Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
I'm liking the early trade winds, love hearing Hahn is asking for top prospects from each team, if we are able to get Xander (BOS), Bundy (BAL), Russel (OAK) that's a start of an amazing return all 3 of those guys are going to be legit stars. Personally like I said last night it will be Boston or St. Louis it just makes too much sense for these teams. I would like it to be STL Or Bos. Personally if we can get Martinez (size ?'s or not this guy has electric stuff, I see him as a Pedro Martinez type) and/or Adams or Wong + 2-3 prospects in the 15-30 range. I believe Hahn comes out on top and we will be talking about his first deadline in a few years when these guys are all hitting the field.

If Bundy is the centerpiece of a Peavy deal, then Rick Hahn failed miserably. I don't care how talented Bundy is. You don't give up the top pitcher on the market for a guy who just had major surgery. The Sox aren't trading Paul Malholm here. Not everybody recovers well from Tommy John either.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:14 AM)
Since Peavy is scheduled to start tomorrow, teams acquiring him should be motivated to make a deal before then. They could get an extra start out of him this season.

Tough decision for Hahn though, do you set a deadline like Theo did, or put a spot starter in there and take the extra time?

Personally I think you have to set a deadline, we have Rios and others to trade.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:16 AM)
How much negotiation do you think is done via text vs phone?

Good question, I bet most of the preliminary negotiona are done through text and then once it gets more serious the phone are picked up. It would be a cool show if they just followed a GM around for a week before the deadline and gave fans all access on how it goes. I know we had "The Show" about our very own just wasn't as detailed as I hoped.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:18 AM)
If Bundy is the centerpiece of a Peavy deal, then Rick Hahn failed miserably. I don't care how talented Bundy is. You don't give up the top pitcher on the market for a guy who just had major surgery. The Sox aren't trading Paul Malholm here. Not everybody recovers well from Tommy John either.

I don't think anyone would be saying Hahn failed miserably if we landed Bundy, surgery or not. The track record for that procedure is quite good.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:20 AM)
Good question, I bet most of the preliminary negotiona are done through text and then once it gets more serious the phone are picked up. It would be a cool show if they just followed a GM around for a week before the deadline and gave fans all access on how it goes. I know we had "The Show" about our very own just wasn't as detailed as I hoped.

Ah yes, when Kenny couldn't help himself and had to get Edwin Jackson...who may or may not have been going to Washington for Dunn. Good times.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
Ah yes, when Kenny couldn't help himself and had to get Edwin Jackson...who may or may not have been going to Washington for Dunn. Good times.

I think it was Bowden who was reporting that with Dunn and quickly deleted it.....man did that suck

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
I don't think anyone would be saying Hahn failed miserably if we landed Bundy, surgery or not. The track record for that procedure is quite good.

+1

It's a risk for sure but so is Peavy and so WAS Peavy when we traded for him in the first place. No doubt that a Bundy/Peavy trade would be one Rick is judged on for his career, good or bad. but i'd have faith in the FO doing enough work on him to know whether or not the risk is worth while.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:14 AM)
Since Peavy is scheduled to start tomorrow, teams acquiring him should be motivated to make a deal before then. They could get an extra start out of him this season.

The Sox shouldn't start him tomorrow. It doesn't matter to us if we trade him Tue or Wed. By starting him, his value is decreased as teams will get 1 less start out of him (or 4/5 less of a start). He's had sufficient post-injury auditions. We don't need to cut our own throat.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 08:54 AM)
if Rick is able to land Xander, Bundy, Russel, or any two of (Martinez, Wong, Wacha, Adams from the Cards). i think everyone on this board would be ecstatic

I would be. I'd be happy with 1 top 50 prospect.

I didn't figure him to land a top 50 prospect for Peavy. I'd even take the Baltimore prospect if the meds check out.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:18 AM)

Didn't Strasburg also came back from a TJS last season and still struck out 200 in 160 innings while still hitting 95-97 MPH consistently? TJS is very common these days, there's no reason Bundy can't revert back to his old self in 2 years.

Plus, the possibility of Sale and Bundy atop the rotation for the decade or so is too good to turn away from.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 10:29 AM)
The Sox shouldn't start him tomorrow. It doesn't matter to us if we trade him Tue or Wed. By starting him, his value is decreased as teams will get 1 less start out of him (or 4/5 less of a start). He's had sufficient post-injury auditions. We don't need to cut our own throat.

The Sox ought to go into tomorrow with every intention of starting him unless someone meets their price. Having him set as the starter should be the motivation to get a deal done before the outing.

Didn't Strasburg also came back from a TJS last season and still struck out 200 in 160 innings while still hitting 95-97 MPH consistently? TJS is very common these days, there's no reason Bundy can't revert back to his old self in 2 years.

Plus, the possibility of Sale and Bundy atop the rotation for the decade or so is too good to turn away from.

It was 159.1 innings and not a single inning more.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:29 AM)
The Sox shouldn't start him tomorrow. It doesn't matter to us if we trade him Tue or Wed. By starting him, his value is decreased as teams will get 1 less start out of him (or 4/5 less of a start). He's had sufficient post-injury auditions.

Starting him would also show the Sox would be content keeping him. If teams want to play games, play games right back. His value is decreased for the acquiring team this year by one start but the total package shouldn't change. I think while it won't be the original asking price because you should aim high, Hahn will ultimately get what he originally was willing to trade him for or more by tomorrow afternoon. If not, start him. Why settle?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
I will gladly claim Hahn made a terrible trade if he gives up Jake Peavy for a minor leaguer going through Tommy John surgery.

I know some kids that get TJ just to have it and come back throwing harder. Very common surgery now a days.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:37 AM)
It is still relatively common for a pitcher to never be right again after TJS. Maybe 1 out of 20. It's not a no-risk endeavor

Sure, and prospects bust all the time as well. There is definitely risk involved, but that is the case whenever you are making deals for prospects.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 02:37 post=)
It is still relatively common for a pitcher to never be right again after TJS. Maybe 1 orecently 20. It's not a no-risk endeavor

A lot higher that for the not the same pitcher odds. Wikipedia has an article on TJS and a notable pitcher section. A lot of those were done relatively recent and they certainly did not come back the same.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
The Sox ought to go into tomorrow with every intention of starting him unless someone meets their price. Having him set as the starter should be the motivation to get a deal done before the outing.

Why do we care if the deal is done Tuesday? The drop-dead deadline is Wednesday anyway.

What we care about is getting the most out of him we can, not dealing him by Tuesday.

The Sox can posture all they want, and not pull Peavy from his scheduled start until the last minute, but they'd be dumb not to trade him before then. It sounds like they're getting plenty of offers from different teams. It's time to force team's hands today for best and final offers and pick one. I still say he gets traded today sometime....Tuesday morning at the latest.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
Why do we care if the deal is done Tuesday? The drop-dead deadline is Wednesday anyway.

What we care about is getting the most out of him we can, not dealing him by Tuesday.

If you make the Peavy move happen, other dominoes have time to fall.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
Sure, and prospects bust all the time as well. There is definitely risk involved, but that is the case whenever you are making deals for prospects.

Then you are doubling the risk. Not only is it possible that Bundy may have been a bust without surgery, then you have to be certain that he comes back 100% from the surgery which is not a guarantee either. Just don't see it as the smartest move given Peavy's value right now.