How Much Rope Does Dunn Have?

Jerksticks

How long does he have to struggle like this before Robin moves him way down in the lineup?

How much say does the Front Office have in the matter, due to say contract issues?

Obviously the front office has way smarter people applied to this than us, but let's get it all out on the table.

Do we really have to watch him sink the ship for another 2 years? If we replace him with a feared hitter we could be talking playoffs; it's that simple to me. Why isn't he held accountable for underproducing? Why is his psyche too fragile to be moved down? If he can't make contact, he can't hit fourth. f*** him. We need another feared hitter to team with Paulie. Playoffs c'mon lets go!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 09:09 PM)
How long does he have to struggle like this before Robin moves him way down in the lineup?

How much say does the Front Office have in the matter, due to say contract issues?

Obviously the front office has way smarter people applied to this than us, but let's get it all out on the table.

Do we really have to watch him sink the ship for another 2 years? If we replace him with a feared hitter we could be talking playoffs; it's that simple to me. Why isn't he held accountable for underproducing? Why is his psyche too fragile to be moved down? If he can't make contact, he can't hit fourth. f*** him. We need another feared hitter to team with Paulie. Playoffs c'mon lets go!

The FO has full control & Robin will do whatever they tell him to do. Which means Robin will play Dunn & bat him high so long as that is what the FO wants.

Personally, as long as more talent continues to filter in and we create that extended playoff window we're supposedly building for, then I don't care as much about the ship sinking as the personnel on it. Dunn's contract is what it is & if we need to eat it then so be it. And if Paulie isn't healthy enough to play 1B everyday anymore then that is even more the reason to eat the contract & send him packing, because we need to try someone else at 1B in the meantime with an eye toward the future, whether that is Dayan or someone else from outside the organization. Dunn just isn't a factor whether we're good or not, and if we're going to sink then let's sink with someone else playing 1B, LF, and with someone else benefitting from those ABs.

Also I think it's not a psyche thing re: Dunn as much as it is a lack of left-handedness and "respect" of veteran status from the organization. It's like when you get a big flood and everything is underwater, well, you can sit there and talk about how bad the sewer stinks & be all down about it while you wait for the water to recede or you can pretend you're in the Bahamas & put on your trunks & go swimming. Robin is the type to swim in s*** & pretend its something else while everyone else just complains about it, but that's because he's an optimist, and he knows that the s*** is going to be there whether you feel like swimming or not.

But does he HAVE to be in the heart of the order because of his contract? Yes we are stuck with him but why does he have to bat between Rios and PK? I'm not knee-jerkin 15 games in. This is based on 1000 AB of no contact and my opinion that 1000 more are coming. Can't he bat 8th before Flowers?

It's pretty sad when most of us are hoping if he doesn't hit again like 2012 that he retires from shame and embarrassment.

What a crappy situation, for everyone involved.

That said, giving Dan Johnson those AB's (or fill in any random LH hitter) wasn't going to be and isn't the long-term solution, either.

And it's almost beyond the point where you believe they could do anything BUT eat his contract...at least with Rios, that has turned around. But we have two contracts (Danks/Dunn) currently taking up $25-30 million in payroll with negative or negligible value.

I just can't imagine giving those DH ab's to the likes of Wise or Jordan Danks. Even Gillaspie, with how he's been hitting...assuming someone else was playing 3B.

He's got a lot more than a dozen or so games of rope. As he should.

Let's see how he's doing in May, maybe Memorial Day, maybe even June. If he's still hitting well below .200 (which I doubt he will be), and no longer drawing a lot of walks either, then it becomes time to make adjustments. What do you expect to do in the meantime anyway? Do you think Seth Loman would be likely to do better right away? Possible, but improbable.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 06:36 PM)
Dunn has about $30 million worth of rope remaining, but he'll probably wind up with very similar numbers to last year.

I am hoping that is true. I was hoping for a bit of an improved BA though with more hits to left to avoid the shift esp. with people on base. I made a similar post last night on the game thread and was accused of being drunk when I pointed out Dunn was hitting like .120. I am not giving up on Adam Dunn but he has to start turning things around. It is early though

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
He's got a lot more than a dozen or so games of rope. As he should.

Let's see how he's doing in May, maybe Memorial Day, maybe even June. If he's still hitting well below .200 (which I doubt he will be), and no longer drawing a lot of walks either, then it becomes time to make adjustments. What do you expect to do in the meantime anyway? Do you think Seth Loman would be likely to do better right away? Possible, but improbable.

I agree, but I still think you move him down to the 5th spot regardless.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
I agree, but I still think you move him down to the 5th spot regardless.

Well sure, little tweaks are one thing. Tinkering is part of managing, trying to prompt change that way. Just saying you don't bench the guy or bat him 9th any time soon.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 08:50 PM)
While there's a strange side of me that's oddly enjoying just how bad he is, I have to believe he'll be much better as the season goes on. If he's still in a funk come July, you put him on the bench.

Explain yourself? It is comical. But I'm not enjoying this at all. I miss Reds Dunn soooooooooooooo badly.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 09:10 PM)
You would have never signed him, I remember you hating him 8 years ago.

I've also felt OBP is overrated if you can't hit. That said...I never saw this coming and I actually thought he was a decent fit at the time they signed him. They needed an impact bat with pop from the left side.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 04:13 AM)
I've also felt OBP is overrated if you can't hit. That said...I never saw this coming and I actually thought he was a decent fit at the time they signed him. They needed an impact bat with pop from the left side.

Agreed, I liked the signing as it made perfect sense.