everyone knows the Illini could go lay an egg, that's why they're a 7 seed, but they also know that we beat two 1 seeds and a 2 seed in this tournament and can beat anyone on a given day. No other conferences have middle of the pack teams like that -- even Minnesota, inconsistent but can really play ball on the right day with anybody.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
He said that Thurs morning. Said Mountain West and Pac12 were better.

And he's going to keep saying that because people are still talking about him and being so sensitive. One guy has said the Big 10 is overrated and everyone clings to that person.

I cant stand the NBA but I find the post game show with him and Kenny entertaining. But its a slap in the face to Greg Anthony to work with those two when those two probably watch 200 total minutes of college basketball all year. Chuck and Kenny are as vague as possible when analyzing teams because they dont know anything about them. Its a trainwreck.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)
I don't blame him that much on the refs. The officiating in the tourney has been awful and the refs don't even know the rule on the block charge call.

Its been that way for years though. It will get a little better as this weekend comes to an end. The refs get weeded out.

I'm not going to blame the refs for the loss on this one, it was a tough call. However, I just hate when defenders move under the offensive player while they're in the air and then get the charge call. Really, really annoying.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 02:22 PM)
I'm not going to blame the refs for the loss on this one, it was a tough call. However, I just hate when defenders move under the offensive player while they're in the air and then get the charge call. Really, really annoying.

It wasn't a tough call and the block/charge isn't difficult to officiate. If you call it a block each time you will almost always be right. Charges should be incredibly rare and Craft was clearly late getting over and was in the arc on that play.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
And he's going to keep saying that because people are still talking about him and being so sensitive. One guy has said the Big 10 is overrated and everyone clings to that person. And unfortunately, there will be people that will crow they were right if someone from the B1G doesn't win the title.

I cant stand the NBA but I find the post game show with him and Kenny entertaining. But its a slap in the face to Greg Anthony to work with those two when those two probably watch 200 total minutes of college basketball all year. Chuck and Kenny are as vague as possible when analyzing teams because they dont know anything about them. Its a train wreck. I agree completely. This is the only downside to the change to have all games on and split between the 4 channels.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
It wasn't a tough call and the block/charge isn't difficult to officiate. If you call it a block each time you will almost always be right. Charges should be incredibly rare and Craft was clearly late getting over and was in the arc on that play.

Coaches push for charges which is why they are called. Especially this crew which blew a s***load of whistles today. Loo at every game at Duke.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)

I don't think the arc had any bearing on whether the call was right or wrong. Craft was not in position regardless so the call was wrong.

That said, I disagree with you on two things. It's not easy to make the call and just calling a block every time is the wrong approach. The right approach is to get every call right. Unfortunately that doesn't happen realistically. The players have gotten bigger and faster. Fans get the benefit of seeing the replays and and the play slowed down. Referees don't get that benefit. They see it once at full speed and half the time have other player's bodies in the way.

Second, I prefer not to focus on calls at the end of the game and isolate them as blowing the game. Calls are missed throughout the game that alter the momentum of the game. It's not fair to isolate on one call just because of the timing.

I think they're not doing a good job on the charge calls, but I don't think they should be rare. The defense needs to be armed with a defense for the guys that just charge the hoop every play. Can't be an automatic foul if the defense wants to contest a driving offensive player.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 10:38 PM)
I missed the last minute, but supposedly Ole Miss got screwed by the refs even more than Iowa St or Illinois tonight on a last minute call.

I didn't see most of that game either, it's the one I missed today but I'm getting so fed up with the officiating so far this tournament. It seemed like hald of the games this weekend had terrible calls that were game changers.