Early ChiSox Draft Ideas

ChiSoxJon

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ May 12, 2013 -> 07:51 AM)
Absolutely, most exciting draft pick I could remember in years, I remember he was the NCAA's MOP in baseball and then I saw him a few times with Kanny. That was pre-injury when he was flying.

Mitchell was well received, but Sale was absolutely the most exciting pick the Sox have made since I've followed the draft. Turned out pretty well, too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)
It didn't stop us from drafting Beck.

In the third round though.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 12, 2013 -> 05:21 PM)
Mitchell was well received, but Sale was absolutely the most exciting pick the Sox have made since I've followed the draft. Turned out pretty well, too.

In the third round though.

2nd round, teams 3rd pick.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2013 -> 05:44 PM)
2nd round, teams 3rd pick.

LOL you bring up an irrelevant point, but still post pad by correcting the round.

The point remains you don't take a first round pick that dropped velocity. Beck isn't working out all that well right now anyway. He's not striking anyone out to think his success will project well in the higher levels.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 12, 2013 -> 08:23 PM)
LOL you bring up an irrelevant point, but still post pad by correcting the round.

The point remains you don't take a first round pick that dropped velocity. Beck isn't working out all that well right now anyway. He's not striking anyone out to think his success will project well in the higher levels.

Beck had one bad outing, his ERA is 2.25, has a WHIP of 1.20, and batters are batting .219 against him.

I actually think I'd be pretty happy with Judge. I'd rather see a guy that's a purer hitter at that age, game power is an easier thing to find than a hit tool, and the guy is so big that there's no question he has the strength.

Yeah, he's another low floor OF, but he's a completely different type of low floor OF that we've been drafting.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 13, 2013 -> 12:39 PM)
Agreed. I feel whoever is behind that pitching factory is due for a promotion. Or maybe it is because that is only school in the South with decent academics.

Ummm....

Duke, Emory, Georgia Tech, UNC, UT-Austin, Rice, UVA, University of Florida isn't bad at all.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)
Sickels has us taking an outfielder:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/5/16/4...-sickels-may-16

That's just dumb, IMO.

We'd be a lot better off having our scouts looking for the next Carlos Quentin in AA/AAA or stuck behind a veteran or coming back from injuries than HOPING and PRAYING we can develop one 3-4 years down the line.

Imagine how much better our line-up would have been with Choo, DeAza and Rios in the OF and Dunn/Viciedo/Konerko all splitting time at DH/1B and Dayan also getting some starts in the OF.

Of course, nobody knew how bad Konerko would struggle.....well, not THIS bad....and we can't be 100% sure Choo would be doing the exact same thing in the AL Central as in the NL Central. Probably not.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
Keith Law has a mock draft up also, but I'm not an ESPN insider.

Keith Law has the Sox taking Jacksonville RHP Chris Anderson. 6'4 225 lbs. Law mentions that he has also heard the Sox linked to Gonzaga LHP Marco Gonzales but mentions that it seems too early to take him.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 16, 2013 -> 05:16 PM)
Keith Law has the Sox taking Jacksonville RHP Chris Anderson. 6'4 225 lbs. Law mentions that he has also heard the Sox linked to Gonzaga LHP Marco Gonzales but mentions that it seems too early to take him.

Anderson seems like a solid pick. Fastball up to 95mph with 3 above average pitches supposedly. He's pitched really well as the season has gone on, including a few 13 strikeout games. It's too bad he didn't get to face FSU or Florida when Jacksonville played them.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
Anderson seems like a solid pick. Fastball up to 95mph with 3 above average pitches supposedly. He's pitched really well as the season has gone on, including a few 13 strikeout games. It's too bad he didn't get to face FSU or Florida when Jacksonville played them.

I like Anderson as well. I'm also a fan of Marco Gonzales but he might be a bit of a reach at 17.

Law's Report of Chris Anderson: http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/playe.../chris-anderson?

Anderson came out of the chute strong this year, hitting 95 frequently and showing a plus slider that made him look like a certain top-15 pick. However, heavy usage by Jacksonville began to wear him down in early April and he couldn't maintain his stuff deep into the spring.

He was 90-95 earlier in the year and 89-93 later, showing below-average command and allowing more hard contact as the season went on. His 82-85 slider remained sharp, breaking hard down and away from right-handed hitters, with Anderson showing enough control of it to generate chase swings. His changeup is solid-average at 81-84 with a little tailing action, and he has a curveball that he should probably junk when he gets to pro ball.

He's a big, physical kid, with strong legs and a good delivery that makes some use of his legs, including a long stride and early pronation of the pitching arm. He's a little young for the class, turning 21 two weeks after the signing deadline in July.

I happened to see one of his worst starts, where he showed a lack of poise on the mound as well, which is hard for me to erase from my mind but could have been a one-time event. I prefer several other college right-handers but the potential for two plus pitches could get him into the middle of the first round.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)
Sickels has us taking an outfielder:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/5/16/4...-sickels-may-16

The problem with Sickels is he's just guessing from reading scouting reports. Law's is based on what his extensive set of contacts are telling him about what they've heard the teams talking about. I'm not saying Sickels is a bad talent evaluator or whatever, but Law's mcok seems way more reliable.

I mean come on, this is what Sickels says about the Sox pick:

The White Sox like tools, power, and outfielders, so Erwin seems logical to me.

The Sox are far from loaded in the OF. By the time whomever is drafted is ready to contribute none of the current OF will be there, and while some of the upper level guys have shown some flashes, there is no sure thing in the system. I also think that drafting for need is a good way to have a terrible farm system. Its not like you are going to plug a guy into your lineup next week or even next season to shore things up. Drafting value is the most important thing, if you have a surplus of talented players at a position you can always trade them to fill needs on the ML roster.

Hunter Harvey is intriguing for a couple of reasons. One he has a top of the rotation upside already throwing in the mid-90's with a tough CB to go along with it. The other piece is that he is thought to be very signable, which if the Sox can work out a deal with him, will allow them to be more aggressive in the later rounds as the Blue Jays and Astros were last year.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
It seems like a lot of analysts aren't sure what to expect from the Sox this year due to Hahn being "in charge".

That and the fact that they're picking #17. It's just so dependent on what's available. One or two reaches early changes everything.