Danks could start Friday vs Miami

Y2Jimmy0

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 14m

If things go well for John Danks tonight in Buffalo, look for him to start Friday against the Marlins at home

Merkin also mentioned that Robin and the staff discussed a 6 man rotation and it sounds unlikely. Merkin thinks that the rotation will be Peavy and the 4 lefties. What does this do to Axelrod? Does he become the long man with Omogrosso going back to Charlotte?

Also, Beckham and Angel Sanchez should be back within a week as well. Who goes down or gets DFA'd to make room?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 18, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)

If things go well for John Danks tonight in Buffalo, look for him to start Friday against the Marlins at home

Merkin also mentioned that Robin and the staff discussed a 6 man rotation and it sounds unlikely. Merkin thinks that the rotation will be Peavy and the 4 lefties. What does this do to Axelrod? Does he become the long man with Omogrosso going back to Charlotte?

Also, Beckham and Angel Sanchez should be back within a week as well. Who goes down or gets DFA'd to make room?

Greene and Wells

Danks is on the 15 day DL not the 60 day, so they don't need to DFA anybody. My guess is Omogrosso goes down and Axelrod goes to the pen.

I like Wells vs LHP but that's probably the move. Do we get a straight RL platoon at 3B with Keppinger and Gillaspie then do you think?

Well Gillaspie should definitely start vs RHP.

vs LHP:

Gillaspie .222/.222/.222

Keppinger .136/.130/.136

I don't think there really is a right answer.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 19, 2013 -> 07:37 AM)
What's his MPH been like? Do not want another Parque.

And is there a place on the major league roster for Sanchez? I don't see it.

Tyler Greene

QUOTE (Jake @ May 19, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)
Tyler Greene

Is Sanchez out of options? Tyler Greene has been fine off the bench outside of a few errors, but with Beckham coming back, I doubt we see Greene there much, if at all.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 19, 2013 -> 08:37 AM)
Is Sanchez out of options? Tyler Greene has been fine off the bench outside of a few errors, but with Beckham coming back, I doubt we see Greene there much, if at all.

Sanchez was Rule V, so he has to be sent back to previous team if he's not on our 25 man. Also plays SS, switch hits, and has more potential to become a starting caliber player (unlikely he does that, though)

QUOTE (Jake @ May 19, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)
Sanchez was Rule V, so he has to be sent back to previous team if he's not on our 25 man. Also plays SS, switch hits, and has more potential to become a starting caliber player (unlikely he does that, though)

He has to be offered back, but will they want him back, and if they do what really are the Sox losing? He is 29 years old, a little better tha Greene defensively, but Greene can at least hit LHP pretty well. Greene will probably go down so they have thwm both in case they need them, but losing either one most likely doesn't matter, and If I had to choose, I think Greene can help you more. If Greene were acquired before the rule 5 draft, I bet Sanchez would not have been selected.

Jon Heyman

Baseball Insider

Danks will make season debut Friday in Chicago

May 21, 2013 12:19 pm ET

White Sox lefthander John Danks is slated to make his comeback Friday with a start in Chicago against the Marlins, sources say.

Danks' season debut comes 10 months after shoulder surgery. He's made four starts while rehabbing in the minors, one at Double-A Birmingham and three at Triple-A Charlotte.

Danks' return comes at an important time for the White Sox, who are missing Gavin Flyd, who is out for the year with an elbow injury.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heym...iday-in-chicago

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 18, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
Well Gillaspie should definitely start vs RHP.

vs LHP:

Gillaspie .222/.222/.222

Keppinger .136/.130/.136

I don't think there really is a right answer.

Keppinger has a career .328/.370/.478/.848 line against LHP in his career over about 800 plate appearances. There is no doubt who you play at 3B against LHP.

I would just have Danks keep rehabbing the arm until it is absolutely necessary to bring him up. Use a 6-man rotation if you have to. Skip guys when necessary. Keeping Danks away from starting in games is a bad thing, but the Sox (could potentially) have 6 good starters, and you should maximize that value. You won't get that with one of them in long relief.

I would just have Danks keep rehabbing the arm until it is absolutely necessary to bring him up. Use a 6-man rotation if you have to. Skip guys when necessary. Keeping Danks away from starting in games is a bad thing, but the Sox (could potentially) have 6 good starters, and you should maximize that value. You won't get that with one of them in long relief.

There's a limit to how many days you can be in the minors for rehab before you have to come off the DL.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)

And it seems pretty unlikely that Danks will give you better numbers over the next month than anyone in the current rotation will.