2014 Draft class

caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 8m

Our Draft experts take their First-round guesses: @jimcallisMLB says Tyler Kolek, @JonathanMayoB3 says Jeff Hoffman.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rticle_73746266

I'm a believer in Hoffman, but if the Sox took him over Aiken, I would be disappointed.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
I'm a believer in Hoffman, but if the Sox took him over Aiken, I would be disappointed.

With the amount of work they've put in, I would say they are taking the pitcher they believe to be the best. Frankly, from everything I've read and seen, I wouldn't be upset with any of Rodon, Hoffman, Kolek, or Aiken.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 07:12 PM)

I too am a fan of Hoffman. If Kolek is taken then it would be Hoffman.

For the draft people who know about the over slot money and signing, can you guys help me with a question.

First my confession, I have a bid dislike for anything name Boras. however first Rodon is picked by the sox at

#3, we can offer him how much ?

does that mean he or his agent can't ask for more money than the allotted money for that pick, so if they do,

we either pay it of get a comp pick right.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
I too am a fan of Hoffman. If Kolek is taken then it would be Hoffman.

For the draft people who know about the over slot money and signing, can you guys help me with a question.

First my confession, I have a bid dislike for anything name Boras. however first Rodon is picked by the sox at

#3, we can offer him how much ?

does that mean he or his agent can't ask for more money than the allotted money for that pick, so if they do,

we either pay it of get a comp pick right.

The slot value for the #3 pick is just over $5.7 million.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 06:16 PM)
The slot value for the #3 pick is just over $5.7 million.

And that's the problem. The Sox could go a little bit over but not a ton. They have like $9.5 million to spend on their first 10 picks. Pittsburgh drafted Mark Appel at #8 overall two years ago. Pittsburgh signed the rest of their 9 top 10 draft selections and really only had like $3.2 million slot value available. Appel had to either take that or go back to school. It's just so hard now to go overboard in the first round.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 1, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
Brandon Finnegan is missing his start again this week. That's his second injury over the last several weeks. He's one of my favorite prospects in this draft. Even though he is short and so many scouts have him pegged for the bullpen I think he'll be a pleasant surprise for whoever ends up getting him. The arm is legit despite his size. If he was 6' 2" instead of 5' 11" he'd be a surefire top ten pick. I know everyone expects us to pick a position player with our second pick, but if he's a guy who free falls I hope he doesn't get past the Sox.

my pick would be arms, arms and then a positional player if he is ranked. we really need a catcher.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 1, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
my pick would be arms, arms and then a positional player if he is ranked. we really need a catcher.

It's extremely unlikely that anyone picked in this draft will satisfy the White Sox's immediate need for a catcher. You draft guys expecting them to take 3-4 years or more to get to the big leagues except for occasionally the first or 2nd round picks. You don't know whether the White Sox will be in need of a catcher in 2018 nor do I. They could very well draft a couple catchers because every organization could use players, but you should never draft based on the needs of the MLB ballclub. By the time the guys you draft are ready to fill those needs, you will have different needs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
It's extremely unlikely that anyone picked in this draft will satisfy the White Sox's immediate need for a catcher. You draft guys expecting them to take 3-4 years or more to get to the big leagues except for occasionally the first or 2nd round picks. You don't know whether the White Sox will be in need of a catcher in 2018 nor do I. They could very well draft a couple catchers because every organization could use players, but you should never draft based on the needs of the MLB ballclub. By the time the guys you draft are ready to fill those needs, you will have different needs.

what you are saying is very true.... however we still some young catchers in the org

QUOTE (LDF @ May 1, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
what you are saying is very true.... however we still some young catchers in the org

There are some. NSS will tell you the guy at BHam right now has some promise, Sammy Ayala is in extended spring training and he's barely 18. They could of course use more, but most teams could.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
There are some. NSS will tell you the guy at BHam right now has some promise, Sammy Ayala is in extended spring training and he's barely 18. They could of course use more, but most teams could.

We may still have something in Josh Phegley or Adrian Nieto. It is way to early to know if we do or don't for both of them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
We may still have something in Josh Phegley or Adrian Nieto. It is way to early to know if we do or don't for both of them.

I was just focusing on the lower levels of the system, where I'll admit we don't seem to have a whole lot right now. But the problem with saying it's a need is that who knows what the big league team will look like in 2018, when guys like that would arrive. We could have traded for or signed a big name catcher to a long-term extension before then and it wouldn't matter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
I was just focusing on the lower levels of the system, where I'll admit we don't seem to have a whole lot right now. But the problem with saying it's a need is that who knows what the big league team will look like in 2018, when guys like that would arrive. We could have traded for or signed a big name catcher to a long-term extension before then and it wouldn't matter.

At the lower levels, I have no idea what we have to be honest.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
At the lower levels, I have no idea what we have to be honest.

I believe Sammy Ayala is the only interesting young catcher we have. IIRC, he was a HS kid that we drafted late and threw a good amount of money at to convince him to sign. He may be a switch-hitter, but I can't remember.

How much can Boras be involved with Rodon's negotiation and not kill Rodon's eligibility to pitch NCAA baseball ever again?

I understand "advisor". Does that mean he can be his agent for "free" and just negotiate out of the kindness of his heart with the "hope" once said contract is signed Rodon makes him his agent? Or is it some sort of contingency where if he doesn't sign Boras doesn't get paid, but if he does Boras collects because at that point eligibility isn't an issue? I know some players have been busted for this. Personally, I don't find anything wrong with hiring an agent and if you don't sign, retaining eligibility, but obviously there are rules, and where the line is drawn on those rules, I have no idea.

Edit:

Looks like Boras wouldn't have any direct contact with the team that drafted Rodon:

It is permissible for you to have an advisor but not an agent) without jeopardizing your eligibility at an NCAA school. Under NCAA regulations, you and your parents are permitted to receive advice form a lawyer or other individuals concerning a proposed professional sports contract, provided that the advisor does not represent you directly in negotiations for the contract. In this regard, it is permissible for an advisor to discuss with you the merits of a proposed contract give you suggestions about the type of offer you should consider. In order to maintain your eligibility at an NCAA school, however, you may not use this advisor as a link between you and the professional sports team. Rather, you must view the advisor as an extension of your own interests and not as a source to contact a professional team. If you use the advisor as a direct contact with a professional team, the advisor shall be considered an agent, and you will have jeopardized your eligibility at an NCAA school. For example, an advisor may not be present during discussions of a contract offer with a professional team or have direct contact (i.e., in person, by telephone, email or mail) with the professional sports team on your behalf. Finally, it is important to note that in order to maintain your eligibility at the NCAA school, if you receive assistance from an advisor, you will be required to pay that advisor at his or her normal rate for such services.

I know this is probably abused, but IIRC the White Sox were one team that actually blew the whistle on a player using an "advisor" incorrectly.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2014 -> 06:12 PM)
How much can Boras be involved with Rodon's negotiation and not kill Rodon's eligibility to pitch NCAA baseball ever again?

I understand "advisor". Does that mean he can be his agent for "free" and just negotiate out of the kindness of his heart with the "hope" once said contract is signed Rodon makes him his agent? Or is it some sort of contingency where if he doesn't sign Boras doesn't get paid, but if he does Boras collects because at that point eligibility isn't an issue? I know some players have been busted for this. Personally, I don't find anything wrong with hiring an agent and if you don't sign, retaining eligibility, but obviously there are rules, and where the line is drawn on those rules, I have no idea.

I always felt that falls in the realm of don't asked don't tell department. I will also admit, when Boras is involve, I can't

speak nicely without ref him to some turd on the sidewalk. but this the new draft cap, I remember reading where he was or

should I say the player was asking for the moon. I remember last yr draft, but I forgot the players name.

maybe I am wrong with my petty dislike.

FWIW, catchers are notorious for being very late bloomers. Not uncommon for very decent catchers to seem to come out of nowhere when they are 27-30 years old. Honestly, Flowers is the type of guy that is on a very conventional catcher career track. I don't know that he will be one that actually turns into a good starting catcher, but spending a long time in the minors, then some unexceptional years as a backup, an unexceptional run as a starter, and then finally getting it at an advanced age is a pretty common deal.

Keith Law stated on Buster Olney's podcast (today's edition) that he thinks the White Sox will select Erick Fedde with the third pick right now. Said Hoffman's elbow pain is worrisome and will cause him to drop. That would be an ultra disappointing selection. Law did not say it with any sort of confidence, however. But I can understand Hoffman over Rodon if the medicals check out on Hoffman, but Fedde over Rodon would be disappointing.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 1, 2014 -> 07:08 PM)
Keith Law stated on Buster Olney's podcast (today's edition) that he thinks the White Sox will select Erick Fedde with the third pick right now. Said Hoffman's elbow pain is worrisome and will cause him to drop. That would be an ultra disappointing selection. Law did not say it with any sort of confidence, however. But I can understand Hoffman over Rodon if the medicals check out on Hoffman, but Fedde over Rodon would be disappointing.

Interesting. Fedde also has Boras as an advisor. He's a legit 1st rounder but not worthy of the 3rd overall pick. One would have to assume the Sox would sign him at a savings if he's the selection, allowing them to grab a guy that falls to to the 2nd round. Still all rumors though.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 1, 2014 -> 07:08 PM)

Fedde who?

5 weeks to go.

This draft class seems to be garbage. Well, maybe not garbage, but not the year to have the 3rd pick. They probably have just as good a chance to get an impact player at #44 or #77.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 1, 2014 -> 09:29 PM)
Fedde who?

5 weeks to go.

This draft class seems to be garbage. Well, maybe not garbage, but not the year to have the 3rd pick. They probably have just as good a chance to get an impact player at #44 or #77.

This seems like the opposite of what almost everyone else had said this year.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:29 PM)
Fedde who?

5 weeks to go.

What? If the Hoffman injury is serious, it only hurts the Cubs. There are three players who could legitimately go #1 overall and no one would bat an eye. Whoever falls to us at 3, get the damn deal done and we got 1-1 talent at 1-3. All will be tough signs, but thats the nature of the beast that high in the draft.