Gordon Beckham

JohnCangelosi

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
Would you guys give Beckham a 3 year deal at $10 million right now? Would he even take it? Or are you guys saying that we should wait and sign him to like a 5-6 year below market at season's end if he keeps this up? Either way, he'd still be a tradeable asset whenever.

Hitting like he is now could make him a $10 million annual player, especially when you add in the D.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)
A month of good baseball is not worth an extension. If he is still hitting like this next year, then offer an extension. If he does not take it, that is a risk I take.

because if you wait until Beckham puts these numbers up next year, you end up having to pay him even more

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
Would you guys give Beckham a 3 year deal at $10 million right now? Would he even take it? Or are you guys saying that we should wait and sign him to like a 5-6 year below market at season's end if he keeps this up? Either way, he'd still be a tradeable asset whenever.

Sure. Isn't Kepp making more than 3 mill a season? At the worst, Beckham is way better than Kepp.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 09:54 PM)
Sure. Isn't Kepp making more than 3 mill a season? At the worst, Beckham is way better than Kepp.

$3.5 million in 2013, $4.0 million in 2014 and $4.5 million in 2015, according to the team.

Similar to the infamous Teahen deal/extension.

It's a little early to judge.

His numbers just look weird at this point. He's not going to hit .342 (obviously). He's not going to only walk 3% of the time (god I hope not). And the power will come back eventually.

Gordon's had notoriously low BABIPs in his career and some of that had to do with luck and some of it had to do with his batted ball rates. Perhaps this new approach has changed that.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 09:50 PM)
It's a little early to judge.

His numbers just look weird at this point. He's not going to hit .342 (obviously). He's not going to only walk 3% of the time (god I hope not). And the power will come back eventually.

Gordon's had notoriously low BABIPs in his career and some of that had to do with luck and some of it had to do with his batted ball rates. Perhaps this new approach has changed that.

Gordon's poor BABIP had to deal with the fact that he rarely hit the ball hard. Nothing more then that. It wasn't bad luck. Thankfully for about the first time since he came up, he's looking relatively natural at the plate (and hitting the ball hard consistently). And if he does figure things out...that would be Rios, Dunn, and Becks who would have rebounded and been solid players under Manto. Hell, AJ had a career year with Manto too a year ago.

I can't blame him for the s***ty offense since we have a relatively untalented lineup.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 11:00 AM)
Hitting like he is now could make him a $10 million annual player, especially when you add in the D.

No. Beckham's BABIP is .389. Paying him $10 million a year due to good production over 150 PA is absurd. And yes, it's a stretch to assume he'll keep up this production for his next 300 PA.

I hope his BA falls, his BB% rises, and his power rises. He should still be an .850 OPS player in that case. Hard not to be encouraged, but he's far from a sure thing. On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time that at a 25-year-old just happens to "find it." If so, we're lucky he didn't "find it" on someone else's team.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
I hope his BA falls, his BB% rises, and his power rises. He should still be an .850 OPS player in that case. Hard not to be encouraged, but he's far from a sure thing. On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time that at a 25-year-old just happens to "find it." If so, we're lucky he didn't "find it" on someone else's team.

We have seen the "power" Beckham. I'll keep this one every day. His stroke is much closer to his college one.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)
We have seen the "power" Beckham. I'll keep this one every day. His stroke is much closer to his college one.

I feel his power will come back, but on line drives, once his wrist is fully healed.