Game Thread 4/24: CLE @ SOX

cabiness42

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 09:49 AM)
Better keep batting Done 4th.

I've always been a defender of him in the 3 hole, but now that Manto/Baines have convinced Dunn to swing at bad pitches, I'd rather have him batting 9th than anything.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 10:07 AM)
I've always been a defender of him in the 3 hole, but now that Manto/Baines have convinced Dunn to swing at bad pitches, I'd rather have him batting 9th than anything.

The advanced data suggests he's not swinging at many bad pitches, which might be even more troubling.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
The advanced data suggests he's not swinging at many bad pitches, which might be even more troubling.

Well, I should be more specific. By "bad pitches" I don't mean balls vs. strikes, but rather including breaking balls that (at least) start out in the zone as opposed to exclusively fastballs in the zone. This philosophy strikes me as intuitively dumb, considering that pitchers throw breaking balls in the zone for the sole purpose of tricking hitters into swinging at them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
Going along with that, Dunn's big problem is his strike zone contact percentage is awful.

I actually thought it would be lower. The O-contact is what jumps out the most -- and that's the difference, I guess, between striking out and fouling pitches off to stay alive.

Of course, we're looking at this in context of a team full of undisciplined hackers. Look at Alexei and Dayan's O-Swings. Disgusting.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
Well, I should be more specific. By "bad pitches" I don't mean balls vs. strikes, but rather including breaking balls that (at least) start out in the zone as opposed to exclusively fastballs in the zone. This philosophy strikes me as intuitively dumb, considering that pitchers throw breaking balls in the zone for the sole purpose of tricking hitters into swinging at them.

Dunn is getting blown away by fastballs in the zone. He's really not getting killed swinging at breaking pitches. Hopefully it is correctable to the point where he can be useful.

What is funny to me is some of the same people who think Dunn should bat 9th or not play or think Ventura is stupid for batting him 4th, are some of the same people who always tried to make a case for him batting 3rd last year when he hit .191 the last 4 months. I think when some were giving out "grades" at the All Star break last year, Dunn was hitting .205 and someone graded him a B,and he was ripped to shreads saying Dunn deserved an A. Keep in mind, Adam is only 2 homers off his April total of last year.

The guy certainly is no all star, but he cannot be as bad as he's been. He is somewhere in between. For those of us that want the White Sox to win, he is going to have to produce, there really is nothing else. For those who want to rebuild and want the White Sox to lose, instead of complaining when he strikes out 3 times and goes 0 fer, you should be doing cartwheels.