Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
Ugh no, negotiating should be on the way out, with pricing information so readily available there shouldn't be so much scamming out there. You should be able to buy directly from the manufacturer, online, etc.

I hate that it has the reputation of scamming as well. Not everyone scams but negotiation certainly feels like it sometimes.

I literally negotiate everything that I possibly can. The Harley dealer I bought my bike from this summer almost told me to leave. I got them to buy back my used Ducati for way more than I paid for it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
I hate that it has the reputation of scamming as well. Not everyone scams but negotiation certainly feels like it sometimes.

I literally negotiate everything that I possibly can. The Harley dealer I bought my bike from this summer almost told me to leave. I got them to buy back my used Ducati for way more than I paid for it.

Buying/selling used is differently, if business/private sellers want to do that then fine, there shouldn't be as much regulation there. But a new car shouldn't be any different then a TV. Go do online research, do some test drives at designated dealerships or manufacturer's test drive sites, then purchase online or in person at your preference. Dealerships would still have a place in the car selling world, just like Best Buy, Target etc still have a place in the entertainment product world. But having hidden costs, crazy negotiations, etc is just stupid and we should move past that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 09:06 AM)

I don't really think the sales people are all that scummy...its the finance situation and I'm not sure that Tesla solves that issue. I honestly have no idea how the finance people can lie like they do. It is ridiculous.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 09:28 AM)
Buying/selling used is differently, if business/private sellers want to do that then fine, there shouldn't be as much regulation there. But a new car shouldn't be any different then a TV. Go do online research, do some test drives at designated dealerships or manufacturer's test drive sites, then purchase online or in person at your preference. Dealerships would still have a place in the car selling world, just like Best Buy, Target etc still have a place in the entertainment product world. But having hidden costs, crazy negotiations, etc is just stupid and we should move past that.

Saturn did that and while some people liked it, I think others didn't like it. And the reality is, TV's are on sale, etc, all the time. Very easy to have one person pay substantially more for a TV than another, because one person bought from here during X sale or had X coupons, etc. I don't actually think it is that much different than having people negotiate, other than you can more easily see the "sale" price of the TV at the variety of stores or use a tool like froogle or yahoo shopping.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
Saturn did that and while some people liked it, I think others didn't like it. And the reality is, TV's are on sale, etc, all the time. Very easy to have one person pay substantially more for a TV than another, because one person bought from here during X sale or had X coupons, etc. I don't actually think it is that much different than having people negotiate, other than you can more easily see the "sale" price of the TV at the variety of stores or use a tool like froogle or yahoo shopping.

Saturn had an interesting model. Basically, cars are sticker-priced for about 10% money to the dealer. They are negotiated to, on average, like 5%. Saturn basically set a flat difference for dealers in between, like 7%, and that was that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)
I don't really think the sales people are all that scummy...its the finance situation and I'm not sure that Tesla solves that issue. I honestly have no idea how the finance people can lie like they do. It is ridiculous.

Finance people at a dealership are the worst. Its the reason that I wont let them "take my trade in" until its all signed, because I will walk at that point

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
Yeah - depending on what I'm buying, I'll still just negotiate and ask if they can give me x% off or what else can they do.

An exchange I had at work a week or so back:

Phone caller: How much for one copy?

Me: Black ink or color?

Phone caller: Um, uh, um black.

Me: One copy would be $.10 on regular bond paper. There are quantity breaks if you run more than 100 copies.

Phone caller: I only need one. Do you have anything cheaper?

Me: I could draw it for you...

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 29, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)
An exchange I had at work a week or so back:

Phone caller: How much for one copy?

Me: Black ink or color?

Phone caller: Um, uh, um black.

Me: One copy would be $.10 on regular bond paper. There are quantity breaks if you run more than 100 copies.

Phone caller: I only need one. Do you have anything cheaper?

Me: I could draw it for you...

How much for one rib?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 07:59 AM)
That's the less expensive sedan, right?

Correct, there's been a ton of rumors that it will be a hatchback similar in design to the Model S (Musk loves hatchbacks for their utility) but that should all be announced then.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
Tesla launched it's unveiling of the Model 3, looks pretty great to me.

I reserved mine within the first minute it was open to reservations. Hope I get mine by January 2018.

Only thing that concerns me is the lack of dashboard. They got to add a hologram or some sort of HUD if they aren't going to put a screen there. Also, not sure why the "infotainment" screen is not set back in to the console. I wonder if maybe it swivels and rotates.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
I saw one the other day, ugly as can be.

I love the Model S, not so much for the Model X. I think the Model 3 gets them back on track though, finish out details nicely on it and I'm sold. The back isn't my favorite but the front of it is gorgeous.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 04:16 PM)
I love the Model S, not so much for the Model X. I think the Model 3 gets them back on track though, finish out details nicely on it and I'm sold. The back isn't my favorite but the front of it is gorgeous.

Yeah, Model S's are really nice and living out here, I see them all the time, amazing how many of them are on the road. But that X, man it was butt ugly.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
Yeah, Model S's are really nice and living out here, I see them all the time, amazing how many of them are on the road. But that X, man it was butt ugly.

I think they focused way too much on the tech side for it, and while the design looks pretty cool on a website it just looks out of place on the road. It's just too large for those curves and such.

I was going to give a brief update on my hybrid Sonata I bought a few months ago and just say that I absolutely love it. Very quiet, drives smooth, love the tech inside (wish I would have gotten the full tech package which would have included the full radar system vs. just the side mirror...damn them for making me buy navy plus other stuff I didn't want to get it) and just as importantly now feel spoiled. Have only filled up 3 times (today being the 3rd time) since getting in mid January and have just under 2100 miles on the car....averaging in the mid 40's in MPG and getting roughly 700 miles per 15 gallon tank.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
I was going to give a brief update on my hybrid Sonata I bought a few months ago and just say that I absolutely love it. Very quiet, drives smooth, love the tech inside (wish I would have gotten the full tech package which would have included the full radar system vs. just the side mirror...damn them for making me buy navy plus other stuff I didn't want to get it) and just as importantly now feel spoiled. Have only filled up 3 times (today being the 3rd time) since getting in mid January and have just under 2100 miles on the car....averaging in the mid 40's in MPG and getting roughly 700 miles per 15 gallon tank.

Man, sounds great. How much does the hybrid cost?