7/22 Games

flavum

QUOTE (jthunder93 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 08:31 PM)
Ayala is really showing off his arm...threw out his 9th runner of the season. Caught stealing percentage is a solid 56.25%

He still does have 9 passed balls in 11 games behind the plate though.

His batting average is up to .275 after going 1-for-2 with a BB so far today.

Stoner got his first RBI of the season, and brought his average up to .200.

9 passed balls!?!?!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jthunder93 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 09:01 PM)
Right. Also, for the 9 passed balls, I guess that's less than 1 per game (11 games). He does need to cut that number down, though.

What weird delay?

Crikey, that is a lot of passed balls. He's just 19 though.

I was referring to how he was seemingly getting passed over for playing time early in the short season.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 09:20 PM)
Crikey, that is a lot of passed balls. He's just 19 though.

I was referring to how he was seemingly getting passed over for playing time early in the short season.

I'd have to guess that he'll get some next season. Also, he is a very young 19. His birthday was only 10 days ago!

This is from the pre-draft scouting report...

QUOTE (jthunder93 @ Jun 16, 2013 -> 07:24 PM)
"Ayala's three-sport prowess kept him somewhat under the radar in baseball circles, but he made a name for himself at the Southern California Invitational at the MLB Urban Youth Academy in June, hitting an inside-the-park homer against top prep lefthander Max Fried and an RBI single to the opposite field against righty Andrew Potter. A standout defensive end in football, Ayala has a physical, 6-foot-2, 205-pound frame. He projects for average or slightly better power down the road, but scouts are divided on whether he will hit. He tends to get pull-happy and is vulnerable against soft pitches away or hard pitches in. He'll look bad at times in the batter's box, but his feel for hitting has improved and should solidify once he focuses on baseball. Ayala's arm is above-average, but his receiving and blocking is a work in progress. He moves well enough to play a corner outfield spot, but plenty of scouts think he has a chance to stick behind the plate. A club that believes in his power and defense could take him as high as the second or third round, while other teams would be content to let him go to UC Santa Barbara" (Baseball America Scouting Report).

This certainly wasn't unexpected (.82 PB/game, but throwing out 56% of runners)

Edited by jthunder93

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:49 AM)
I'm starting to get on the Semien bandwagon. I'm still not convinced that he'll be more than a utility player in the Majors, but it's starting to look like he will at least get his shot.

Out of curiosity, what is causing hesitation about his potential to be an everyday 2B?

I think we know who to blame for Snodgress losing his no-hitter. Talking about an active no-hitter is a cardinal sin in baseball.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 09:04 PM)
Snodgress has a no-no still through 7

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 09:18 PM)
Snodgress will be taking a no hitter to the 9th.

Audio

http://www.iheart.com/live/3085/?autoplay=true

"Baseball is a unique game in the fact that many of those who play it are some of the most superstitious people in sports...There are [a] set of superstitions that exist as general baseball laws. These are quirks and weird rules that entire teams must follow. One of the biggest ones is not talking about a no-hitter or a perfect game while a pitcher is in the process of performing one. This rule also applies to anyone at the stadium or watching the game from somewhere outside the stadium. It’s considered the ultimate jinx to mention the possibility of the event, and the person who usually breaks this rule is immediately public enemy number one. Strangely, it seems that whenever someone mentions a no-no or a perfect game while it’s happening, it miraculously is broken up sometime soon after. This is the reason that you’ll quite often see a pitcher secluded in a corner of the dugout if he’s closing in on the milestone while the rest of his teammates sit as far away as possible." -- Real Clear Sports

Edited by jthunder93

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 08:38 PM)
Snodgress no-hitter thru 6.

Semien 2 homers.

I've been looking around for some comparable performances from a plate discipline stand point to Semien and I'm having some trouble find people. Ben Zobrist comes to mind all though Zobrist was 25 at AA and Marcus is only 22 this image is coming into this game.

k39X9VK.png

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 10:41 PM)
Semien Trout comparisons looking more legit

Doing some more digging, Marcus Giles looks like a fair comp both in terms of age, level, handedness and position.

Giles at age 22 in 533 plate appearances at AA in the southern league had the following line .290/.388/.472 with 72BB/71K (13.5BB% | 13.3K%) and 17HR and 25SB/5CS.

There are 43 remaining games for the barons so it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Seimen surpass those totals and if that happens i believe we're looking at a top 40-60 prospect in all of baseball (note: after that season in AA Giles was regarded as the 54th best baseball prospect).

I think i found my comp for him. A potential 15/15 MI that might have the ability to stick at SS we can only hope that maybe he would produce a 6.5WAR season like Giles did in '03. Last note Semien is 12 points below his career MILB BABIP so that average should come up a bit.

quick side note i just did the math on Giles' BABIP that season it was .312 very close to Semien's .310

Also when calculating BABIP why don't they take into account sacrifice bunts?

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 09:07 PM)
Doing some more digging, Marcus Giles looks like a fair comp both in terms of age, level, handedness and position.

Giles at age 22 in 533 plate appearances at AA in the southern league had the following line .290/.388/.472 with 72BB/71K (13.5BB% | 13.3K%) and 17HR and 25SB/5CS.

There are 43 remaining games for the barons so it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Seimen surpass those totals and if that happens i believe we're looking at a top 40-60 prospect in all of baseball (note: after that season in AA Giles was regarded as the 54th best baseball prospect).

I think i found my comp for him. A potential 15/15 MI that might have the ability to stick at SS we can only hope that maybe he would produce a 6.5WAR season like Giles did in '03. Last note Semien is 12 points below his career MILB BABIP so that average should come up a bit.

Semien's numbers look pretty similar to Ian Desmond's numbers, they were both in A+ ball at age 21 and AA at age 22 so the comparison is pretty close. Semien edges Desmond out in a lot of categories including fielding, the only real statistical advantage Desmond had over Semien was in stolen bases.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 12:22 AM)
Semien's numbers look pretty similar to Ian Desmond's numbers, they were both in A+ ball at age 21 and AA at age 22 so the comparison is pretty close. Semien edges Desmond out in a lot of categories including fielding, the only real statistical advantage Desmond had over Semien was in stolen bases.

In all honesty I don't see that comparison at all, In all seriousness how are you getting that comparison and how does that come to your mind? I'm not trying to be a jerk.

DOzJsbh.png

graph taken from fangraphs

Also with regards to his defense

A California boy with serious defensive chops at shortstop, White Sox prospect Marcus Semien slashed a tidy .273/.362/.471 with 14 homers in his first taste of high-A ball in 2012, stepping up his game from the year before. While the power surge was a pleasant surprise, Semien has long been known as a well-rounded athlete with a full toolbox, showing a soft glove and strong arm at shortstop, a patient eye at the plate and plus speed on the bases. Already a fast-riser, he'll be rocketing up prospect lists if that power increase turns out to be for real.
link