Early ChiSox Draft Ideas

ChiSoxJon

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe Stanek would fall to the Sox at #17. Very concerned with Austin Wilson after watching him play and move around the field-his body scares me. Not the most nimble/flexible player. Very stiff in his mechanics at the plate and field. Many people talk about his athletic ability- I don't see it as a big plus for him. Safest pick is Alex Gonzalez. Would be very happy if he falls to the Sox at #17, but a lot people reporting Arizona Diamondbacks will nab at #15. Aaron Judge is a scary thought after watching our organization handle and develop are OF's in the minors over the past couple years.

Edited by PolishPrince34

6/2 Mock Draft

1. Houston Astros - Gray

2. Chicago Cubs - Appel

3. Colorado Rockies - Bryant

4. Minnesota Twins - Stewart

5. Cleveland Indians - Moran

6. Miami Marlins - Peterson

7. Boston Red Sox - Frazier

8. Kansas City Royals - Stanek

9. Pittsburgh Pirates (M. Appel - unsigned) - McGuire

10. Toronto Blue Jays - Shipley

11. New York Mets - Smith

12. Seattle Mariners - Meadows

13. San Diego Padres - Ball

14. Pittsburgh Pirates - Renfroe

15. Arizona Diamondbacks - Crawford

16. Philadelphia Phillies - Clarkin

17. Chicago White Sox - Alex Gonzalez

18. Los Angeles Dodgers - Denney

19. St. Louis Cardinals - Manaea

20. Detroit Tigers - Judge

21. Tampa Bay Rays - Ciuffo

22. Baltimore Orioles - Gonzales

23. Texas Rangers - McKinney

24. Oakland Athletics - Ziomek

25. San Francisco Giants - Wilson

26. New York Yankees - Kaminsky

27. Cincinnati Reds - Serrano

28. St. Louis Cardinals (K. Lohse) - Anderson

29. Tampa Bay Rays (B.J. Upton) - Harvey

30. Texas Rangers (J. Hamilton) - Sandberg

31. Atlanta Braves (M. Bourn) - Demeritte

32. New York Yankees (N. Swisher) - Bickford

33. New York Yankees (R. Soriano) - Jagielo

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jun 1, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
After hearing my second Jim Callis interview today on 670 The Score, I'm very confident Chicago will take Alex Gonzalez from Oral Roberts at 17. Seems like a bit of a reach to me.

Seems like it would have been a reach a few months ago but that he has been flying up the boards lately. I actually think he'll get picked before 17.

Just a thought - If Chicago takes a college pitcher (Gonzalez, Stanek), they will likely place them in Great Falls for a few games and possibly move them up to Winston-Salem by skipping Kannapolis like most of their early selected college pitchers of the past (Lumsden, Broadway, McCulloch, Poreda, Sale). If they take a college outfielder (Wilson, Judge, Ervin) they will likely report straight to Kanny after they sign.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 05:06 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chicago-white...utm_source=t.co

Just came across this article on Yahoo and low-and-behold, one of SoxTalk's own wrote it. Nice work, Jake.

Ha -- that's right! I think we're on more or less the same page, as far as likely targets goes. I was a bit strapped for word length because of course the potential players are endless. I really think we're going with a college pitcher, but you can't be surprised if he takes a guy like Wilson from Stanford. I was fairly surprised that we took Hawkins last year, but of course it was also not surprising. I personally really liked Marcus Stroman.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 11:38 PM)
I don't like any of the OFers they're considering.

I'm not enamored either. Wilson from Stanford is probably the best of them, but I don't like him compared to the pitchers available.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
Ha -- that's right! I think we're on more or less the same page, as far as likely targets goes. I was a bit strapped for word length because of course the potential players are endless. I really think we're going with a college pitcher, but you can't be surprised if he takes a guy like Wilson from Stanford. I was fairly surprised that we took Hawkins last year, but of course it was also not surprising. I personally really liked Marcus Stroman.

And Stroman has been terrible so far this year...he actually makes Hawkins look decent, in comparison.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 05:08 AM)
I'm not enamored either. Wilson from Stanford is probably the best of them, but I don't like him compared to the pitchers available.

The video the MLB Network showed of Wilson last night made him look awful. Phillip Ervin is the best of the outfielders they're considering, in my opinion.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 08:27 AM)
The video the MLB Network showed of Wilson last night made him look awful. Phillip Ervin is the best of the outfielders they're considering, in my opinion.

I watched that and thought the same. They better not take him.

Being that I don't follow amateur baseball, I can only go by what they were saying last night. A couple of the high school catchers look interesting, and you can tell John Hart is really high on Alex Gonzalez, the big RHP.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 08:27 AM)

I will third that. Him and Judge both look like they need their swings completely re-built.

Also, it was clear Harold Reynolds had no idea what was going on, lol. Clearly didn't know anything about any of the players. His "comps" were hilarious. "When I see Austin Wilson, I'm seeing some Billy Butler!"

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
Editors from Baseball America just did their mock draft. Have the Sox picking HS catcher NICK CIUFFO. Definitely do not see the White Sox picking him. After what Lauman had to say about being happy with the organizational depth in the minors.

The panel last night comped Ciuffo to Pierzynski...including the personality.

Keith Law has his Mock Draft 3.0 up on espn.com

He has White Sox taking JUCO SS Tim Anderson.

Tim AndersonPOS: SSB/T: R/RHT: 6-1WT: 180School: East Central CC

Analysis: The team that spent a 2003 first-round pick on Brian Anderson is also on Chris Anderson, Louie Anderson, Laurie Anderson, and Aaron Judge.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
Editors from Baseball America just did their mock draft. Have the Sox picking HS catcher NICK CIUFFO. Definitely do not see the White Sox picking him. After what Lauman had to say about being happy with the organizational depth in the minors.

Yeah, I also think MLB Network is the only organization that thinks the catchers are strong this year. Everything I've read has been the opposite.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
Keith Law has his Mock Draft 3.0 up on espn.com

He has White Sox taking JUCO SS Tim Anderson.

Tim AndersonPOS: SSB/T: R/RHT: 6-1WT: 180School: East Central CC

Analysis: The team that spent a 2003 first-round pick on Brian Anderson is also on Chris Anderson, Louie Anderson, Laurie Anderson, and Aaron Judge.

Both Tim Anderson and Judge are White Soxy picks. Athletic toolsy dudes that could have pretty high ceilings if those tools are turned into skills. One a premium speed guy, another that could have significant power. I'm still kind of on the college pitching train this year. There is pretty good depth there, and it's one area the White Sox actually seem to be adequate at developing. I like Alex Gonzalez and Stanek personally. Chris Anderson would be okay too.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 10:30 AM)
No HS catchers in the first round, please.

They're a gamble, that's for sure.

But since Laumann said he doubts there will be a pitcher left at 17 better than Chris Beck or Erik Johnson, I wouldn't mind a gamble pick on high school catcher or pitcher.

Actually, as long as it isn't the Stanford guy, I'm not going to think one way or the other about this first round pick.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
They're a gamble, that's for sure.

But since Laumann said he doubts there will be a pitcher left at 17 better than Chris Beck or Erik Johnson, I wouldn't mind a gamble pick on high school catcher or pitcher.

Actually, as long as it isn't the Stanford guy, I'm not going to think one way or the other about this first round pick.

I'm mostly hoping that someone just falls into the Sox lap that shouldn't be there. Similar to what happened with Sale and Hawkins. I'd really love Trey Ball to have an inexplicable fall personally. Peterson, Stanek, Smith, or Renfroe are also players I'm sure the Sox would jump all over if they fall for some reason.