How Much Rope Does Dunn Have?

Jerksticks

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way we can unload this incredibly awful contract on anyone so I really hope all the booing forces him to soul search and do the right thing, but I still would wait a little longer in the hope he can snap out of this funk. Just don't see it happening TBH.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 10:49 PM)
hoping Ventura, Hahn, the chairman, Gene Honda, Stone Pony, somebody says enough and says the Dunn drama is over.

Why compound an awful contract by driving more fans away?

Take some of the buy-out money from Kenny Williams's salary. It's his folly.

That won't even come close to paying for one month of Adam Dunn, if you lump in all three Williams kids, as well (well, I guess I should exclude the SF 49er from discussion).

I'm just going to keep rooting for Adam for now and hope something clicks. I feel like hating him is a bad investment of my emotions since it is unlikely to change anything.

Hate Donnie Veal, instead. You won't have to hate him long before he's sent to AAA or released (don't know if he has options)

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 21, 2013 -> 11:20 PM)
I'm just going to keep rooting for Adam for now and hope something clicks. I feel like hating him is a bad investment of my emotions since it is unlikely to change anything.

Hate Donnie Veal, instead. You won't have to hate him long before he's sent to AAA or released (don't know if he has options)

The problem is that's like hating Keppinger or Gillaspie, Jordan Danks or D-Wise, or even Tyler Flowers.

They're not responsible for this situation.

Dunn is the one earning $15 or $16 million, which is keeping this franchise stuck in neutral while the rest of the teams are moving forward (CLE, MINN, KC).

Without Dunn and John Danks producing positive results, it's going to be nearly impossible to overcome just those two contracts in the short-term.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 05:20 AM)

Hate is such a strong word. I am going to support Adam Dunn and all the other Sox players. Dunn is a proud man and a good power hitter suffering through a real hard time. It is early in the season and to write anyone off is just not realistic. Dunn can turn it around. I would like to see more from him just like anyone else for sure and I hope it clicks for him soon.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 12:40 AM)
The problem is that's like hating Keppinger or Gillaspie, Jordan Danks or D-Wise, or even Tyler Flowers.

Dunn is the one earning $15 or $16 million, which is keeping this franchise stuck in neutral while the rest of the teams are moving forward (CLE, MINN, KC).

Without Dunn and John Danks producing positive results, it's going to be nearly impossible to overcome just those two contracts in the short-term.

How is it Dunn's fault that he makes $15 million/year? Was he supposed to say "Oh. Well that offer is generous but I expect to be bad when on your team and because of it will sign for much less". You can not like Dunn all you want but him making what he makes shouldn't be held against him. He didn't sign himself to that contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
Christopher Kamka ‏@ckamka 10h

Sunday, Adam Dunn broke the tie with Ron Kittle and now has 46 three-strikeout games in a White Sox uniform; most from 1916-current

He's not a Major League Baseball player. He's a f***ing joke.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 12:40 AM)

If 30 million over 2 years is holding this franchise back from playoff contention, JR should sell the team immediately and start selling assets cause he must be bankrupt.

Every contract is a gamble. Both sides have expectations as far as performance. If Dunn improved then the team would have "won" that contract and he loses in relation to the market. If he stayed about the same, meh, it was probably fair. In this case, he won and the team lost.

If there was a reason for him suddenly doing so poorly that he knew about, then it was borderline fraud. Usually veterans get the big contract because they are more stable. But he's making Billy Botch seem like a nice memory.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
I'd bat him eighth and be done with it the rest of the year. I think this is another "unwritten rule" of baseball, however. You can't embarrass the big slugger who traditionally hits fourth or fifth.

So you'd leave him 8th if he hit .300 with 50 homers the rest of the year?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
I'd bat him eighth and be done with it the rest of the year. I think this is another "unwritten rule" of baseball, however. You can't embarrass the big slugger who traditionally hits fourth or fifth.

I would bat him 7th or 8th until he showed he was worthy of moving back up in the order. He has hit a few balls well, something he did with even less frequency in 2011. If 2011 didn't happen, there is no way anyone would think he could possibly be this bad for an entire season. The Sox should keep playing him because their other options are no better. Just move him down and if he starts hitting, move him back.