Brad Stephens: bring the brick and ivy to Rosemont

justBLAZE

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
I still think the Cubs will be bunking with the sox. It may even be as early as 2014.

Why else would the red line project get fast tracked?

The Red Line project is supposed to run from May through October. By opening day 2014, many of the same slow zones will be back.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 1, 2013 -> 09:25 AM)
@PWSullivan

Ricketts first threat: Will consider moving out of Wrigley if he doesn't get his signage

Did they laugh at him after he said it? I do believe he should be able to do what he wants re the video board, advertising signs etc. , however, I would love for them to call his bluff.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 2, 2013 -> 08:24 PM)
So if the Sox moved to the suburbs there would be a mass exodus over to Wrigley? I don't see it. Cub fans will continue to be Cub fans, they ain't going anywhere.

Sox fans aren't obsessed with their stadium and don't use it as their only excuse for why they like the team.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 3, 2013 -> 01:24 AM)
So if the Sox moved to the suburbs there would be a mass exodus over to Wrigley? I don't see it. Cub fans will continue to be Cub fans, they ain't going anywhere.

Bigger question is if the Sox would get more fans if they moved to the suburbs than they currently have.

Ricketts needs to get courted by one of the suburbs, have an artists rendering of a park, and a full plan to present as an alternative if he wants to be taken seriously. Otherwise, stfu, people are laughing at your empty threats

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2013 -> 08:26 PM)
Ricketts needs to get courted by one of the suburbs, have an artists rendering of a park, and a full plan to present as an alternative if he wants to be taken seriously. Otherwise, stfu, people are laughing at your empty threats

I don't even think that would be anywhere near enough. There is no way he would replicate what he has in any suburb. Busloads from Iowa aren't going to Rosemont. If the Cubs moved, they would become just another team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
I don't even think that would be anywhere near enough. There is no way he would replicate what he has in any suburb. Busloads from Iowa aren't going to Rosemont. If the Cubs moved, they would become just another team.

Cubs fans are cubs fans. People didnt stop going to see the Yankees because they built a new stadium. If Ricketts built an awesome new stadium with tons of amenities, and Theo's plan came to fruition, the fans would come.

They may lose a lot of casual wrigley fans, but lets not pretend like the cubs fans aren't one of the best traveling fanbases in baseball. They practically sell out Miller Park and chase field by themselves. Those fans aren't going to see the field, they are going to see the team.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 3, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
Cubs fans are cubs fans. People didnt stop going to see the Yankees because they built a new stadium. If Ricketts built an awesome new stadium with tons of amenities, and Theo's plan came to fruition, the fans would come.

They may lose a lot of casual wrigley fans, but lets not pretend like the cubs fans aren't one of the best traveling fanbases in baseball. They practically sell out Miller Park and chase field by themselves. Those fans aren't going to see the field, they are going to see the team.

RIght now the Cubs are 20th in road attendance.

I um, don't want to say where the White Sox are.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 3, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)

Yankees fans are Yankees fans, not fans of Yankee Stadium II. They also have those 27 titles to back them up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)

Normally this is going to be skewed downwards because of the low attendance in CLE and KC over time....even Minnesota is "only" around 20th in the MLB attendance now, so, other than DET, all of the AL Central teams should be in the bottom 25-30 for attracting fans in opposing stadiums.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)

when the cubs are competitive, the fans show, just like pretty much all Chicago teams.

Say what you want about all Chicago fans and being meatheaded, if there is a winner on the field the fans are normally there. The Sox fans are a bit more stubborn than the rest, but we have seen what the cell looks like when the playoffs start. When the Cubs had their run with Piniella, they were probably right at the top in road attendance.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)
Yankees fans are Yankees fans, not fans of Yankee Stadium II. They also have those 27 titles to back them up.

And Cubs fans are cubs fans, that's exactly what I am saying. Like i said, they may lose some of the casual wrigley fans, but the team isn't going to fold up because they aren't playing in that s***hole anymore

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 3, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
Say what you want about all Chicago fans and being meatheaded, if there is a winner on the field the fans are normally there. The Sox fans are a bit more stubborn than the rest, but we have seen what the cell looks like when the playoffs start. When the Cubs had their run with Piniella, they were probably right at the top in road attendance.

But at the time, they were spending so much money that they weren't profitable in order to get the team sold.

That's the problem with moving out of Wrigley. Right now, they still have 31,775 a game in Wrigley for a losing team that has been cutting costs for years.

They move out...yes, they improve their ability to make money when the team is winning, but if they drop down to 25k because they lose the stadium nuts...they remove their safety net. The stadium guarantees them ticket sales from people who don't care about baseball even when the team is down.

If they move, of course, it means that they actually need to put a winning team on the field to draw fans. Right now they are solid even if they lose as long as they don't spend too much on payroll.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 3, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)
when the cubs are competitive, the fans show, just like pretty much all Chicago teams.

And Cubs fans are cubs fans, that's exactly what I am saying. Like i said, they may lose some of the casual wrigley fans, but the team isn't going to fold up because they aren't playing in that s***hole anymore

And if they continue not to win like they have been doing, their days of sellout crowds almost daily in the summer will be over. There is a reason Ricketts would rather spend all that money and stay where he's at instead of getting some free land in Rosemont and building his own stadium from scratch, which is something the Cubs would prefer as opposed to the piecemeal plan they have now.

Edited by Dick Allen