Jesse Crain dealt to Tampa Bay

southsider2k5

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 02:14 AM)
Olney talking about Crain going potentially as a conditional trade based on appearances.

That's interesting. Does baseball allow trades like this? This in effect is trading a guy, and what you get in return is based on how the guys you traded performs. To me, that's kinda shady. When you make a trade, there should always be risk on both sides.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)
Kevin Gregg just pitched three days in a row. I guess the Sox aren't the only organization that lets trade bait actually take the mound before the trade deadline.

Just as an aside, I want to meet the team that says to itself "What our bullpen needs in the playoffs is Kevin Gregg".

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 12:33 AM)
Just as an aside, I want to meet the team that says to itself "What our bullpen needs in the playoffs is Kevin Gregg".

Well get your dancing shoes out of the closet because you will meet that team this week. He will be traded.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:51 PM)
Shack ...

A wrestler? Oh no, man. The great Cecilio ("Cy") Acosta was a Mexican relief pitcher who joined the Sox in June of 1972 as part of that really enjoyable 1972 Sox team, that featured 20 year olds Terry Forster and Rich Gossage in the bullpen. Loved that team and Cy Acosta (good old #41) has long been one of those "blast from the past names" that some of my contemporaries enjoy hearing. His baseball card is my avatar! That's no wrestler, man!!! ;)

As for your post, I think you're misunderstanding me. You're suggesting with language like "this sort of usage" or "using a product incorrectly" that I'm implying that Crain was used incorrectly. I think nothing of the sort. So I never get to your rhetorical question of "does that only make the practice of misuse unacceptable when harm does occur."

When I say that Crain was perhaps borderline overused, I mean that he was on the cusp of being used more than I might have preferred (given factors relevant to Crain's career). I simply wish circumstances had been different so that we had the option to "baby" him a little. Unfortunately: (a) there really wasn't a way around it since we've got to try and win games during that May time when he was used so much, and (b) it wasn't as if he was used in an unreasonable or excessive way, instead he was used slightly more, just minimally more, than I might have preferred. That's baseball. Gotta play the game with the players on the roster. Cy, the Goose, and that "Fat tub of Goo" weren't available! ;)

Personally, I think going back in time and looking at the past from what we know now (Jesse being injured; this Sox team, essentially sucking) is a great disservice to Ventura or Coop, UNLESS they used him wayyyyyyyyy too much, in a way that was way out of the bell-curve. And they didn't. In my opinion, most of his heavy use happened in May, as they battled to get to .500 in very late May. He barely pitched during the 9 game losing streak because he wasn't needed. Then he pitched a few games ... was off to give his arm a week breather ... pitched a few more games ... and then the DL stint. He's a paid, professional pitcher that was part of a bullpen. His manager and pitching coach leaned on him, but in a way that you need to be able to lean on a quality professional. Sure, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, had we known that his arm wouldn't hold up, then we might have babied him. However, had we done that, professional scouts would have also recognized that they couldn't rely on a pitcher like that anyway, so poof, there goes his trade value as well. Damned if you do; damned if you don't.

It's unfortunate for Jesse that his injury likely curtailed his career year; it's unfortunate for the White Sox that his injury happened when it all but eliminated any real trade value (although, I still think someone will take a flyer on him on a PTBNL type trade); but no way do I think anyone is "guilty" of mis or overusing him.

Speaking of the '72 team. When I moved into my new house about 8 years ago, I was talking to my neighbor, got to talking baseball and how I was Sox fan. It turns out her dad pitched for the Sox in '72 and '73. She brought me over his baseball card. His name is Jim Geddes and he only pitched in 11 games over the two seasons but it was still very cool that he pitched for the Sox.

I met him a couple weeks later and it was fun talking about those teams because that's when I was growing up, really started getting interested in baseball, and was on my way to becoming a huge Sox fan.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
a 3 team deal? weird that a trade involving Crain (likely to be for a PTBNL) would require a 3 team deal. I have to believe it is part of a bigger deal (i.e Rios, Peavy or someone else leaving as well)

I think they would of mentioned that in the article though