Game Thread 4/24: CLE @ SOX

cabiness42

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
Gillaspie must have a different hitting coach than anyone else on this team. His approach is miles better.

Hitting coaches don't matter. There was a recent narrative coming out of ATL about how Greg Walker massively has helped Justin Upton. And I believe that just as much as I believed the people here that demonized GW when he was here as a Sox.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
Hitting coaches don't matter. There was a recent narrative coming out of ATL about how Greg Walker massively has helped Justin Upton. And I believe that just as much as I believed the people here that demonized GW when he was here as a Sox.

You can't tell me I'm wrong, I can't tell you that you're wrong. It's too hard to know what affect (if any) they have.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)

Yeah the hitting coach is essentially employed to be a fall guy for managers

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)

I agree to an extent. I think in general they don't matter all that much, but to certain players, finding the right one that they mesh with is really important. Kind of like how the only guy that could get through to the Big Hurt was Walt Hriniak. Maybe Greg Walker is Justin Upton's "Walt Hriniak".

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
I agree to an extent. I think in general they don't matter all that much, but to certain players, finding the right one that they mesh with is really important. Kind of like how the only guy that could get through to the Big Hurt was Walt Hriniak. Maybe Greg Walker is Justin Upton's "Walt Hriniak".

Upton was a good player way before he met Greg Walker.

Probably, a hitting coach operates like a therapist. When a player is stuck, the coach can suggest some different things, run some drills, and offer an outside opinion, but ultimately the player's success depends on the player's ability to get through it with some encouragement.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
Upton was a good player way before he met Greg Walker.

Upton was good, but not other-wordly like he's been this year. I was speaking more in general terms than actually saying Greg Walker is the reason for the season he is having.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
Upton was good, but not other-wordly like he's been this year. I was speaking more in general terms than actually saying Greg Walker is the reason for the season he is having.

I think playing with his brother has made 100% the difference in his game.