Is Ventura a good game manager?

VAfan

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 09:02 PM)
So, it turns out RV didn't call the Rios steal with Dunn batting: http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpos...mp;city=chicago

Well that smacks down some people...

“He was just going; it was just one of those where he did it,” Ventura said. “I'd rather that not happen. If he's going to steal he needs to know he needs to get it. I had nothing to do it.”

Of course, it's almost AS BAD that our best player isn't thinking at all about the situation...

Knowing how Dunn has been going, and Ramirez?

Ventura commented about "cleaning things up," and yet if he's not going to play "kindergarten cop/teacher," what's going to be his response to obvious mental mistakes?

Sure, we don't want to take away Rios' aggressiveness and confidence, but what about all the other base-running mistakes and mental lapses in the last 13 games?

We always make fun of Ozzie's Camp Cora and the few times during the season where they read the riot act and made them come in on offdays or doing extra work in the morning or before games (bunting practice, for example), but this problem extends far beyond Rios' ill-advised decision.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 07:45 AM)
Of course, it's almost AS BAD that our best player isn't thinking at all about the situation...

Ventura commented about "cleaning things up," and yet if he's not going to play "kindergarten cop/teacher," what's going to be his response to obvious mental mistakes?

Sure, we don't want to take away Rios' aggressiveness and confidence, but what about all the other base-running mistakes and mental lapses in the last 13 games?

We always make fun of Ozzie's Camp Cora and the few times during the season where they read the riot act and made them come in on offdays or doing extra work in the morning or before games, but this problem extends far beyond Rios' ill-advised decision.

What's truly bad is Alex f***ing Rios is out best player.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 10:55 PM)
Thank goodness, I was hoping he couldn't be that clueless.

Actually, you were hoping he could be that clueless. If you looked at the facts when it all happened, and I did lay them out for you, you could have easily seen what the truth was, but the ride on the White Sox manager knows less about baseball than a typical 4 year old bandwagon was going by and you couldn't help yourself but hop on.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 09:27 PM)
It's concerning that Ventura won't tinker with the lineup . Right now the hot hitters need to be bunched together .My crazy lineup below at least against righties

DeAza

Alexei

Rios

Konerko

Gillaspie

DanksWise

Keppinger

Dunn

Yes Dunn is last. At this point switch hitting Carlos Zambrano is a better option than Dunn. Maybe Kepp and Dunn can get hot together. Submit your own if you want.

You don't need Kepp at 7th. Kepp still makes contact so 2nd is best for him. Where is Flowers/Gimenez... 9th? I think Dunn should be 9th and bat before Flowers since both will most likely strike out or may hit a home run. You gotta have all the non contact hitters together so you can lift one a PH if the situation calls for it.

If one of the bums can draw a walk though, then you'll have the contact hitters behind them to hopefully drive them in but that's wishful thinking.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 09:10 PM)
Connor was a guy who put up A .777 ops in the minors including .815 at AAA. Before tonight he was sitting at .717. From the looks of it a bit lower average made up by a bit more power would be my guess based on limited info.

A good look at Conor

http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/4/24/4259...conor-gillaspie

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 08:43 AM)

Wow, only Rios, Gillaspie, and Konerkos swing at fewer pitches out of the strike zone thus far than Dunn.

So the theory that Dunn was being too aggressive appears to be wrong as well. He's swinging at strikes, he's just not hitting them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 09:00 AM)
Wow, only Rios, Gillaspie, and Konerkos swing at fewer pitches out of the strike zone thus far than Dunn.

So the theory that Dunn was being too aggressive appears to be wrong as well. He's swinging at strikes, he's just not hitting them.

Which is closer to my theory that teams aren't pitching around Dunn anymore. They don't need to try to trick him any more, so they aren't trying to. They are throwing strikes, and he is missing them.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 07:45 AM)

We always make fun of Ozzie's Camp Cora and the few times during the season where they read the riot act and made them come in on offdays or doing extra work in the morning or before games (bunting practice, for example), but this problem extends far beyond Rios' ill-advised decision.

I think its 100% misleading to characterize Dunn as in a slump or "the way hes going right now". Its not just your post, I hear it from our broadcasters, the media, other posters, etc. Why can't someone just call it like it is, whatever has happened to Dunn has been self inflicted, he did this to himself, along with our non pitch count working believer of a genius hitting coach in Manto. They created this organically. This "new approach" has just traded the hitter and team benefits of walks & deeper counts, for swinging more earlier to create earlier outs. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/adam-dunns-failed-experiment/