Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
I don't think Alexei is a good fit with Boston, at all

"Cards emerge as darkhorse for Peavy" is the bottom line ticker on MLB show "The Rundown".

I mentioned that last night, Wong was not in the Memphis lineup or the night before and there is no injury. That was in addition to the Cards promoting a AA 2B to Memphis and a Hi-A 2B to Springfield. I felt last night and I feel today that something is happening althought I am not sure of what.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)
"Cards emerge as darkhorse for Peavy" is the bottom line ticker on MLB show "The Rundown".

I mentioned that last night, Wong was not in the Memphis lineup or the night before and there is no injury. That was in addition to the Cards promoting a AA 2B to Memphis and a Hi-A 2B to Springfield. I felt last night and I feel today that something is happening althought I am not sure of what.

I wonder if a package of Martinez Wong and another player for Peavy would be good.enough?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
I wonder if a package of Martinez Wong and another player for Peavy would be good.enough?

I think it would get a deal done but I don't think Mozeliak will surender any of Miller, Wacha, or Martinez. I know that is not what White Sox fans want to hear but that is what I beleive.

I think Wong could be the headliner. I do think Tyler Lyons could also be part of it. He is a very nice starter. I could see one of Piscotty or Ramsay being included and, finally, someone like Sam Freeman. There is also Ryan Jackson or Greg Garcia if the White Sox are so inclined. I really don't know how to play GM!

I do think the Cardinals would take all of next year's salary and most of the remaing this year.

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:12 PM)
I think it would get a deal done but I don't think Mozeliak will surender any of Miller, Wacha, or Martinez. I know that is not what White Sox fans want to hear but that is what I beleive.

I think Wong could be the headliner. I do think Tyler Lyons could also be part of it. He is a very nice starter. I could see one of Piscotty or Ramsay being included and, finally, someone like Sam Freeman. There is also Ryan Jackson or Greg Garcia if the White Sox are so inclined. I really don't know how to play GM!

I do think the Cardinals would take all of next year's salary and most of the remaing this year.

Call me crazy, but I'd be more than a little disappointed if we gave up Peavy and cash for a deal centered around Wong. I don't know enough about prospects to know how fair that deal would be overall, though.

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:12 PM)

I dont think the Sox make a deal that is headlined by Wong unfortunately, especially with the way Beckham has played this year. That could obviously go out the window though if they somehow get a deal lined up with the Pirates for Rios and Alexei.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
I think Wong would be a really nice second piece in a deal for Jake.

I'd rather have Joc Pederson or Chris Owings headline a deal. All about that, cheap, young, well rounded talent up the middle.

I would love to get Pederson, but can't see how Peavy fits in LA next season with Kershaw, Greinke, Billingsley, Ryu, and Beckett all under contract.

Hell I had a Cardinals fan tell me they wouldnt give up even Wong for Peavy and we should prepare to be gravely disappointed in the return for Peavy.

That talk just makes me laugh. If we arent getting the value we want for Peavy then keep him. We have the leverage here.

If Hahn were to trade with the Cardinals, I'd try to get Carlos Martinez. I think a Peavy for Wong, Martinez and Kelly would be a pretty solid deal.

If Cardinals don't want to include Martinez then I would do Peavy and Lindstrom for Wong, Carson Kelly, Jenkins, Piscotty and Ramsey.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
Hell I had a Cardinals fan tell me they wouldnt give up even Wong for Peavy and we should prepare to be gravely disappointed in the return for Peavy.

That talk just makes me laugh. If we arent getting the value we want for Peavy then keep him. We have the leverage here.

Agreed. If the Cardinals want to improve their team and make a deep post season wrong, they will have to get rid of some assets. If not, then Sox will move on to another team or will just keep Peavy as he is a key piece to the rotation.

Yes, and don't forget he can still be traded in December.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 02:22 PM)

All signs point to Wong, at least for me. He is a top 50 prospect so he is not chopped liver. I've got a lot of names that could also be included but it impossible to list all of them. I have even gone as far to think that Freese might be included but I don't really think so.

Here are some of the names that I think are possible: Lyons, Cooney, Whiting, Fornataro, Valera, Ramsay, Piscotty, Wisdon, Tilson, Blair, Swaggerty, and Cody Jones.

C. Martinez is the weakest of their top tier pitching prospects and the one that's most likely headed for the bullpen. I imagine Wong/Martinez/small piece is more than they want to give up, but given the barren market for starters of the quality, it seems like a reasonable winning bid.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
Yes, and don't forget he can still be traded in December.

Exactly....the only problem for us is a year away when the 2014 trade deadline comes around. There is a whole lot of moves that need to be made until then. We may not be sellers at that point who knows.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)
If it was Wong, would that mean Beckham moves to SS? Or can Wong play elsewhere in the IF?

That's only if Alexei goes with Peavy or Alexei goes to Pittsburgh with Rios is a possibility. But if it was Peavy AND Alexei to the Cardinals, if I'm Hahn, I would ask Martinez and Wong and 2 or 3 more players. But the centerpiece can't be Wong.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)

Exactly, it's a sellers market and we have the best players available. If teams are going to low-ball us, I could see Hahn holding some chips until the last few minutes of the deadline and hoping another GM does something stupid as time is about to run out. If no one blinks, then you look into moving Peavy & Rios in the offseason or simply keep them. Basically, we have all the leverage here, at least with guys like Peavy & Rios.

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:31 PM)
All signs point to Wong, at least for me. He is a top 50 prospect so he is not chopped liver. I've got a lot of names that could also be included but it impossible to list all of them. I have even gone as far to think that Freese might be included but I don't really think so.

Here are some of the names that I think are possible: Lyons, Cooney, Whiting, Fornataro, Valera, Ramsay, Piscotty, Wisdon, Tilson, Blair, Swaggerty, and Cody Jones.

I have no problem with Wong. It just irritates me when other fans think that this is a rental situation and their teams have leverage to low ball us that we'll ultimately accept. Its not the case at all. I'll actually be pretty happy if we keep Jake. The price should be as high as the Garza trade and for good reason

Edited by Baron

I like Wong, but I too am concerned about him being a centerpiece. There is a good chance that he is an .800 OPS player that plays slid D, but practically no chance of better. Screw all these other young guys, Wong + Adams and you have a deal.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:45 PM)
Cubs got 3 of the top 15 Rangers prospects for a rental in Garza. Peavy worth at least that much if not more. just keep that in mind. If the Sox don't get at least that, just keep him.

Agreed. Peavy makes so much sense to DBacks because now their falling back and they have the position prospects Sox want/need.