Danks could start Friday vs Miami

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
I would just have Danks keep rehabbing the arm until it is absolutely necessary to bring him up. Use a 6-man rotation if you have to. Skip guys when necessary. Keeping Danks away from starting in games is a bad thing, but the Sox (could potentially) have 6 good starters, and you should maximize that value. You won't get that with one of them in long relief.

Value, blah. The Sox need at least one guy in the pen who possesses the ability to get the ball from a starter to Jesse Crain and Addison Reed. Since Hector Santiago left the pen, we haven't had that, and our pen has been awful outside of those two guys. The biggest thing a team can do for the value of its players is put them in a position to be successful. So far the middle relief has been awful, and something needs to be done to tune that up, otherwise the whole team's value is going to go to s***.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either you run with a 6 man rotation of sorts, you demote Axelrod to the minors (he really does not belong in a bullpen), you move Santiago to the bullpen (also a possibility), or you trade one of these starters for some relief help. Teams that can use starting pitching that are, atleast in the early going, competitive are Milwaukee, Colorado, Anaheim, Oakland, and Baltimore (and this is in order of teams I think the Sox would like to deal with and would consider dealing). Milwaukee is a team that can get back in the race if their pitching stabilizes, even as far back as they are. What I would suggest is that the Sox would trade Axelrod (plus 1 other piece) for Axford and one of the two lefties, most likely Gonzalez. It's dangerous because Axford has been lighter fluid over the last 2 years, but his stuff is still there, and Gonzalez (and Gorzelanny) just signed their contracts this offseason, so it's early to be dealing them. But that sort of move really does help to stabilize a bullpen and add much needed depth.

Other teams have nice depth too, but I think the Angels would almost prefer taking a risk on Danks the way they throw money around (only half-joking here).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
I would just have Danks keep rehabbing the arm until it is absolutely necessary to bring him up.

There are $65M reasons why he makes the start Friday. They need to see where he is at and the Marlins are a good measuring stick.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)
Either you run with a 6 man rotation of sorts, you demote Axelrod to the minors (he really does not belong in a bullpen), you move Santiago to the bullpen (also a possibility), or you trade one of these starters for some relief help. Teams that can use starting pitching that are, atleast in the early going, competitive are Milwaukee, Colorado, Anaheim, Oakland, and Baltimore (and this is in order of teams I think the Sox would like to deal with and would consider dealing). Milwaukee is a team that can get back in the race if their pitching stabilizes, even as far back as they are. What I would suggest is that the Sox would trade Axelrod (plus 1 other piece) for Axford and one of the two lefties, most likely Gonzalez. It's dangerous because Axford has been lighter fluid over the last 2 years, but his stuff is still there, and Gonzalez (and Gorzelanny) just signed their contracts this offseason, so it's early to be dealing them. But that sort of move really does help to stabilize a bullpen and add much needed depth.

Other teams have nice depth too, but I think the Angels would almost prefer taking a risk on Danks the way they throw money around (only half-joking here).

It sounds great, but it is still pretty early for a deal of that magnitude.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)
It sounds great, but it is still pretty early for a deal of that magnitude.

I just suggested it in the other thread too, but I do think you're right. I don't think that sort of deal is far away though. Milwaukee is going to need young pitchers soon enough here either way, and getting rid of relievers they aren't going to have next year is a good way to start that process.

) -- John Danks believes he's just about ready to return to the Chicago White Sox's rotation.

The 28-year-old left-hander said after a bullpen session on Tuesday that he's ''getting excited about getting back out there'' after being sidelined for a year by a shoulder injury and hopes to make his first start this week.

''It's been a long process,'' Danks said. ''Hopefully it ends this weekend. I knew it was going to be a long process. We're still not there.''

Manager Robin Ventura wasn't quite ready to pronounce him ready, saying the White Sox were looking to see how he feels the next day and will probably announce a decision after Wednesday's game against Boston.

''So far, it looked good,'' Ventura said.

Either way, Danks appears close to a return after being limited to just nine starts last season. He hasn't pitched since May 19 of last year and had surgery in August to repair a capsule tear and remove debris in his rotator cuff and biceps.

He was hoping to be ready for the start of the season, but the White Sox placed him on the 15-day disabled list on March 26.

''I feel like I'm close to getting where my stuff was before I got hurt so, stuff-wise there won't be too much of a drop-off,'' he said. ''My biggest thing is throwing the ball where I want to and making it do what I want it to do. So the stuff is going to be fine.''

www.yahoo.com/sports

Well, one thing's for sure, if Danks gets lit up...some will definitely question him because of the Marlins' line-up being mostly AAAA fodder.

Conversely, if he pitches a gem, he'll be likewise doubted...what will happen when he faces a real line-up, like in the AL East?

Kind of a no-win situation, in many ways.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2013 -> 08:07 PM)
Well, one thing's for sure, if Danks gets lit up...some will definitely question him because of the Marlins' line-up being mostly AAAA fodder.

Conversely, if he pitches a gem, he'll be likewise doubted...what will happen when he faces a real line-up, like in the AL East?

If he pitches well, great. We get a win and Danks gets a very solid tuneup.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2013 -> 07:07 PM)

Maybe in your eyes. Some fans will realize he hasn't pitched in a year, so you can't expect perfection.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 23, 2013 -> 09:28 PM)
Maybe in your eyes. Some fans will realize he hasn't pitched in a year, so you can't expect perfection.

White Sox culture.

If we're making the argument that the team is still in contention and not aiming towards 2014, then 3 Daniel Hudson-esque starts in a row and he'll be relegated to the bullpen or Barry Zito status by a loud minority of fans, typically the ones that call into Rongey's post-game show.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2013 -> 11:10 PM)
White Sox culture.

If we're making the argument that the team is still in contention and not aiming towards 2014, then 3 Daniel Hudson-esque starts in a row and he'll be relegated to the bullpen or Barry Zito status by a loud minority of fans, typically the ones that call into Rongey's post-game show.

Thankfully the White Sox as an organization are smarter than making their personnel moves on what people say over message boards or a post game call in show.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2013 -> 07:07 PM)

If he pitches, it's a good sign. If the Sox score more than the Marlins, it's a win situation. If they don't, well, then we are dealing with a lose situation.

White Sox culture.

Those people and their opinions count for zero, zilch, nada.

White Sox culture.

You confuse White Sox culture with message board culture.

White Sox culture.

You call into Rongey's post game show?

This is a very interesting discussion, and some of you have made very good points.

If the Sox think that they can compete this year, isn't it really a question of who can best fill the various key roles?

Santiago may ultimately become a very solid starter, however left handed starting pitching is not a critical role that needs filling, right now.

That is especially true if Danks can build on last night's impressive return. I have my doubts, unless he can get a little more velocity back on his fast ball.

But then, he just may become Mark Buerhle, whom he reminded of last night.

Isn't one of the biggest voids on this team a good left handed set up man for the pen? Thornton is not the same pitcher he was when he filled that role so well.

As I said in an earlier post, Matt would be better suited as a LOOGY.

The Sox do not have any other reliable left handers for the pen.

Therefore, if Santiago could pitch the 7TH or 8TH, depending on match ups, he could be very valuable to this team.

Axelrod seems like he can aptly fill the role of 5TH starter, and is probably not well suited for any other role on this squad.

The Sox are not going to be trading any pitching, unless they are giving up on this year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...oreness-minimal

CHICAGO -- One day after his first major league start in over a year, John Danks said he felt better than expected.

Danks gave the Chicago White Sox six-plus innings and 76 pitches Friday, ultimately getting a no-decision in a game that turned into a 4-3 victory in 11 innings over the Miami Marlins.

The left-hander said his surgically-repaired shoulder held up well.

“I was able to get through the workout (Saturday) and do everything,” Danks said. “I don’t feel as stiff as expected. So far, so good.”

Danks’ velocity still isn’t where it once was, and Danks has been told there is a possibility that it might never be the same. But if he can compete like he did Friday night he won’t have any complaints.

“Doctors have told me that it won’t be until probably a year out of surgery before I feel right again, not that I don’t feel good now, but back to normal,” said Danks, who was operated on in August of last year. “I kind of knew that going in. I’ll kind of try to fight my way through this year and go out with what I have each night and give us a chance to win. Hopefully next year and beyond I’ll be back to where I was before surgery.”