You're Hahn, who are you looking to trade first?

caulfield12

Pick the player you think it's important to move first  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which player has the most value now but is likely to lose some

• Jesse Crain
    • Matt Thornton
    • Matt Lindstrom
    • Alexei Ramirez
    • Alex Rios
    • Erik Johnson
    • Dayan Viciedo
    • Conor Gillaspie
    • Alejandro DeAza
    • Dylan Axelrod

Jesse Crain seems like a lock to be the #1 trade target for many teams looking to acquire a set-up guy or quasi-closer.

He has been close to perfect.

And, thinking more about the Peavy situation...Hahn will be able to "spin" that Jake Peavy being able to rest his arm in the middle of the season for 4-6 weeks (as long as he comes back at the end of July for 2-3 starts and flashes the 91-94 MPH fastball) might actually be a good thing, as it will prevent him from wearing down in August/September, the heat of the stretch drive.

OTOH, another Peavy injury raises a red flag for some teams, even if it's not surgery/shoulder/elbow-related.

Finding a buyer for Lindstrom and dumping Matt's salary aren't going to hurt the 2014 team, and can do nothing but help in terms of payroll/talent flexibility (adding some more Type B prospects to the low minors).

Then you're going to be left with the BIG decisions of keeping or trading Rios/Ramirez/DeAza, and who replaces them (in some cases, waiting for the off-season).

And how to honor Paul Konerko's career coming down the stretch. I don't think it makes sense to trade him to a contending team unless he's going to be more than a PHer (like Thome to the Dodgers in 2009). White Sox fans will want to say goodbye and see him finish out the season in Chicago unless he suddenly goes on a huge tear and someone wants to offer more than salary relief. A lot of it's up to Paul, his family and Reinsdorf. Trading him would symbolically end all ties to 2005 and sort of a passing of the torch to a new generation of Sox players.

If there's an offer on Axelrod that's enticing, go for it. How likely that actually is, we have no idea. He's been impressive, in many ways, our 2nd best starter all season behind Sale, and the one most likely to extricate himself out of difficult situations with runners on base. You do wonder how long he can keep that up...if his "luck" will turn or if it's going to be a more permanent characteristic of how he pitches.

At this point, would still rather see Sale/Danks/Quintana/Axelrod/Santiago and eventually Erik Johnson added into the mix as soon as Birmingham or Charlotte's season ends. If you can get him some playoff starts in AA or AAA, that's fine, too. Otherwise, you send him to Chicago and get him some experience for 2014.

You can mix in spot starts for Rienzo and Castro as well, just to see how they perform and react to failure at the big league level.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahn should come out and basically say that Sale is completely off the table, but everyone else, not so much. It would take a very interesting MLB ready young player - not some prospect by any means - to pry away Viciedo, Q, or Santiago, but even those guys should be available for the right kind of deal.

The Sox should probably get busy ASAP after the draft. Hahn's a contract guy but he needs to delegate responsibility & step away from focusing on pick signing unless it is an emergency situation. All scouts dispatched, make it known early that we're selling. When we get a team that is very interested in a key piece, that's when Kenny Williams pushes all the ladies out of bed, gets in his private jet, and does some real scouting work. We've got the personnel to make some nice moves here, but we can't f*** it up. Can't trade Crain, Rios, or Peavy for garbage. We don't necessarily need to "win" those deals from a talent perspective, that would be extremely difficult in the cases of Peavy & Alex, but we need talent and we need it now, not in a couple years.

I want Alexei on the table right now for sure, I want to read a Rosenthal piece saying that Alexei is almost certainly gone before the deadline. f***ing do it. Yeah. But maybe start out with Lindstrom, he's a good opening salvo. Pow. Yeah. Make that deal.

I'm also in favor of trading Alexei.

His brain cramps, refusal to take walks and inconsistencies are not going to change.

His power has disappeared this season.

Don't have an answer for who can replace him.

options are not good -- Beckham, Sanchez, Morel.

But it's a start to reducing payroll to find some future pieces.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 06:24 PM)
Who's going to play short if you trade Ramirez?

Two days ago you wanted ALexei taken out behind the barn & shot, now you're concnerned about Tyler Greene or whoever? Somehow I bet youre like those people who go from one end of the world cult to the next, you get all excited becasue some nut is trumpeting the end of days & how god is going to come down from the sky & all that s***, and you have your date, but each time you wake up all f***in disapointed because theres still a world goipng on, so yuou move to the next cult with the next date, always in disappointment that theres noever enough msiery, never a robot apocalypse, no vampires or zombies or either, and if yopure ever right and the world really does end i guaranteed youll compain about haveing to share it with coakroachees, youll be like "f***ing coackroaches i wish this damn world never ended" because you can never be happy. JMO.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 06:40 PM)
Crain is going to make someone very happy this summer. I was a fan of him when signed him and still am. He's a good dude and he whooped some ass in the White Sox uniform.

Crain in a Sox uni: 2.17 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 10.66 K/9

Crain I think has been the best FA Sox relief p[itcher signing since Dustin Hermanson, who still only pitched for like a half of a season (but to terrific results).

Sale is signed to a potentially SUPER TEAM FRIENDLY contract til like 2019. No way he goes for anything less than an unprecedented haul.

Crain has the highest value right now but Rios could potentially get the most if the market for impact bats dries up.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 07:48 PM)
Possibly a Profar/Olt combo.

But I honestly want Sale here for a long long long long time.

No.

I would move Sale for an MVP caliber guy in his early to mid 20s under team control for 5+ years who is healthy and already MLB proven and established.

With Harpers knee problem, that means Trout or maybe Machado.

That's it.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 06:45 PM)
Two days ago you wanted ALexei taken out behind the barn & shot, now you're concnerned about Tyler Greene or whoever? Somehow I bet youre like those people who go from one end of the world cult to the next, you get all excited becasue some nut is trumpeting the end of days & how god is going to come down from the sky & all that s***, and you have your date, but each time you wake up all f***in disapointed because theres still a world goipng on, so yuou move to the next cult with the next date, always in disappointment that theres noever enough msiery, never a robot apocalypse, no vampires or zombies or either, and if yopure ever right and the world really does end i guaranteed youll compain about haveing to share it with coakroachees, youll be like "f***ing coackroaches i wish this damn world never ended" because you can never be happy. JMO.

*Golf Clap* It's the Ultimate Champion of dime store psychologists. You have very little sense of humor, btw.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
Tim Anderson. Because he was rated 299th by someone somewhere.

Erik Johnson is totally random on this list too

I guess I could have included Quintana or Santiago, so instead added our hottest minor league prospect, just to be counterintuitive, since someone out there undoubtedly will still be making the argument we're not out of it for 2013 yet...those posters consistently bringing up the 1983 White Sox, 2005 Astros, 2006/2011 Cardinals, last year with the A's, etc.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
Tim Anderson. Because he was rated 299th by someone somewhere.

Erik Johnson is totally random on this list too

I guess I could have included Quintana or Santiago, so instead added our hottest minor league prospect, just to be counterintuitive, since someone out there undoubtedly will still be making the argument we're not out of it for 2013 yet...those posters consistently bringing up the 1983 White Sox, 2005 Astros, 2006/2011 Cardinals, last year with the A's, etc.

The other option for inclusion was Addison Reed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 07:51 PM)
No.

I would move Sale for an MVP caliber guy in his early to mid 20s under team control for 5+ years who is healthy and already MLB proven and established.

That's it.

Yea that simply will just not happen, & that's fine. Sale doesn't have to go ANYWHERE.

I take that back the ONLY young package I would EVER even consider is:

Paul Goldschmidt/Patrick Corbin/Didi Gregorius/Archie Bradley/Tyler Skaggs/Matt Davidson

A combo of any of those players & you will have my ear.

Sale is THAT GOOD

Edited by Noonskadoodle

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 05:51 PM)
No.

That's it.

Do you think the A's would trade Cespedes, or the Dodgers Puig (for Sale)?

For the A's, having some semblance of an offense has to be more important than MORE pitching.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 07:06 PM)
Do you think the A's would trade Cespedes, or the Dodgers Puig (for Sale)?

For the A's, having some semblance of an offense has to be more important than MORE pitching.

Sox would want more than just Puig. He's off to a hot start but no one knows if he is a sure thing.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 05:49 PM)
We lose Thornton, Crain and Lindstrom to either trades or FA this offseason. Wouldn't mind any of these relief pitchers to replace them. All are FA.

Matt Belisle (mutual option)

Joe Smith

Pat Neshek

Eric O'Flaherty

Mike Gonzalez

JP Howell

If they trade Rios/Ramirez/DeAza, the odds of competing next year go down dramatically.

You might sign a couple of those guys on "bargain" contracts, especially a lefty to fill the Thornton/Veal/Santiago roles...with Santiago back starting...but more than two, you're blocking the progress of some younger pitchers like Castro, Rienzo, Petricka, Webb, Santos Rodriguez, etc., who are more likely to be important in the next 2-3-4 seasons.

Edited by caulfield12