Wizards' Jason Collins

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
I don't think it's a matter of whether or not some kind of assault would occur. If you were (uninvited) in a room full of naked women, most, if not all of the women would feel violated to some degree that you were getting some enjoyment out of seeing them naked. As straight men, we understand that, and somehow that understanding translates to straight men feeling violated that gay men might be getting some enjoyment out of seeing us naked. I think it's dumb, but I understand where that connection comes from.

Ok, i admit my analogy probably wasnt the best.

I'd probably be best for me to shutup for a while. I'm not having a good thought articulation day. lol

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think whether anyone is gay or not, there is an expectation that we don't just stare at each other in a group shower. You can shower together without violating each other, whether the motivation for looking is sexual, curiosity, or whatever else.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
I think whether anyone is gay or not, there is an expectation that we don't just stare at each other in a group shower. You can shower together without violating each other, whether the motivation for looking is sexual, curiosity, or whatever else.

I agree with this.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
You've gotta be s***ting me. I saw that he seemed unenthusiastic reporting earlier, making it sound okay that some guys would be uncomfortable in the shower.

A dude I was in the Army with described being in the shower with guys to me: "It's even more awkward for me than I think it is for them, I'm trying to get out of there before I get a hard-on"

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 03:25 PM)
Ok, i admit my analogy probably wasnt the best.

I'd probably be best for me to shutup for a while. I'm not having a good thought articulation day. lol

Your fear of being seen as anti-gay shows how f***ed up this country is. Clearly homophobia is rampant if you feel compelled to not express your thoughts on this story.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
Your fear of being seen as anti-gay shows how f***ed up this country is. Clearly homophobia is rampant if you feel compelled to not express your thoughts on this story.

It's more that i dont want to be accidentally seen as someone I am not. I am not a very articulate person. Not just with regards to this, but other conversations as well. It's more of a fear of accidentally being mislabeled.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

I don't really see a problem with what he said. That's his belief, so whatever. I guess we can go down the line of whether or not he should be saying that as a reporter for ESPN, but these guys get into all sorts of topics that aren't sports related, so i'm not sure why he can't speak his mind on a sports-related topic.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 05:22 PM)
I don't really see a problem with what he said. That's his belief, so whatever. I guess we can go down the line of whether or not he should be saying that as a reporter for ESPN, but these guys get into all sorts of topics that aren't sports related, so i'm not sure why he can't speak his mind on a sports-related topic.

The only really relevant issue, aside from the general way it makes his employer look...is whether making this kind of statement impacts his ability to cover the league. Frankly, it might; i wouldn't be giving him an interview or talking to him off the record any time soon if I had info to leak.

Good for Jason Collins. I feel bad for people who feel like they have to hide an important part of themselves. You only have X amount of years to live, dont waste 1/3 of it by living as someone you really arent.

Now will this slow down the gay athlete train the media has been driving? Every other day there is some sort of media outlet begging an athlete to come out. I dont want to see anyone live their life as a "lie" but when youre ready then come out. If not then come out when/if youre ready, not because the media keeps pushing it. I wonder if the media will start pushing for a younger, more prominent athlete to come out now.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 05:22 PM)

I agree. That is his belief. I hardly see that as a homophobic stance.

I dont care for the NBA but from what I've seen of Broussard, it seems like most consider him a joke. But if he gets fired or in trouble for that then this country is even worse off than I thought. I'm a non believer but it seems like you cant even be religious these days without catching major flack for it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
The only really relevant issue, aside from the general way it makes his employer look...is whether making this kind of statement impacts his ability to cover the league. Frankly, it might; i wouldn't be giving him an interview or talking to him off the record any time soon if I had info to leak.

You're discriminating against him because of his religious beliefs?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 06:06 PM)
You're discriminating against him because of his religious beliefs?

I'd like to think of it as discriminating against him for lecturing others based on his religious beliefs, but whatever works. I don't have to eat at Chick Fil A, I don't have to leak my info to Chris Broussard.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
I'd like to think of it as discriminating against him for lecturing others based on his religious beliefs, but whatever works. I don't have to eat at Chick Fil A, I don't have to leak my info to Chris Broussard.

With all of the bullying of kids these days and high suicide rates, the last thing we need is this douche on TV hammering the point that being gay is wrong/bad.

If Broussard wants to call people out for living in sin, can't he call out about 95% of the NBA? I don't understand why someone has to hide or be ashamed of being gay. It is what they are. Some guys like big boobs, some guys like blondes, some guys like guys.

Collins isn't a very significant player, and Broussard would never really have to talk to him. If it were a really big name, he would have said nothing today.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)
If Broussard wants to call people out for living in sin, can't he call out about 95% of the NBA? I don't understand why someone has to hide or be ashamed of being gay. It is what they are. Some guys like big boobs, some guys like blondes, some guys like guys.

Collins isn't a very significant player, and Broussard would never really have to talk to him. If it were a really big name, he would have said nothing today.

Because dude, Kobe scored 81. That's like a get out of sin free card.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 05:57 PM)

He did do that. Except most NBA players don't announce that they are having premarital sex. But he did say that those who have premarital sex are similarly living in sin.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 09:40 PM)
He did do that. Except most NBA players don't announce that they are having premarital sex. But he did say that those who have premarital sex are similarly living in sin.

But he's happy to make himself rich talking about those players too.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 06:40 PM)

I don't recall his tirade of Wilt Chamberlain let alone the plethora of players who fathered multiple children without ever getting married. Sure he made a passing comment today but he never felt that he had to proactively comment on their un-Christian ways like he did with his anti-homosexuality stance.

EDIT: f*** that guy. I hope he gets fired and struggles to land work.

Edited by BigSqwert

FWIW, the comment was made in context of Collins supposedly being a devout Christian. I'm still happy for him to lose his job, but I don't see him as the worst guy ever. Pretty s***ty analyst in general, though.

ESPN released the following statement about Chris Broussard's comments on OTL earlier today: "We regret that a respectful discussion of personal viewpoints became a distraction from today’s news. ESPN is fully committed to diversity and welcomes Jason Collins’ announcement."

I like how espn pretends like they didnt know what Broussard was going to say.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 10:37 PM)
ESPN released the following statement about Chris Broussard's comments on OTL earlier today: "We regret that a respectful discussion of personal viewpoints became a distraction from today’s news. ESPN is fully committed to diversity and welcomes Jason Collins’ announcement."

I like how espn pretends like they didnt know what Broussard was going to say.

This makes it sound like he won't be fired.

Damn.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 29, 2013 -> 10:42 PM)
This makes it sound like he won't be fired.

Damn.

No way he gets fired. This is classic ESPN "First Take"-type 'extreme viewpoint vs rational man' arguments. Espn knew what he was gonna say when he went out there.