KC vs Sox game thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 6, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)
Keppinger can't be this bad. I wasn't very familiar with him, but words like "scrappy" were used to describe him. He's seems very lackadaisical to me. He was Hahn's big move, and bust is the only word to describe him at this point.

He's the type of guy that can get overexposed if he has to play every day. No shock, but Tampa used him perfectly last season and he ended up also having a career year. To me, he looks incredibly weak all around. He's not driving anything at the plate, as it doesn't seem like he's getting his legs into his swing at all. Thing is, a lot of teams were interested in him this offseason.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 6, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
Alex Gordon could've been had pretty easily a few years ago, right? Before they moved him to left?

I don't think so. They screwed around with him, but supposedly he wasn't to be had cheaply.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 6, 2013 -> 07:54 PM)
Depends how many players sox trade off too as well as prospects/young players they play. But Carlos Rodon would not be a bad consolation prize.

I agree, Rodon is a stud. However, it still seems hard to imagine the Sox being worse than the Astros and Marlins, regardless of who's on the roster after the deadline.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 6, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
Alex Gordon could've been had pretty easily a few years ago, right? Before they moved him to left?

Not sure about easily, because he was the franchise player when he was drafted out of Nebraska....3B....the heir-apparent to Brett's legacy, etc.

It's kind of like the Tigers with Porcello. They weren't just going to give him away...but his asking price would have been at an all-time low when he was taken off 3B to ease the pressure and stuck in the the outfield at Omaha.

3 hits against lefties today (two by Gordon). Only one all season before this game.

56 pitches....5 outs.

Fastball was hammered. That tends to happen on 3-1 counts when hitters are sitting on it.

57 now for 6 outs.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
He's the type of guy that can get overexposed if he has to play every day. No shock, but Tampa used him perfectly last season and he ended up also having a career year. To me, he looks incredibly weak all around. He's not driving anything at the plate, as it doesn't seem like he's getting his legs into his swing at all. Thing is, a lot of teams were interested in him this offseason.

It was a logical move, with Morel's future, at best, cloudy to suspect.

It's also the type of "halfway" move like acquiring Teahen that set us back in the future...paying players like Keppinger and Teahen has seemed to add up to becoming a dead weight on our payroll....along with the likes of Crain and Thornton, who have come closer to earning their salaries.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 6, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)
Yeah, I couldn't remember. I thought that he was on the outs for awhile.

He was definitely on the outs for a while...but think of it this way, what would the White Sox have to give up to get Hosmer or Moustakas today? Neither one is producing, but the Royals aren't likely to just cut ties with them for cheap unless there's a personal issue or injury that they don't want to deal with.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 6, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
Yeah, I couldn't remember. I thought that he was on the outs for awhile.

They sent him to AAA as a 26 year old with about 1700 plate appearances in the majors. He did well and came back as a 27 year old really improved, something we have been taught at Soxtalk never happens.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2013 -> 02:00 PM)
You know it's bad when Wise is your most dangerous hitter.

7 for his last 14.

Why is it bad when a guy who is 7 for 14 is your most dangerous hitter? Who cares who it is? It would be sad if a guy who was 2 for 14 was your most dangerous hitter.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 6, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
Why is it bad when a guy who is 7 for 14 is your most dangerous hitter? Who cares who it is? It would be sad if a guy who was 2 for 14 was your most dangerous hitter.

Well said.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 6, 2013 -> 07:05 PM)
Shields throws strikes. Swing the bat

Having a plan at the plate = overrated. It's truly stunning how boring this offense is. They basically do nothing right at the plate.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 6, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
They sent him to AAA as a 26 year old with about 1700 plate appearances in the majors. He did well and came back as a 27 year old really improved, something we have been taught at Soxtalk never happens.

When has it happened with a Sox player we drafted and "developed"?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 6, 2013 -> 07:07 PM)
Alejando De Aza, a leadoff hitter striking out 30% of the time. Good f***ing lord.

4 players in everyday starting lineup that strikeout 27% of the time or higher.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 6, 2013 -> 02:12 PM)
Oh man, Keppinger STILL has 0 walks this season? That's incredible.

Very unorthodox considering we got him to be contact/obp type guy. Guess the White Sox culture rubbed off on him.