How Much Rope Does Dunn Have?

Jerksticks

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
I would bat him 7th or 8th until he showed he was worthy of moving back up in the order. He has hit a few balls well, something he did with even less frequency in 2011. If 2011 didn't happen, there is no way anyone would think he could possibly be this bad for an entire season. The Sox should keep playing him because their other options are no better. Just move him down and if he starts hitting, move him back.

Carlos Zambrano might be a better option than Dunn at this point. Hit Dunn 9th where a pitcher should bat.

Seriously, how bad does he have to get before the team chokes down the contract? He truly may be through as a MLB player. No hyperbole. Pick a price point, but at the MLB min, he's sitting at home watching games on the TV. I'm guessing anything short of $2,00,000 and he's done not #5 Dunn

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
Christopher Kamka ‏@ckamka 10h

Sunday, Adam Dunn broke the tie with Ron Kittle and now has 46 three-strikeout games in a White Sox uniform; most from 1916-current

And just think... Kittle played 8 seasons with the Sox. Dunn has tied him in 2 1/2!

I'll admit, I loved the Dunn signing at the time - a guy who averages 40+ HR from the left side and 100 BB's should have been a huge boost to the team. I didn't care about the 200 K's. I gave him a break from that awful first year, and was very content with what he did last year, but this has got to stop now. Drop him in the order already. The HR's aren't there. The BB's aren't there. The Sox need to at least be discussing this at some level. They don't have to flat out release him at this very moment, but if he doesn't turn it around he really does not belong on this team at the end of the year. Call me crazy, but I'd rather see what some like like Seth Loman's got. He can't do worse than Dunn. Hell, have a rotating DH for all I care with Keppinger, Gillaspie, and Beckham. Dunn is making Dye look good during that post All-Star Break collapse back in 2009.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 10:19 PM)
I'd be really interested in seeing how he would perform in a Charlotte assignment. We really don't have anyone to replace him though.

Anybody that can hit .250+ is fine with me. Someone who actually puts the ball in play. Might not kill as many rallys.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 04:02 AM)
Anybody that can hit .250+ is fine with me. Someone who actually puts the ball in play. Might not kill as many rallys.

He should just try to hit singles to the left side until it gets warm in June. Just completely rework his stance to make contact and dribble hits the other way. Any time a guy is hitting just north of .100, that's just of no use to a baseball team.

How many times in the history of baseball has a slugging, low contact/high K DH type totally changed his approach as everyone is suggesting and become Wade Boggs/Tony Gwynn/Ichiro?

We've seen pitchers adjust to pitching without their fastballs later in their careers or after injuries, but Adam Dunn bunting and going to the opposite field or trying to hit the ball on the ground?

Never will that happen in a million years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 12:22 AM)
How many times in the history of baseball has a slugging, low contact/high K DH type totally changed his approach as everyone is suggesting and become Wade Boggs/Tony Gwynn/Ichiro?

We've seen pitchers adjust to pitching without their fastballs later in their careers or after injuries, but Adam Dunn bunting and going to the opposite field or trying to hit the ball on the ground?

Dunn has never had more than 9 singles in any month he has been a White Sox. He has 3 so far this month.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 12:22 AM)

The double that Reynolds hit yesterday was a half swing, opposite field dunk shot on a two strike count. It can be selectively done.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 10:19 PM)
I'd be really interested in seeing how he would perform in a Charlotte assignment. We really don't have anyone to replace him though.

The Sox cannot option Dunn to the minors. Any player with 5 years experience can only be optioned with their consent. I would guess there is very little chance Dunn would approve a minor league assignment.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 06:58 AM)
If Hahn doesn't have the ovaries to get rid of Dunn, at least put him on the DL for 2-3 weeks and see what happens.

There is really no point in getting rid of him right now. You're going to pay him anyways so you might as well keep him and see if he can come out of his funk. The Sox aren't going to win anything without a productive Dunn in the lineup. Not to mention the fact that getting rid of Dunn would not be a Hahn decision. The decision to eat $25 million+ has to come from higher up than the GM.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)
Seriously, how bad does he have to get before the team chokes down the contract? He truly may be through as a MLB player. No hyperbole. Pick a price point, but at the MLB min, he's sitting at home watching games on the TV. I'm guessing anything short of $2,00,000 and he's done not #5 Dunn

It's already sunken cost. Like it or not, the contract is gonna hamper your payroll. If he can't contribute, there's no reason anymore to let him bring your team down.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 09:25 AM)
I've seen compelling arguments that part of Dunn's problem this year is hitting the ball on the ground too much...I wouldn't encourage it.

I'm getting more convinced that his problem is he's going after pitches that are up in the strike zone and not timing them well.

Last year he put the ball in play on 43% of at bats, this year he's putting it in play on 51% of at bats, and right now his percentage of ground ball outs is the highest of his career, so you're probably on to something as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 07:52 AM)
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales 8h

First time Adam Dunn hasn't struck out in a game since April 12 at Cleveland

Last year he had some amazing strikeout every game streak going. He is the DiMaggio of strike out kings. Not only can he set standards by striking out multiple times per game, he can strike out in more consecutive games than just about anyone. He was even able to keep his streak alive last year with a couple of pinch hit appearances.

Christopher Kamka ‏@ckamka 8h

Lost in the shuffle: Adam Dunn recorded his first "Dunn" of the season (BB, HR, K in same game).

Adam Dunn ties Harmon Killebrew tonight for 5th (from 1916-current) on the "Dunn" list with 111. Next: Ruth/Bonds tied for 3rd with 125.

It appears to me that Dunn is now standing further away from the plate.

The homer he hit last night was on the outside, high corner of the plate, and he just took it the other way.

That is exactly what I've been hoping he would do. If he stays in that spot in the box, inside pitches will miss the strike zone. If he's patient, he'll get his walks, and then when they throw it over the plate, he can reach out, arms extended, and elevate the ball to the left field seats, or take the base hits they're giving him on the vacant left side of the infield.

I love it.