Buehrle to face Sox for the first time...

caulfield12

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,7814473.story

Lots of good quotes from Thornton, Konerko, Peavy

http://www.chicagotribune.com/videogallery...-It-will-be-fun

Konerko video

On Monday, when the Blue Jays open up a four-game set against the White Sox, Mark Buehrle goes up against his former team for the first time. He didn’t face the White Sox last season while a member of the Miami Marlins. From 2000-2011, Buehrle called the South Side of Chicago home and he has plenty of familiar faces and good friends in the White Sox lineup.

“It’s different because I’ve never faced them before and I have a lot of friends on the team,” Buehrle said. “At the same time I’m trying to get back on track (he is 0-0 in two starts with a 10.24 ERA) and try to pitch good. Obviously it’s going to be weird seeing some of those guys in the batters box and going up against them but I’ll be trying to get them out just like they’re trying to get hits off me.”

Will he buzz one of them just for old time’s sake, to say hello?

“I can’t say because if I do then I’ll get suspended,” he replied with a smile. “Konerko (Paul, his good friend), watch out though. But it will be a little awkward looking over in the dugout and seeing a lot of friends, 12 years of playing there it will be different.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/04/14/blue-...ace-former-team

Edited by caulfield12

For years I've said one of the added benefits to the Sox keeping Buehrle around is that soft-tossing lefties have traditionally owned Sox hitters and Mark is one of the best ever in that category. I guess tonight we find out for real.

ROGERS CENTRE

MONDAY7 p.m.

LH Mark Buehrle (0-0, 10.24) vs. RH Gavin Floyd (0-2, 5.56)

TUESDAY7 p.m.

RH Josh Johnson (0-1, 11.05) vs. RH Dylan Axelrod (0-1, 5.79)

WEDNESDAY7 p.m.

LH J.A. Happ (2-0, 3.48) vs. LH Jose Quintana (0-0, 4.09)

THURSDAY 7 p.m.

RH R.A. Dickey (1-2, 5.82) vs. LH Chris Sale (1-1, 5.21)

All games on Sportsnet and Sportsnet 590 The FAN

SCOUTING REPORT

Monday’s game will mark Mark Buehrle’s first appearance against the Chicago White Sox, the franchise with which he spent his first 12 major-league seasons and won a World Series in 2005. “I’m sure he’ll make it humorous,” White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko, a longtime friend of Buehrle’s, told MLB.com. “You got to be ready. He might throw an eephus pitch or something like that. He’s not afraid to screw around out there.” ... Brett Lawrie (strained oblique) could return to the Blue Jays at some point this series, and it may be at second base as the Jays continue to juggle their injury-riddled infield. ... Gavin Floyd has owned Jays slugger Jose Bautista over his career (1-for-12), while Adam Lind, Maicer Izturis and Melky Cabrera have all fared well against the right-hander. ... Last season the Jays had a 4-6 record against the White Sox, who finished second behind the Detroit Tigers in the AL Central after leading the division for most of the season. ... Both teams are looking to even their records after slow starts.

thestar.com/sports/bluejays.html

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
Reminds me of the time Chuck Haegar got ejected for 'intentionally' hitting a Yankee batter with his knuckleball.

August 1, 2007

After Posada hit his second homer, Sox pitcher Charlie Haeger, a knuckleballer, hit Cano with a pitch and was immediately ejected by plate umpire Tom Hallion. The White Sox haven't had much luck with this umpiring crew - Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen and Paul Konerko were ejected Tuesday night for arguing balls and strikes.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...2#ixzz2QXykbmlG

This is going to be ugly, folks. I guarantee you he will shut the Sox down, unless he's suddenly lost it for good.

He simply feasts on teams that refuse to take a walk. Soft tossing lefty? This is going to be interesting. He's Bruce Chen with actual talent.

I hope it's 0-0 and we win it off a Blue Jay reliever in the ninth.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
This is going to be ugly, folks. I guarantee you he will shut the Sox down, unless he's suddenly lost it for good.

He simply feasts on teams that refuse to take a walk. Soft tossing lefty? This is going to be interesting. He's Bruce Chen with actual talent.

Guesses...how many times will Hawk say the phrase "He's got a great changeup" tonight? I'm down for 3.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)

Yea, that 10 era really shows a guaranteed shutout